PA Turnpike P25 Phase II System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
My hunch is they will do the following:

Turnpike builds there own P25 system that the maintenance crews and PSP units will mainly utilize, and keep the current VHF system up for Fire/EMS with it permanently patched into the P25 system for interoperability.

I personally just can't see companies in say Lancaster county spending lots of money on radios that are capable of being used on the 700MHZ system without them being issued to the companies, which I very highly doubt will happen.

This system will be nice in the long run because it will allow everybody there own separate talkgroups on the system "Maintenance can have there own to talk while plowing snow, PSP can have there own to talk amongst themselves, and so on"

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
My hunch is they will do the following:

Turnpike builds there own P25 system that the maintenance crews and PSP units will mainly utilize, and keep the current VHF system up for Fire/EMS with it permanently patched into the P25 system for interoperability.

I personally just can't see companies in say Lancaster county spending lots of money on radios that are capable of being used on the 700MHZ system without them being issued to the companies, which I very highly doubt will happen.

This system will be nice in the long run because it will allow everybody there own separate talkgroups on the system "Maintenance can have there own to talk while plowing snow, PSP can have there own to talk amongst themselves, and so on"
If they do that, I hope for the taxpayer's sake they use the same system core and just add these sites on a new RFSS. And if they do keep the current VHF system I hope that they continue to keep a unified dispatch so everyone is on the same page as they are now. PSP/Maintenance/Exits on 700 and Fire/EMS/Towing on VHF all on the same talkgroup. Kinda like how PSP is patched to VHF from Opensky now.

Vinnie1224

This may not really have anything to do with these post but just was curious of a question: I’m new to rr and I’ve just received an sds100 an I’m from Montgomery co pa and I listen to Pennsylvania turnpike commission . Now it’s in the 155 MHz an district 5 Dispatch I’m pretty sure is pocono i heat that pretty clear does anyone know which towers I’m getting that from ?? Or is my antenna I guess good enough to get that ? I have a comet gp6 nc . Another quick question does anymore listen to district 3 dispatch on penn Turnpike and know where that country is ?? I’m lost like I said I’m new lol . Thanks

BM82557

This may not really have anything to do with these post but just was curious of a question: I’m new to rr and I’ve just received an sds100 an I’m from Montgomery co pa and I listen to Pennsylvania turnpike commission . Now it’s in the 155 MHz an district 5 Dispatch I’m pretty sure is pocono i heat that pretty clear does anyone know which towers I’m getting that from ?? Or is my antenna I guess good enough to get that ? I have a comet gp6 nc . Another quick question does anymore listen to district 3 dispatch on penn Turnpike and know where that country is ?? I’m lost like I said I’m new lol . Thanks

I've used this info from the Wiki when traveling in PA -

Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PA) - The RadioReference Wiki

JimBobTerp

sibbley

Premium Subscriber

Vinnie1224

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I thought so ... doesn’t really come in that much I use wide invert an comes in here & there . Thanks again sibbley .

From Norristown, if you are just using a handheld, you are going to have a difficult time receiving many sites depending on your location. The two Devault sites, the Graterford site, and the two Willow Grove sites can be received in certain locations around there, but usually with a weak signal. Sometimes, the Belmont VHF, too. Indoors, reception will be more difficult with a handheld. If you have an external antenna, you should definitely receive all those sites, plus more. Otherwise, with just a handheld, it is going to very much depend on your location.

Vinnie1224

From Norristown, if you are just using a handheld, you are going to have a difficult time receiving many sites depending on your location. The two Devault sites, the Graterford site, and the two Willow Grove sites can be received in certain locations around there, but usually with a weak signal. Sometimes, the Belmont VHF, too. Indoors, reception will be more difficult with a handheld. If you have an external antenna, you should definitely receive all those sites, plus more. Otherwise, with just a handheld, it is going to very much depend on your location.
Hello I have a sds100 ... My location is eagleville but is on the borderline of norr . There is a 911 tower in eagleville up the road from me . I think I’m getting good signal from but idk if that’s the right tower you said greaterford site has one ? I have a commercial comet gp6 nc & a yagi Wilson 700-800 MHz & a comet duplexer 100mhz - 800mhz . My antenna s are up about 40 feet in the air . I’ll send a pic . Does the sds200 get more distance than the sds100 ? I’m new to scanning so don’t really know much . Take care an thank you for responding to my last post .

Status
Not open for further replies.