PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

Septa3371CSX1

its amazing just how this system dries up on weekends if nothing is going on like a snow storm.
This weekend was very quiet. The past few weekends had plenty of activity from PGC with hunters and such but they were very quiet this weekend. Now if PSP was in the clear (even if just on the dispatch channels) then we'd likely hear plenty from them.

phillydjdan

Joe, I watch the PSP activity on Unitrunker sometimes. Philly barracks is about as active as Delco Sector 5 and the suburban barracks are all about as busy as Delco Sector 7.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
This weekend was very quiet. The past few weekends had plenty of activity from PGC with hunters and such but they were very quiet this weekend. Now if PSP was in the clear (even if just on the dispatch channels) then we'd likely hear plenty from them.
But we all know that will never happen because PSP thinks all their comms are super sensitive and "top secret." But if that were the case wouldn't you think they would have chosen a more secure form of encryption like AES-256 instead of their chosen ADP/ARC4 which is exponentially easier to break than AES-256.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
But we all know that will never happen because PSP thinks all their comms are super sensitive and "top secret." But if that were the case wouldn't you think they would have chosen a more secure form of encryption like AES-256 instead of their chosen ADP/ARC4 which is exponentially easier to break than AES-256.
PSP uses the AES-256 algorithm, not ADP.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Are you sure? Every other state radio I've gotten ahold of has been using ADP.
I'm 100% positive, and I'm not sure what you mean by "every other state radio" where you're seeing ADP in use. Are you referring to other agencies that have encryption capability? Who, specifically?

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I'm 100% positive, and I'm not sure what you mean by "every other state radio" where you're seeing ADP in use. Are you referring to other agencies that have encryption capability? Who, specifically?
I know Columbia County for certain when they make the switch to the state system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201221-162107_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-162107_Gallery.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 45

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Columbia County ≠ PSP
I know one doesn't equal the other I'm just stating what I know about the system. If I'm wrong just tell me that or better yet educate me on who's using what encryption algorithm so I don't get it wrong again

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I know one doesn't equal the other I'm just stating what I know about the system. If I'm wrong just tell me that or better yet educate me on who's using what encryption algorithm so I don't get it wrong again

From PSP's public website:

"Secure AES FIPS 140-2 encrypted communications"

Perhaps what is showing up in your display is a default listing? I don't think they would employ AES for state and fed agencies and then have counties using ADP.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Perhaps what is showing up in your display is a default listing? I don't think they would employ AES for state and fed agencies and then have counties using ADP.
APX radios will display any and all algorithms the radio is capable of when either a) put into service mode or b) if an INFO soft key is programmed. If only KG 1 ADP appears, then the radio is not capable of AES.

I would be curious if that mobile @W7FDX looked at is using SECURE SW or SECURE HW to see how they are keyloading them. Could be that they went the cheapo route with software ADP, which is a no-cost option for a single ADP key in all mid and upper tier APX radios (6x00, 7x00, 8x00 series). I don't see why the state would care which algo a local/county agency is using, just as long as the state agencies are using AES.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
APX radios will display any and all algorithms the radio is capable of when either a) put into service mode or b) if an INFO soft key is programmed. If only KG 1 ADP appears, then the radio is not capable of AES.

I would be curious if that mobile @W7FDX looked at is using SECURE SW or SECURE HW to see how they are keyloading them. Could be that they went the cheapo route with software ADP, which is a no-cost option for a single ADP key in all mid and upper tier APX radios (6x00, 7x00, 8x00 series). I don't see why the state would care which algo a local/county agency is using, just as long as the state agencies are using AES.
The radio I had access to was an APX 4500 but their portables are 8000s. Do you have an email I can send you with the info I have because radioreference will not let me send you a message at all.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The radio I had access to was an APX 4500 but their portables are 8000s. Do you have an email I can send you with the info I have because radioreference will not let me send you a message at all.
Is your yahoo email current? I'll send you an email to that if yes.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Some plowing ops TG's monitored/recorded off the Lehi05 site. Tall site but amazing I can RX it 50 miles away. Perhaps someone more local can add area details before it goes into the DB.
11522​
(Lehi05) plow rt 39 /863 Lehigh
11523​
(Lehi05) plow Allentown Rt22 Lehigh
11524​
(Lehi05) Plow Lehigh

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Those are all PennDOT D5 Lehigh County talkgroups.

11520 5-3 Lehigh Main
11521 5-3 Lehigh Crew 20
11522 5-3 Lehigh Crew 30
11523 5-3 Lehigh Crew 40
11524 5-3 Lehigh Spare

JimBobTerp

Some plowing ops TG's monitored/recorded off the Lehi05 site. Tall site but amazing I can RX it 50 miles away. Perhaps someone more local can add area details before it goes into the DB.
11522​
(Lehi05) plow rt 39 /863 Lehigh
11523​
(Lehi05) plow Allentown Rt22 Lehigh
11524​
(Lehi05) Plow Lehigh

can u post the audio if u recorded some of the active

JimBobTerp

All right I understand and I’ll try to see if I can ever grab a hold of Northampton County PennDot to confirm those even though they are in database

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
All right I understand and I’ll try to see if I can ever grab a hold of Northampton County PennDot to confirm those even though they are in database
They are already confirmed, see my post right above yours.