PA Turnpike P25 Phase II System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Speaking of the Turnpike I still wonder what their plan is.
700 MHz P25 Phase II system. Approximately 25 sites covering the entire system. Won't be online until the end of 2021 at the earliest.

Attachments

• PTC_700.jpg
    PTC_700.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 158

EMT1301

Premium Subscriber
And encrypted, correct?
I'd say that's unlikely given that fire and EMS operate on their system, and I don't imagine many of those agencies will want to pay for radio upgrades to support encryption on a system for which they're not primary users. But just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

radio3353

I'd say that's unlikely given that fire and EMS operate on their system, and I don't imagine many of those agencies will want to pay for radio upgrades to support encryption on a system for which they're not primary users. But just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OK. Interesting thought. I hope you are correct. My thinking was based on all of the talk I see here of PSP going fully encrypted. Even if the patrol cars are encrypted, Highspire may be able to talk to fire and EMS on an unencrypted channel.

talviar

That could be possible, depends if they keep everything on a unified dispatch as they do now. Besides local fire and EMS the local tow truck companies have radios too.

If they are building a completely separate isolated system just for the turnpike, that sounds wasteful and counterproductive. If they built a series of 700 sites that optimize coverage for the turnpike and connect to STARNet that would make more sense. More coverage for the state system users and easier interop.

Most likely--- looking at how the pike operates now.... There are 5 districts of RF coverage I think?? 5 coverage simulcast sites on 700. Radio keying up in District 1 near Donegal Interchange could be heard anywhere in the District 1 area. Trying to get a set of identical freqs that could be licensed for that many RF sites in the 100 mile coverage of District 1 would be difficult on VHF, UHF, or 800. Using the State channels on 700, it would be very easy to set up a simulcast coverage site for district 1.

These would be tied to the Trunking core and work in the system. Roaming and site permissions is all something set in the trunking controller.

trust me when I say this is way more complicated than many realize......... Right emt1301?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
5 coverage simulcast sites on 700.
26 individual sites with unique frequencies per site; no simulcast cells.

14 sites will have 6 frequencies
5 sites will have 5 frequencies
5 sites will have 4 frequencies
2 sites will have 3 frequencies

Using the State channels on 700, it would be very easy to set up a simulcast coverage site for district 1.
They're applying for 75 channels from the General Use pool (SY license). The State's allocation (SL license) are already being used for the Air-Ground system, and the DVRS with the ASTRO 25 system.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Good timing, five of the Turnpike applications are pending (three other applications are awaiting adjacent region approval) : https://bit.ly/2Ro7LQK

Probably should get back on topic to the P25 STARNet system, and save the Turnpike system talk for a new thread. ;)

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Will this be a new system? Separate from the currently being built out PSP Statewide P25?

I love those maps!! :) I'm certain you have a name (Tower ID) for those 26 pins.
Based on stare and compare.. I get something like this (starting west to east, then north)
Code:
Turnpike P25 Sites
BEAV01
ALLE67
ALLE59
ALLE25
WASH25
ALLE21
WEST03
WEST04
SOME01
SOME03
BEDF03
FULT01
FULT40
FRAN01
PERR02
YORK01
LANC01
CHES01
CHES02
MONY02
BUCK90

LEHI01
LEHI06
CARB01
LUZE01
LACK03
Am I close? :unsure:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The PTC appears to have decided to build out their own system separate from the STARNet P25 system. There was specific mention of not partnering with PSP/STARNet in the documentation, however I can't imagine them not being interconnected via ISSI once all is said and done.

The PTC has not assigned any of those "STARNet" site names to this system, so I'm not sure how they match up exactly.

PA Turnpike 700 - Google My Maps

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
The PTC appears to have decided to build out their own system separate from the STARNet P25 system. There was specific mention of not partnering with PSP/STARNet in the documentation, however I can't imagine them not being interconnected via ISSI once all is said and done.

The PTC has not assigned any of those "STARNet" site names to this system, so I'm not sure how they match up exactly.

PA Turnpike 700 - Google My Maps
Thanks! (y) A lot to soak up, Off the top of my head; Mama this all seems a bit crazy:confused:
I guess the Turnpike has money after all.... :LOL:

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
This may save somebody some trouble. An HPE file. All the sites except 2 match a PSP Tower location. :geek:

Attachments

• Pennsylvania Turnpike P25 Radio Network.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 67

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
I would imagine that the turnpike will use the current infrastructure they currently have for the new system and just upgrade the radios for all the locations since it meets all their needs.

phillydjdan

I hope they aren't trusting 700MHz to give them the same coverage from the same towers as the VHF frequencies do LOL

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I hope they aren't trusting 700MHz to give them the same coverage from the same towers as the VHF frequencies do LOL
From what I remember of the map GTR8000 posted before it went 404, they had plenty of towers and good spacing to cover the whole mainline on 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.