PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

Twister_2

Feed Provider
It's funny you post this because just this morning I stumbled across a new CC on VHF. I've been monitoring it all day. I'll attach everything I know about it thus far.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,097
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 2,049
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 2,094
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 2,061

Twister_2

Feed Provider
It appears somebody has been attempting to affiliate with ID 1 to the system but it has been denying them. Either that or unitrunker is messed up.

Attachments

• affiliator.jpg
    affiliator.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,976

ekim223

Recently I started picking up a very strong signal in Crawford County on 154.257500, with a NAC 941.
So far, I have heard no voice or data on this freq. just a strong carrier. I am close to the Warren county line.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Testing up in Warren Co is supposed to start this coming week. Looks like somebody was fiddling with some radios today. Also looks like they were encrypted (note the P4 in the images) which indicates an encrypted transmission.

I happened to be in the Harrisburg area today, so this was off the Ellendale site. I will not be out there again for a few weeks, at least.

Attachments

• pa-phase2-01.JPG
    pa-phase2-01.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,655
  • pa-phase2-02.JPG
    pa-phase2-02.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,725

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Testing up in Warren Co is supposed to start this coming week. Looks like somebody was fiddling with some radios today. Also looks like they were encrypted (note the P4 in the images) which indicates an encrypted transmission.

I happened to be in the Harrisburg area today, so this was off the Ellendale site. I will not be out there again for a few weeks, at least.

I'm going to plead ignorance to how the latest scanners and software work, as my last scanner purchase was a 396XT quite a few years ago. However, I live in Erie and I want to be ready to monitor the testing this fall. I plan to buy a 436 and a 536 scanner. Could you explain a little bit about your post that shows your monitoring of the Warren County testing? Do I need software to follow the Erie testing, or can I just follow it on the scanner itself?

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Anyone in Dauphin County have any new control channel activity on this repeater at Ellendale?
Might also want to search the 700/800 band for a new P25 II control channel.
As the system testing in NW is underway, there will also be a live site in the Harrisburg area since that is where the radio system admin folks are located.

WQVR895 (PENNSYLVANIA, COMMONWEALTH OF) FCC Callsign Details

For what it's worth, I spend every other weekend at a friend's place in Marysville, literally straight across the river from Blue Mountain. Frequent entertainment in the summer is watching the transmitter sites take bolts in thunderstorms.

There's been crews up there quite a few times through this winter, far more than normal. Are they planning on putting the Harrisburg site up on Ellendale Forge on Sharp Mountain or over on Blue Mountain? Seems like the only place that would give Troop H and Newport Barracks coverage on that part of the West Shore.

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
For what it's worth, I spend every other weekend at a friend's place in Marysville, literally straight across the river from Blue Mountain. Frequent entertainment in the summer is watching the transmitter sites take bolts in thunderstorms.

There's been crews up there quite a few times through this winter, far more than normal. Are they planning on putting the Harrisburg site up on Ellendale Forge on Sharp Mountain or over on Blue Mountain? Seems like the only place that would give Troop H and Newport Barracks coverage on that part of the West Shore.

All I know is what is on the FCC license. Ellendale tower site is on Stony Mountain which is the third ridge north of Harrisburg on the east side of the river...the one that starts just NE of the town of Dauphin.

Blue Mtn
Second Mtn
Stony Mtn
Peters Mtn

Second and Peters match the ridges on the west side that make the Cove Mtn V shape between Marysville and Duncannon. Blue Mtn is the ridge at the Rockville Bridge.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm going to plead ignorance to how the latest scanners and software work, as my last scanner purchase was a 396XT quite a few years ago. However, I live in Erie and I want to be ready to monitor the testing this fall. I plan to buy a 436 and a 536 scanner. Could you explain a little bit about your post that shows your monitoring of the Warren County testing? Do I need software to follow the Erie testing, or can I just follow it on the scanner itself?

My post contains screen captures of Unitrunker. I was running it with a PRO-106 plugged in to the computer. While the PRO-106 cannot decode Phase 2 audio, it works fine running with Unitrunker to decode the control channel data.

The screen caps in my post show radio ID's on the left ("Source ID"). The "Target ID" shows either the talkgroup ID or the radio ID depending on what is happening.For calls (PTT's) and joins (Channel affiliations) it shows the talkgroup. The "Source Label" and "Target Label" columns are blank because I have not tagged anything since i have no idea what is what, yet. I only collected data for a few hours on Saturday while I was in the Harrisburg area. The "SVC" column shows special codes that can tell you more about what is happening. In this case, the P4 code indicates "protected" or encrypted comms at priority level 4 (the default priority level on most systems).

The 65536 talkgroup is most likely a patch. Talkgroup 10136 is an unknown right now...may end up being what the radio techs use for testing. Sometimes they operate encrypted even if that won't be common on the system. Time will tell.

This data was decoded from the control channel on the Ellendale site near Harrisburg.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
All I know is what is on the FCC license. Ellendale tower site is on Stony Mountain which is the third ridge north of Harrisburg on the east side of the river...the one that starts just NE of the town of Dauphin.

Admittedly I didn't even think to check the license. If it's Ellendale Radio Site then I'll have basically line of sight of it when I'm there. I'll let Unitrunker, etc run uninterrupted for the entire weekend when I'm out there next week.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
i believe its at least a year out before it will come down this way. have to do more buildout up in northwest area first. Only have one site online

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
i believe its at least a year out before it will come down this way. have to do more buildout up in northwest area first. Only have one site online

Four towers are online...one in Dauphin and three in Warren. Coverage will be expanded to the entire NW area later this year. From there, expansion will move into SW PA and then to SC PA. After that, SE PA, NE PA, and finally, NC PA. The rollout is a five year plan ending in 2022.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Anybody see/hear system traffic today? This is the week coverage testing starts in Warren Co. PennDOT, PSP, and DCNR should be heard in Warren Co at some point in the near future.

ryan433pk

Premium Subscriber
65536 is the where the system transmits the CWID

Continuous Wave Identification.

It is a Morse Code broadcast of the transmitter site's FCC Callsign (7 digit alpha numerical).

It is broadcast every 30 minutes usually on the last active channel in the trunk group for that tower.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
My post contains screen captures of Unitrunker. I was running it with a PRO-106 plugged in to the computer. While the PRO-106 cannot decode Phase 2 audio, it works fine running with Unitrunker to decode the control channel data.

The screen caps in my post show radio ID's on the left ("Source ID"). The "Target ID" shows either the talkgroup ID or the radio ID depending on what is happening.For calls (PTT's) and joins (Channel affiliations) it shows the talkgroup. The "Source Label" and "Target Label" columns are blank because I have not tagged anything since i have no idea what is what, yet. I only collected data for a few hours on Saturday while I was in the Harrisburg area. The "SVC" column shows special codes that can tell you more about what is happening. In this case, the P4 code indicates "protected" or encrypted comms at priority level 4 (the default priority level on most systems).

The 65536 talkgroup is most likely a patch. Talkgroup 10136 is an unknown right now...may end up being what the radio techs use for testing. Sometimes they operate encrypted even if that won't be common on the system. Time will tell.

This data was decoded from the control channel on the Ellendale site near Harrisburg.

Thanks for the info. Would you consider Unitrunker to be the best software to monitor this system? Is it difficult to use?