PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

u2brent

OAMPT
Sorry I have no answer.. :LOL:
I have 'em assigned (obviously 100 is not enough for this one) but pretty much never use them.
I usually delve into the menu to turn sites & systems off/on that way.. Far easier than trying to remember what was on; what was off; and on again using the QK method... o_O I will drill down to a specific TG on occasion.. Saves my brain..

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
For really large systems, location control is a lot easier to use than quick keys.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Sorry I have no answer.. :LOL:
I have 'em assigned (obviously 100 is not enough for this one) but pretty much never use them.
I usually delve into the menu to turn sites & systems off/on that way.. Far easier than trying to remember what was on; what was off; and on again using the QK method... o_O I will drill down to a specific TG on occasion.. Saves my brain..

Up until recently, I have just been going in and turning on and off specific sites as I move through areas. This feature is buried in the submenus, though, and not at all convenient to do when mobile...I usually have to wait until I am stopped at a light or pull over for a minute when travelling. It would be much nicer to just do a few quick button pushes.

Not being able to figure out this quick key business is one reason I really dislike my 436.

As for the location control...never tried it as I don't have the GPS add on.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
@HM1529 You should simplify things a bit. Are you only scanning the STARNet system when you're most concerned about turning sites on/off? If yes, then first ditch the QK assigned to the system itself. It's redundant, as you only have one system in the favorites list. Assign a QK only to the favorite list itself, leave the system alone (anything not assigned a QK will be always on by default).

You can assign QK to the sites, either one unique QK per site, or you can also group a few together under the same QK.

Once you have that done, and you are scanning the STARNet favorite list...you need only press .no .no 1 to toggle the sites assigned to QK 1 on/off.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Up until recently, I have just been going in and turning on and off specific sites as I move through areas. This feature is buried in the submenus, though, and not at all convenient to do when mobile...I usually have to wait until I am stopped at a light or pull over for a minute when travelling. It would be much nicer to just do a few quick button pushes.

Not being able to figure out this quick key business is one reason I really dislike my 436.

As for the location control...never tried it as I don't have the GPS add on.
You only need GPS if you're mobile. For a base station, you can get your coordinates from Google Maps (they are in the URL once you scroll anywhere) and manually enter them in Sentinel or the scanner menu. If you import stuff from the database it's tagged with its location, and if you turn location control on in the favorite list, the scanner will automatically scan only stuff near the location you entered. You can save location presets, so if you travel between two or more locations and don't scan en route, you can switch programming simply by selecting the correct saved location.

But if you want to scan while moving, GPS is the only practical option.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
hmm...I think I might have finally figured out how to do what I wanted to do. The feedback here and a Youtube video got me headed in the right direction.

Thanks all.

I might actually be getting the hang of these quick keys.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone using quick keys on a Uniden to manage the state system? For as long as I have owned this 436, I have never grasped the quick key concept. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have the state P25 system in its own favorite list (assigned key 1). In that list, STARNET is assigned key 1. I then have four sites assigned to key 1 and two sites to key 2. When I enter 1.1.1, it seems to me I should then just be scanning the four sites I assigned to this key combo. But, no. Same with 1.1.2...I would think I would just monitor the two sites assigned to that combo.
Again, no. This 436 makes me feel kinda old.

Are you hitting the "E" ? 1.1.1 E

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Are you hitting the "E" ? 1.1.1 E

It was possibly dumber than that. The way I have my favorites lists set up, I am usually just turning them on and off via the menu to activate what I want to monitor. So, when I decided to try using the quick keys option to add flexibility to my STARNET favorite list, I was overlooking the fact that the STARNET favorite list had to be active alreay in the scanner before the quick key system would work. I was operating under the idea that the quick keys would turn the favorite list on and off and that when I hit the combination, I would get what I wanted. As it turns out, I needed to first go into the menu system to turn on that favorite so that it could then be toggled on/off using in parts using the quick key system.

I've got it working, but I still don't like it.

#crankyoldman

druhe

Premium Subscriber
It was possibly dumber than that. The way I have my favorites lists set up, I am usually just turning them on and off via the menu to activate what I want to monitor. So, when I decided to try using the quick keys option to add flexibility to my STARNET favorite list, I was overlooking the fact that the STARNET favorite list had to be active alreay in the scanner before the quick key system would work. I was operating under the idea that the quick keys would turn the favorite list on and off and that when I hit the combination, I would get what I wanted. As it turns out, I needed to first go into the menu system to turn on that favorite so that it could then be toggled on/off using in parts using the quick key system.

I've got it working, but I still don't like it.

#crankyoldman

I just bought an SDS 100 last week, I feel your pain, believe me. I'm re-organizing daily, lots of head banging on the desk.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Be patient. It's all different, but once you get the hang of it all you'll never want to go back. The Profile and Favorite List design is particularly useful if you want to program multiple scanners with similar, but not 100% identical stuff.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Be patient. It's all different, but once you get the hang of it all you'll never want to go back. The Profile and Favorite List design is particularly useful if you want to program multiple scanners with similar, but not 100% identical stuff.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've been following your posts/tips in other threads very helpful thank you. It is getting easier with everyday and curse word. And now back to the discussion at hand, Pa StarNet..........

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Was anyone able to hear any Plow comms during the snowstorm? Do the plows even have the new radios yet?

u2brent

OAMPT
Haven't seen anything PennDOT from District 6 yet... Looks like 8 is getting acclimated to their new radios..
Can confirm Lancaster & York are full on.. Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lebanon, & Perry are possibly as well, Just don't hear them from the Truce site.. Anyone monitoring from Andersontown, Biglerville, Cornwall, Harrisburg, S Mtn sites may be seeing that activity.. Anyone?? :unsure: Hibernia would be a good candidate to be monitoring in order to hear when Chesco units get new radios.. Radio testing is going on today on 10088, 10089 RID's 31 & 4110011 observed..