Pa Turnpike Commission Frequency Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewhoo430

I work for a tow company that provides roadside for MM’s 0-25 on the TP mainline. I’m trying to get the appropriate frequencies programmed into my scanner as it’s helpful to know what’s coming ahead of time when I’m dispatching trucks. I’ve already programmed (or at least I’ve tried) the necessary frequencies, but I’m not hearing any traffic at all, so I’m not sure I’ve done it right. Can anyone help?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
156.195 PL 85.4 is district 1. Covers all way to mm 100 plus toll 376 /66/43.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I work for a tow company that provides roadside for MM’s 0-25 on the TP mainline. I’m trying to get the appropriate frequencies programmed into my scanner as it’s helpful to know what’s coming ahead of time when I’m dispatching trucks. I’ve already programmed (or at least I’ve tried) the necessary frequencies, but I’m not hearing any traffic at all, so I’m not sure I’ve done it right. Can anyone help?
Why aren't you getting a radio to talk to Highspire? I know locally Towtegrity has radios. Or is it optional?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Yeah, that’s exactly what I have programmed, but I’m not hearing any traffic. Must just be a bad reception area.

Out here on the east end, at least, reception can be very narrow in some areas. Reception can be sketchy on US 202 in King of Prussia just a couple miles from the interchange at Valley Forge on a handheld (much better with an external antenna). So, that could be an issue you are seeing depending on your location. Is this at your shop or mobile in a truck that you are having issues?

ewhoo430

Out here on the east end, at least, reception can be very narrow in some areas. Reception can be sketchy on US 202 in King of Prussia just a couple miles from the interchange at Valley Forge on a handheld (much better with an external antenna). So, that could be an issue you are seeing depending on your location. Is this at your shop or mobile in a truck that you are having issues?
At my home in Pittsburgh.

cat1226

You need to remove the 85.4 PL. The PL is used to open the repeater on the input side ( 159.045Mhz) when a transmission is started. Your receiver is looking for the PL but no PL is sent on the output side (156.195Mhz)of the repeater.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
You need to remove the 85.4 PL. The PL is used to open the repeater on the input side ( 159.045Mhz) when a transmission is started. Your receiver is looking for the PL but no PL is sent on the output side (156.195Mhz)of the repeater.
No, years ago they did that but when the PL tones were changed they added it on the output also.

cat1226

Just thought removing the PL might be an option for the OP to try. Here in Lawrence County I can receive the Turn Pike with no PL on the receive side with no problems. The only problem is when PSP radios go into the the digital mode when transmitting in analog mode and the poor person sounds like they have their head in a bucket of water.
Is the PL on the receive side 85.4? If it is I'm going to try it because I get interference from Venango County Fire dispatch because one of their frequencies is close to the Turn Pike frequencies and I have to turn up the squelch way up on my receiver so it doesn't activate the Turn Pike channel when they transmit.

Last edited:

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
PL is same on tx and rx. PSP radios don't go into digital mode. they are still using opensky and patch in as needed.

royldean

For Rx only, you don't need to enter the tone for squelch open. Adding it will only prevent you from hearing anything else on the frequency that is NOT putting out the tone.

[edit] This is reference to a receiver that has a "tone squelch" capability.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
PL is same on tx and rx. PSP radios don't go into digital mode. they are still using opensky and patch in as needed.

The turnpike dispatchers often advise troopers that "they have gone digital". That is the OpenSky radio crapping out with hashing audio. Technically, they've been digital the whole time just by using an OpenSky radio, but that is how the dispatchers refer to it when the troopers become unreadable.

Status
Not open for further replies.