• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Packet on CB Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

41a0203c

I recently watched a video on YouTube in which an operator had a TNC hooked up to a CB radio. The set up looked good and it seemed to be handling data quite well. Does anyone else have experience with this? I like the idea, but I also would like to stay in compliance with the law too.

nd5y

In the US using any digital mode on CB (one that isn't a selective calling feature) is illegal.
A few freebanders have been doing 300 and 1200 baud packet for about 30 years or so.

LtDoc

Packet, or any of the other 'digital' modes can be done on almost any frequency. Will you hear any on CB radio? If you do it will be very rare, to say the least. No, it isn't legal on CB radio, or a lot of others either. So why would someone have a TNC hooked up to a CB radio? 'Wooo Batman!', I have no idea. To see if they could do it?
- 'Doc

sloop

no data on CB

sorry LtDoc...digital modes are not allowed on CB or GMRS. 47 CFR part 95.631.e "no GMRS or CB transmitter shall employ a digital modulation or emission." All frequencies are controlled as to what typoes of emissions that are permitted. My suggestion is that if anyone is interested in digital...get your HAM license. They are really easy to get...even 6 year old kids can pass the test.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
????????? I thought TNC packet is FSK which is actually 2 different tones being transmitted depending on the 1 or 0. I don't believe tones are illegal on CB, it may be a stretch but think about it. Further more, you are injecting audio into the mic jack, not playing with the VCO or crystal. As long as it stays within the audio filter bandwidth, I don't see a problem. What about all those noise makers you hear on CB (whistle, etc) they are tones also.

Last edited:

nd5y

Ham radio TNCs normally put out audio tones that you either feed into a radio's mic jack or audio input pin on a rear connector. If the radio is in AM or FM you get ASFK. If the radio is in USB or LSB you get FSK. Some TNCs also put out mark/space signals for use with radios that have a RTTY or direct FSK mode.

It was back in the mid to late 1980s when I heard the packet on freeband. That was back before most people had computers and all packet and RTTY was hardware TNC based. Since the late 1990s or so most hams now use software that uses the computer sound card to generate and decode various digital modes. I haven't listened to the 26-28 MHz range for years. It would not surprise me if there are CBers or freebanders running PSK31, RTTY and other digital modes now.

KF4ZTO

Some countries allow for packet or other digital modes on CB radio. Germany is one of them, specifically 26.565, 26.675, 26.685, 26.915, 26.925, 27.025, 27.035, 27.235, 27.245, and 27.405 MHz.

I've heard pirate packet on 27.500 and 27.550 MHz, apparently there are freebanders who operate on those frequencies for data (CW and SSTV as well) and on 27.700 MHz.

Packet is indeed illegal on CB frequencies in the U.S.A.

jhooten

????????? I thought TNC packet is FSK which is actually 2 different tones being transmitted depending on the 1 or 0. I don't believe tones are illegal on CB, it may be a stretch but think about it. Further more, you are injecting audio into the mic jack, not playing with the VCO or crystal. As long as it stays within the audio filter bandwidth, I don't see a problem. What about all those noise makers you hear on CB (whistle, etc) they are tones also.

Think again:

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 95--PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart E--Technical Regulations

Sec. 95.631 Emission types.

(c) A CB transmitter may transmit only emission types A1D, H1D, J1D,
R1D, A3E, H3E, J3E, R3E. A non-voice emission is limited to selective
calling or tone-operated squelch tones to establish or continue voice
communications.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
All I am saying is that the radio does meet the emission mask since the audio used is within the bandpass of the type acceptance of the radio. Now as far as the actual data?? It could be construed as selective calling, maybe a stretch, but who knows. A decision from the FCC may be in order.
Now considering how little the FCC has been going after CB'ers with the exception of ridiculous linear amps, and unless someone actually provide a complaint and location info, I doubt anything is likely to happen. It's more likely you would bagged for running too much power as opposed to TNC.

roadranger

An old idea..

... a freind of mine had wanted to use packet on MURS. For what, I don't know. You couldn't use radiofacsimile, though. (Sending images.)

Last edited:

eng101

cb packet

hi, all, going back a few years 4 or 5, cb freq 26.8400 lsb was alive with packet radio, now the main freq is 27.235/ 27. 245 fm
there are still quite alot of stns which use this freq, when the band is open.
nowaday you can use a sound card to decode 300/1200 baud packet, as well as tx
yes it is ilegal, but then so was the old aunty mary days back in the late 70's / 80's
and if your interested, you can decode color pictures on 27.700 USB, again when the band is open
again using nothing more than your pc and a sound card

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
KISS people, keep it simple. Legal or not "exotic" modes on CB are like the proverbial bull accessories, useless for communications effectiveness, novelties. Heh, another of my stark revelations since the Statute of Limitations ran out years ago, some friends and I used to FAX each other. Upon hearing the strange sounds Joe CBer went out looking for the Mother Ship. Maybe I should have told him she hung out on channel 18.

Hey guy I'll tell you what's legal on CB, anything you can get away with. (;->)

No, seriously the FCC didn't go away and their web site has all the violations on it, plenty of CBers running illegally crying the Blues.

LtDoc

Sloop,
Where did i say it was legal on CB? I said it could be -done- on any frequency, meaning it's possible. It certainly isn't legal on just any frequency.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.