PA troopers shot last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Didn't see anything here yet but another senseless act on public safety officers outside a barracks at a shift change. Two troopers ambushed one fatally shot other seriously injured. Manhunt for suspect. It is things like this that I am for departments getting surplus equipment and having the tools they need. With more dangers in our society these guys need the tools many questioned that Ferguson police had.

Authorities ID Pennsylvania state trooper killed in ambush; say suspect is at large | Fox News

Dei2Racing

Happened 10miles from me. Those tools wont work on the roads up here most are dirt. They have weight iues do to mud. Knee deep snow.

They were hit along range from the woods. They still don't have any suspect information.

SCPD

QRT
Hopefully the surveillance at the barracks picked up something to help in the investigation or a witness seen some one leaving area.

SCPD

QRT
I'm not sure how the area is there but always thought near sub stations it would be good to have lighting emit outward into areas also so personnel can see if someone e's by the stations. I think camera technologies such as flir would be good for police stations so if someone's inside they can see if someone's crouched or hiding in the dark out laying areas near secure facilities.

Dei2Racing

Shots was over 300 yards a way with a .308 from the woods at night. They think the shooter is military trained or hunts and shoots regulary. So they are trying to catch a sniper now. Its rural up here all woods.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
After some of the news stories reported NJ State Troopers responded I listened to the archives of NJSP Troop B for the hour after the shooting. One of the first related transmissions I heard was I think 2 Comm stating "The troop radios will not work out there so you can call here and I can reach them by cellphone or something." Later one of the responding troopers asked the appropriate question "Is there anyplace I SHOULDNT be going?", obviously wanting to stay out of the line of fire. The response from NJSP Comm was basically "No idea, I gave you the only info I have". There was one comment about Warren County setting up some kind of patch, but overall those early transmissions suggest that the two major state police organizations have no simply way of communicating with each other during the early hours of a major event.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"There was one comment about Warren County setting up some kind of patch, but overall those early transmissions suggest that the two major state police organizations have no simply way of communicating with each other during the early hours of a major event. "

Typical, everybody wants to be their own radio island until the S##T hits the fan. If the National Interop freqs possibly with repeaters for such an incident were programmed in both or all agency radios concerned it would at least alleviate some of the problems in those first few moments of trying to get a handle on whats going on. ( I am guessing here but I believe that both agencies have 800 radios, and also may have VHF) I also see a big Federal Grant coming an interop channels fix. Always a fix AFTER the incident, and then agencies want to go encrypted with no real Interop. Sometime I think agencies are brain dead and tunnel visioned with keeping the public out of the loop.
This is just like what happened after the Brinks robbery in Rockland County N.Y. nearly 40 years ago. I guess no one learned any lessons then or forgot.

BTW I feel very bad for those Troopers and their families.

Dei2Racing

After some of the news stories reported NJ State Troopers responded I listened to the archives of NJSP Troop B for the hour after the shooting. One of the first related transmissions I heard was I think 2 Comm stating "The troop radios will not work out there so you can call here and I can reach them by cellphone or something." Later one of the responding troopers asked the appropriate question "Is there anyplace I SHOULDNT be going?", obviously wanting to stay out of the line of fire. The response from NJSP Comm was basically "No idea, I gave you the only info I have". There was one comment about Warren County setting up some kind of patch, but overall those early transmissions suggest that the two major state police organizations have no simply way of communicating with each other during the early hours of a major event.
Interesting. Because I don't have a cell phone. We dont have coverage in most of the county.

The PSP still has all the old VHF channels. They change to that when the 800 system goes down. Also the 800 system is known not to have full coverage. Due to terrain issues. They also can jump on regional police frequencies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Quote"There was one comment about Warren County setting up some kind of patch, but overall those early transmissions suggest that the two major state police organizations have no simply way of communicating with each other during the early hours of a major event. "

Typical, everybody wants to be their own radio island until the S##T hits the fan. If the National Interop freqs possibly with repeaters for such an incident were programmed in both or all agency radios concerned it would at least alleviate some of the problems in those first few moments of trying to get a handle on whats going on. ( I am guessing here but I believe that both agencies have 800 radios, and also may have VHF) I also see a big Federal Grant coming an interop channels fix. Always a fix AFTER the incident, and then agencies want to go encrypted with no real Interop. Sometime I think agencies are brain dead and tunnel visioned with keeping the public out of the loop.
This is just like what happened after the Brinks robbery in Rockland County N.Y. nearly 40 years ago. I guess no one learned any lessons then or forgot.

BTW I feel very bad for those Troopers and their families.

There are no 800MHz interop repeaters in northeast PA. So, unless they utilize the talkaround on the interop frequencies, they've got nothing.

I posted a map of the 8TAC repeaters in this old thread about the UTacs:
http://forums.radioreference.com/pe...288602-state-u-tac-repeaters.html#post2171199

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. Because I don't have a cell phone. We dont have coverage in most of the county.

The PSP still has all the old VHF channels. They change to that when the 800 system goes down. Also the 800 system is known not to have full coverage. Due to terrain issues. They also can jump on regional police frequencies.

That's strange, because I live 5 miles from the barracks and I have no problem anywhere in the county with cell coverage and I have Verizon. Also the VHF channels were not used due to security issues. The FBI channels were very active as well as the DCNR and Game Commission channels the last few days as all of the state parks in the region are being checked. I was at the scene as I am an Emergency Management Coordinator for Blooming Grove Twp. and I will say this,when the NJSP and NYSP got to the scene they were paired up with PA. state troopers and they used a secure radio net for police issues. That's all I can say without compromising the safety of anyone involved in the search for the gunman.

Mike
Blooming Grove Twp. EMA Coordinator

Dei2Racing

That's strange, because I live 5 miles from the barracks and I have no problem anywhere in the county with cell coverage and I have Verizon. Also the VHF channels were not used due to security issues. The FBI channels were very active as well as the DCNR and Game Commission channels the last few days as all of the state parks in the region are being checked. I was at the scene as I am an Emergency Management Coordinator for Blooming Grove Twp. and I will say this,when the NJSP and NYSP got to the scene they were paired up with PA. state troopers and they used a secure radio net for police issues. That's all I can say without compromising the safety of anyone involved in the search for the gunman.

Mike
Blooming Grove Twp. EMA Coordinator
You don't get out much go on 390 go to the state park for example. You will get O cellphone overage. I have family visit that have numerous carrires. They cant even call from the rest stops. Stop on 507 at any place you will get 0 coverage. It drives my out of town relatives nuts. I have all the game channels the low ones they were quiet compared to normal.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
You don't get out much go on 390 go to the state park for example. You will get O cellphone overage. I have family visit that have numerous carrires. They cant even call from the rest stops. Stop on 507 at any place you will get 0 coverage. It drives my out of town relatives nuts. I have all the game channels the low ones they were quiet compared to normal.

I get out all the time. I am on the road all over NEPA for work and have only experienced loss of cell coverage in Sterling. I get great coverage at all of the rest stops and all along 507.

Mike
Blooming Grove TWP. EMA Coordinator

mike4164

Premium Subscriber

All this is are reviews from users. That does not mean anything!!!! It all depends on the device you have. I have a 6 year old LG envy touch and I get almost all my bars in 90% of NEPA. Like I said, the only place I don't get service is Sterling in Wayne County. It also depends on the terrain of where you are located at the time. If you are using an IPhone they don't work for crap. Cellphones are just like radios, it depends on your location.

Mike
Blooming Grove TWP. EMA Coordinator

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
Hence most of the county has nothing.

Hence nothing. This is just your opinion of the service you and a few other people have with your cellphone's. This does not prove anything except maybe you don't have the settings on your phone right or you have a crappy phone or crappy carrier. I have no problems with my cell service in multiple counties in PA.with the exception of Sterling in Wayne County PA. as I travel all over NEPA for work on a regular basis.The majority of cellphone users that I talk to daily also have no problem.

Mike

mule1075

Feed Provider
You two moaning and whining about cell service when one officer is dead and another injured is pitiful.Grow up

Sent from my PMID800 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.