PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
Heard Air Reg A Air Region A (Districts 4/6/8/14) as new TG 12674 heard today 4/6/20 talking about a fire in Sandy Lake and stated Warren Forestry clear. They were talking to an air unit, heard them on the Seneca site. Also submitted as well.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
Heard Air Reg A Air Region A (Districts 4/6/8/14) as new TG 12674 heard today 4/6/20 talking about a fire in Sandy Lake and stated Warren Forestry clear. They were talking to an air unit, heard them on the Seneca site. Also submitted as well.

Disregard!!!! Was relistening to the recordings, they WERE forestry but not the air units. The Air units were on 700, and talking to the same dispatcher. She was also talking to one of the PAPA units on the VHF system. while it is forestry its not linked to the air system that I heard.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Could this be heard in Erie County?
Erie County is in District 14, so I would imagine there's a good chance if a DCNR radio is active on the system in the area. You're just going to have to scan your local STARNet sites and determine for yourself if the talkgroup is active. I believe you have at least three sites covering all three bands within a few miles of Millcreek area, so you ought to be able to receive at least one of them reliably well.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Erie County is in District 14, so I would imagine there's a good chance if a DCNR radio is active on the system in the area. You're just going to have to scan your local STARNet sites and determine for yourself if the talkgroup is active. I believe you have at least three sites covering all three bands within a few miles of Millcreek area, so you ought to be able to receive at least one of them reliably well.
OK I'm using ID Search on the system, so I'll watch for it. Nothing yet from rangers at Presque Isle State Park either.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
OK I'm using ID Search on the system, so I'll watch for it. Nothing yet from rangers at Presque Isle State Park either.
For someone who has shown as much interest in the STARNet and Erie County trunked systems as you have, you really ought to have some dongles for decoding your local sites with Unitrunker or DSD+ or whatever your software of choice. Listening to the systems with scanners in ID Search mode is all fine and well, but if you truly want to get the big picture of what exactly is going on around you, you need to have software logging the control channels 24/7 so you can see things like the radio affiliations on various talkgroups at various sites. The FlightAware Pro Stick RTL dongles sell for just $18.75 on Amazon, and the software is either free (Unitrunker) or very cheap (DSD+ Fast Lane).

Frankly, some of the questions you ask everyone else about what is going on in your little corner of the commonwealth could be self-answered if you got serious about this stuff and bought a few dongles to log site activity.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
For someone who has shown as much interest in the STARNet and Erie County trunked systems as you have, you really ought to have some dongles for decoding your local sites with Unitrunker or DSD+ or whatever your software of choice. Listening to the systems with scanners in ID Search mode is all fine and well, but if you truly want to get the big picture of what exactly is going on around you, you need to have software logging the control channels 24/7 so you can see things like the radio affiliations on various talkgroups at various sites. The FlightAware Pro Stick RTL dongles sell for just $18.75 on Amazon, and the software is either free (Unitrunker) or very cheap (DSD+ Fast Lane).

Frankly, some of the questions you ask everyone else about what is going on in your little corner of the commonwealth could be self-answered if you got serious about this stuff and bought a few dongles to log site activity.
I will look into that. I know someone else in the area whose using dongles also. Maybe it's not as complicated as it seemed to begin with.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
FYI,
As of today...
Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic the PGC SE Office (Reading) is closed, SE units are now going through PGC NE (Dallas) for dispatches until further notice. The PGC NE Dispatch TG should be getting a considerable uptick in traffic especially in the SE areas. You'll also hear NE dispatch references on the SE dispatch, That'll be why.. ;)

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
FYI,
As of today...
Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic the PGC SE Office (Reading) is closed, SE units are now going through PGC NE (Dallas) for dispatches until further notice. The PGC NE Dispatch TG should be getting a considerable uptick in traffic especially in the SE areas. You'll also hear NE dispatch references on the SE dispatch, That'll be why.. ;)

Thanks for saving me the trouble of going back and reviewing recordings. I was on a work conference call when I heard a lot of chatter about NE dispatch. I hadn't gone back to figure out what was up.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
It's possible that an employee at that facility came down with the virus and they closed it for decontamination, Or it's just an adjustment to some new protocols being enacted.. Since the SE area is becoming a new hot spot for this bug..

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
If anyone is in the State College/Lewistown areas, I think the database needs some clarification on MIFF35 and MIFF40. Only one of the sites is listed. Both are supposedly live. We need someone to ground truth. It is possible that one of them is using NTIA, Part 22, Maritime, etc.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
If anyone is in the State College/Lewistown areas, I think the database needs some clarification on MIFF35 and MIFF40. Only one of the sites is listed. Both are supposedly live. We need someone to ground truth. It is possible that one of them is using NTIA, Part 22, Maritime, etc.

I think that site 1.44 is actually named MIFF40 by the state and is not CENT08, despite being in Centre County at the Little Flat Fire Tower.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I think that site 1.44 is actually named MIFF40 by the state and is not CENT08, despite being in Centre County at the Little Flat Fire Tower.

I remember you and I discussing this in email back on July 18, 2018. A map had showed 44 as being at a location that looks like Boalsburg and not MIFF40 ( off Barrville Rd 3 mi N of Belleville - WQWD726 (PENNSYLVANIA, COMMONWEALTH OF) FCC Callsign Details ).

I suspect that is why it ended up being called Cent08. But if somebody has something more definitive now that shows MIFF40 online and nothing online at CENT08, then I imagine you are right. but if it is MIFF40, it probably is at the location listed on WQWD726.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber

I'll be doing a radio-nerd road trip around PA with Pro96Com and Unitrunker when I get home to the states from work in a week or so. I'll add those two sites to my list. If you gents come up with any others you need a closer examination on let me know.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
@SlipNutz15 Can you break out your dongle in reference to post #2,657?

The more I think about it, the more I think that one of the existing database sites (1.44) is just not correct by either name or location. But, I'm not able to get up there to confirm. Frankly, I think the state is using MIFF40 as a designator for the Little Flat tower site which is actually in Centre County.