PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

Drachen_Fire

Butler's PENNDOT office is still on OpenSky. I know two guys that work there. One told me he's heard nothing, the other told me that he was told they're "going back to low band". Now that the stockpile is on the new system, they've got to be seeing rollout soon. Apparently, the new radios aren't even in the trucks yet.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Butler's PENNDOT office is still on OpenSky. I know two guys that work there. One told me he's heard nothing, the other told me that he was told they're "going back to low band". Now that the stockpile is on the new system, they've got to be seeing rollout soon. Apparently, the new radios aren't even in the trucks yet.

I suppose, if you are going from 800 to mostly VHF and don’t know much about radios, that could certainly be misconstrued as “going back to lowband”.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I suppose, if you are going from 800 to mostly VHF and don’t know much about radios, that could certainly be misconstrued as “going back to lowband”.
I just hope they learn some radio etiquette now that they can be listened to with a scanner again. I would listen to them on Open Sky mostly during snowstorms and most of them didn't care what they said, I even heard one guy say " I don't give a F*** what I say since nobody on a scanner can hear us anyway."

radio3353

I just hope they learn some radio etiquette now that they can be listened to with a scanner again. I would listen to them on Open Sky mostly during snowstorms and most of them didn't care what they said, I even heard one guy say " I don't give a F*** what I say since nobody on a scanner can hear us anyway."

LOL. Well, he wasn't wrong :giggle: (but it begs the question from an inquiring mind...how did you hear them on Open Sky? Access to a work radio?)

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
LOL. Well, he wasn't wrong :giggle: (but it begs the question from an inquiring mind...how did you hear them on Open Sky? Access to a work radio?)
Our fire department has a few Open Sky radios because of being involved in the statewide rescue task force plus I'm involved with EMA at the county level so I have access to the system that way as well.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
etiquette hasn't improved..
That honestly doesn't surprise me. I have heard some of the PennDOT guys especially the older ones calling the Open Sky radios a fancy CB and they talk exactly like that's what it is. What talkgroup was that on just out of curiosity?

u2brent

OAMPT
Possibly DOT 8-7 Willow Street Stockpile 11 Lancaster Co

At least there's something to listen to :LOL:

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
PennDOT just conducted a statewide roll call of all districts and counties on 11593. Started Wednesday 10AM completed at 10:30. The roll call followed the maintenance district outline in the PennDOT wiki. I submitted the TG. It was a mix of open sky and P25. The channel was called "statewide." When the roll call was completed, the channel was turned over for "emergencies."
This was copied on the Allegheny Region simulcast and Penn Hills 800 sites.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Is anyone using quick keys on a Uniden to manage the state system? For as long as I have owned this 436, I have never grasped the quick key concept. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have the state P25 system in its own favorite list (assigned key 1). In that list, STARNET is assigned key 1. I then have four sites assigned to key 1 and two sites to key 2. When I enter 1.1.1, it seems to me I should then just be scanning the four sites I assigned to this key combo. But, no. Same with 1.1.2...I would think I would just monitor the two sites assigned to that combo.
Again, no. This 436 makes me feel kinda old.