PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

talviar

But what will they switch to if the 700 sites aren't built out yet for the turnpike? And if the answer is the new VHF/800 P25 sites, then why do they need the 700 network for the Turnpike? It turns into a catch-22 real fast. And with all the money problems it seems like the last thing they need to do is build a 3rd radio network on top of the current analog VHF and P25 VHF/800 networks.

Continuing with GTR8000's thoughts....
While the State towers cover the turnpike (more or less), the Police officers are not the only radio users on the Turnpike radio system.... is a Trunking system a little overkill for the turnpike? maybe. but some of the maintenance traffic for the crews etc can be segmented out a lot easier with trunking. And with appropriate configs and setup.... comms for the users become a lot more transparent for the end user. Scanning conventional and trunking can be done, but sucks and doesn't work as well as staying one format or the other.

As always just my random thoughts at 7:21 in the morning.... YMMV! have a great day!

wbrennen26

Premium Subscriber
I am over in Luzerne County and it very seldom happens but I have picked up Game Commission over the system. I think they were in Pike or wayne county last time I heard it.

rjm022222

Premium Subscriber
But what will they switch to if the 700 sites aren't built out yet for the turnpike? And if the answer is the new VHF/800 P25 sites, then why do they need the 700 network for the Turnpike? It turns into a catch-22 real fast. And with all the money problems it seems like the last thing they need to do is build a 3rd radio network on top of the current analog VHF and P25 VHF/800 networks.

From what I understand Turnpike Maintenance is staying on the current system and only Troop T is switching. Troop T is switching because the rest of the State Police are switching. Any coordination needed between Maintenance and PSP will go through Highspire. In other words, Turnpike Maintenance and PSP Troop T will not be able to communicate directly like they can today. There are no immediate plans for the turnpike to switch to a P25 system.

ra7850

I am over in Luzerne County and it very seldom happens but I have picked up Game Commission over the system. I think they were in Pike or wayne county last time I heard it.
I'm also in Luzerne County and routinely hear the PGC using a Uniden SDS 200. I'm also less then 5 miles from their county office on Memorial Highway.

One13Truck

Feed Provider

I hear a steady amount of talking but usually when I’m working. I have it set to ID search so by the time I get a chance to look they’re done talking and I’m not sure who it is. But there’s a decent amount of transmissions.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
So, it looks like the 700 MHZ site out of Westmoreland county, 773.06875, is off the air right now. 770.95625 is now on the air, with a new NAC code of 94AH. Wonder if it switched over to PA STARNET?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
So, it looks like the 700 MHZ site out of Westmoreland county, 773.06875, is off the air right now. 770.95625 is now on the air, with a new NAC code of 94AH. Wonder if it switched over to PA STARNET?

I just saw the site is showing these other air-ground sites as P25 neighbors:

1-142BLAI02
1-143PERR01
1-145VENA08

Seems like the swap out from the old Harris phase 1 to the Motorola Phase 2 has started. I guess I'll have to take a ride to check the Philly 700 site. That had previously not shown any neighbors. The Berks site is on the air today.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
For reference, the "h" is not part of the NAC; it's simply Uniden's way of denoting a hexadecimal value. The NAC is 94A.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
My 325P2 is showing SID:0942h-01, so is that site 1? I don't wanna sound dumb

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Actually I can answer that regardless, and the answer is "no". The Uniden DMA scanners do not display P25 site numbers above 100 correctly. The format for Uniden DMA scanner display of P25 sites is xxyy where xx = RFSS and yy = Site ID.

All of the STARNet system is in RFSS 1, and so the first two digits are always going to be 01 for RFSS 1

Site 15 would display as 0115
Site 99 would display as 0199

Unfortunately once you get to Site 100 or above, the scanner can only display the RFSS of 01, not the Site ID

So sites 100, 110, 115, 140, etc. will all display as simply SID:0942h-01, making the DMA scanners somewhat useless on their own with regard to identifying sites.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I'm down in Canonsburg and it seems like WASH611 might be simulcasting with WASH39. I'm getting an on/off strong signal from the control channel.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm down in Canonsburg and it seems like WASH611 might be simulcasting with WASH39. I'm getting an on/off strong signal from the control channel.
Thanks for checking that out, I was just wondering about that last night. Both sites are licensed for the same three frequencies, and the commonwealth filed a buildout notification for WASH39 a few months ago. So far they have not filed anything indicating that WASH611 was complete, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not online.

I assume that the control channel you're receiving is 858.8625 for Site 131? Or perhaps you're not able to see the site number if you're checking with the 325P2 as previously mentioned.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for checking that out, I was just wondering about that last night. Both sites are licensed for the same three frequencies, and the commonwealth filed a buildout notification for WASH39 a few months ago. So far they have not filed anything indicating that WASH611 was complete, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not online.

I assume that the control channel you're receiving is 858.8625 for Site 131? Or perhaps you're not able to see the site number if you're checking with the 325P2 as previously mentioned.
Correct, 858.8625, and yes, this is on my BCD325P2 I mentioned earlier. I'll submit the information when I get back on my computer.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's a bummer that the DMA scanners are unable to display the full Site ID. I believe Pro96Com is compatible with that scanner, however that doesn't do anyone much good if they don't have a PC/laptop handy in the field. 🤦‍♂️