PA Turnpike District 4??

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I cannot receive 159.075 PA turnpike District 4 frequency at all from my location in Berlin. Usually even if it doesn't come in well I still get some of it, enough to get a good idea of whats going on the turnpike. I'm very disappointed!

w2xq

Mentor
Look through the threads in the Pennsylvania forum. I haven't paid close attention to the details but those VHF frequencies are no longer used. PASP have a radio system that cannot be monitored by most (if not) over the counter scanners. I miss the capability too. I used to make frequent driving trips trips to West Lafayette, Indianapolis and Chicago.

kirkwoodcr

Premium Subscriber
The turnpike as a whole still uses their VHF system for operations and general PSP-T activity and have no intentions of moving to OpenSky due to their contracts and investments in their microwave intrastructure. Also, it would require all their maintenance sheds, tow/haul service, and all local Fire/EMS to purchase opensky radios which would be a costly investment. The PSP-T do have interop with all other PSP on Opensky, though.
I was just out there Monday/Tuesday and was hearing zone 4 on I276/I476. I travel the pike quite frequently.
Based on your location, I'm surprised you can pick them up. It's also possible the repeater you were hearing went down.

w2xq

Mentor
I dumped 159.045 and 159.075 into the analogue scanner -2041, and let it scan only these two frequencies for the last four hours across the entire evening rush hour. I'm closer than 'policefreak' to the PA-NJ TP bridge, about 15 miles. Not a peep, carrier squelch burst, nadda. As I write this, I'm listening to 159.075 with the squelch totally open, again, nothing. Inquiring minds...

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
With my PSR 800 a little more sensitive I have heard them within the past week on 159.075. Its just weak and scratchy as usual. And I heard them the Saturday after thanksgiving. I'll check them today to see what I hear. Yea last time I heard they had no plans of migrating to the PaSTARNET system.

kirkwoodcr

Premium Subscriber
With my PSR 800 a little more sensitive I have heard them within the past week on 159.075. Its just weak and scratchy as usual. And I heard them the Saturday after thanksgiving. I'll check them today to see what I hear. Yea last time I heard they had no plans of migrating to the PaSTARNET system.

Correct. It would cost too much to convert every maintenance shed, all services and all emergency responders . It would also force small fire departments , especially the small ones to spend money on a new radio where the current ones easily can hit the pike's microwave towers.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I've always received 159.075 quite well here. Not hearing much much on 159.045 but I'll keep an ear on it.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Yes I also hear 159.075 still, very scratchy but audible. It reaches far. I've heard it from New Castle Delaware all the way to Bordentown, NJ. It comes from chester county somewhere near the Downingtown interchange. But it covers from Morgantown to the DR bridge and through some tough terrain in Chester County.

w2xq

Mentor
After further listening, the signals are weak but I hear the repeater output 159.075 comms with car numbers using a prefix of KP. That being King of Prussa, if the transmitter is sited with the dispatch, distance and terrain explains a lot about the signal strength for me. One morning at 6:20a I heard a long series of DTMF tones; perhaps the PATP patches into another system? I wouldn't be surprised if the number of patrol cars on the road are significantly reduced compared with years past, given the state budget problems. All I heard were calls for disabled vehicles, nary a stop for moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.