PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

Ok, so if we have the site located properly maybe you can advise a better name for it? Rich Hill seems a little north of the location and is a better fit for the site where the PEMA repeater is. Best I can tell that fire tower was called Chestnut Ridge but not 100% on that. A quick look at the PA SCIP and FCC licenses doesn't list any name for FAYE60.

CHESTNUT RIDGE
Fayette County

November 5, 1952: "An 80-foot fire tower will be built on Chestnut Ridge along the Springfield-Connellsville Township line, half a mile south of Route 711, District Forester Loren R. Brown announced.
The tower will replace Banning Knob lookout and serve as a key observation point for forest fires in Northern Fayette and Southern Westmoreland Counties. It will be linked by radio with the three steel 80-foot towers at Jumonville, Pond Field and Sugar Loaf Knob, near Ohiopyle.
Forest Inspector George B. Martin will direct erection of the tower, which is being moved from a site near Marienville." (The Charleroi Mail)

Call it Chestnut Ridge or Connellsville.

Last edited:

talviar

CHESTNUT RIDGE
Fayette County

November 5, 1952: "An 80-foot fire tower will be built on Chestnut Ridge along the Springfield-Connellsville Township line, half a mile south of Route 711, District Forester Loren R. Brown announced.
The tower will replace Banning Knob lookout and serve as a key observation point for forest fires in Northern Fayette and Southern Westmoreland Counties. It will be linked by radio with the three steel 80-foot towers at Jumonville, Pond Field and Sugar Loaf Knob, near Ohiopyle.
Forest Inspector George B. Martin will direct erection of the tower, which is being moved from a site near Marienville." (The Charleroi Mail)

More appropriately I would call it "Springfield Pike" since it is less than a 1/4 mile off of that road and is at the top of the pike as the locals refer to that location. Many refer to the top of the mountain along 711 as "The top of the pike". This is almost in my back yard. Banning Knob is down in the valley at Banning and not on the mountain.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
CHESTNUT RIDGE
Fayette County

The tower will replace Banning Knob lookout and serve as a key observation point for forest fires in Northern Fayette and Southern Westmoreland Counties. It will be linked by radio with the three steel 80-foot towers at Jumonville, Pond Field and Sugar Loaf Knob, near Ohiopyle. Forest Inspector George B. Martin will direct erection of the tower, which is being moved from a site near Marienville." (The Charleroi Mail)

This is what I read too, but I think Chestnut Ridge describes that whole mountain peak from south near Fairchance to north near Derry. The reference to Banning was just indicating the fire tower near the site we are talking about was replacing the one there. But yeah this is the closest to an official name for the fire tower as I could find.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Not sure if this has already been discovered, but from the Ellendale site, I'm getting a neighbor of site 018 on 858.4875. From my location in Harrisburg, I am unable to decode anything on 858.4875. WRAD754 indicates site possibilities of Market Street HBG city, Northern Dauphin Co (Bear Valley Road), Ellendale, East Hanover Twp Lebanon Co, and Biglerville Adams County.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this has already been discovered, but from the Ellendale site, I'm getting a neighbor of site 018 on 858.4875. From my location in Harrisburg, I am unable to decode anything on 858.4875. WRAD754 indicates site possibilities of Market Street HBG city, Northern Dauphin Co (Bear Valley Road), Ellendale, East Hanover Twp Lebanon Co, and Biglerville Adams County.

That would be the unconfirmed Wiconisco Site.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/ind..._Radio_Network_(PA-STARNet)_P25_Site_Research

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Okay cool. I regularly travel up and down 81 so I'll try to see if it's online. If I can't hear it from that far, next time I'm in Hegins I'll try to receive it.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
You might wanna try all these.. (y)
1.18 Wiconisco / Lykens DAUP37 858.4875
1.53 Ellendale / Middle Paxton DAUP01 856.0125
1.73 Fort Indiantown / Jones LEBA74 858.0875
all are believed to be online, just not confirmed yet.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I've noticed there is never any participation from the eastern part of the state on this thread.

I've monitored the thread from the beginning but very rarely participate. Mostly because I'm in the north east part of the state and we're apparently the last part of the state to be done so I don't know what I'd be able to add yet.

Alternately I also have zero clue how everyone finds the new licenses to search for anything in my listening ranges and/or how everyone is doing the ID'ing of everything once they find the sites. Other than that, though, I eagerly await being able to see how it goes with everything in this part of the state. :)

ocguard

I've monitored the thread from the beginning but very rarely participate. Mostly because I'm in the north east part of the state and we're apparently the last part of the state to be done so I don't know what I'd be able to add yet.

Alternately I also have zero clue how everyone finds the new licenses to search for anything in my listening ranges and/or how everyone is doing the ID'ing of everything once they find the sites. Other than that, though, I eagerly await being able to see how it goes with everything in this part of the state. :)

Finding the licenses for a system like this isn't easy. I've dabbled in it only twice and that was enough for me (especially since I subsequently found out that they've already been hunted and published in the wiki). It involves going through a ULS license search for "Pennsylvania commonwealth of" one-by-one to see which ones are in the right band and the locations you're looking for.

Then you get them loaded into your scanner only to find that the sites you've "discovered" aren't live yet and/or that every PSP channel is strapped encryption.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Finding the licenses for a system like this isn't easy. I've dabbled in it only twice and that was enough for me (especially since I subsequently found out that they've already been hunted and published in the wiki). It involves going through a ULS license search for "Pennsylvania commonwealth of" one-by-one to see which ones are in the right band and the locations you're looking for.

Then you get them loaded into your scanner only to find that the sites you've "discovered" aren't live yet and/or that every PSP channel is strapped encryption.

Agreed. I've tried a few times to search for things on this plus I keep looking to see if anything for my county's future P25 system ever shows up. I'm probably not searching properly or efficiently though so I'm sure others will find anything long before I do. But when those much more efficient in their searching find those things I'll be keeping my ears open to see what shows up on the stuff I can monitor here in my hole in the ground.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin

talviar

Based on the license data and ambiguous naming of the fire tower it's not even on anyway, i'm just going to call it Connellsville and move on.

Good call- this particular part of the mountain has too many local names to pick one...... Crown calls this particuar site Connellsville