Pager Decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
That depends on where you are, and what you're decoding.

In the USA, if it's a common carrier pager, it's illegal to decode anything but tone-only pagers.

As far as the law reads, it should be ok to decode a public safety agency's pagers IF they use their own frequencies rather than a common carrier to page. Not, of course, if they're encrypted, but no matter, if they are, you won't be able to, anyway. :roll:

Telling someone what you 'heard', whether from pagers or voice, is a seperate legal problem. Some will say it's ok now to 'reveal' police comms. The most recent court case posted here differed, and says it is NOT ok. The FCC currently seems to say it's ok to reveal. But they aren't the ones who'll prosecute. Your local US Attorney's reading of the law is what will, or will not, cause him to file charges.

Radiorick

Well said, SMR in 900Mhz would not be that common carrier you speak of...

Thanks for the reply.

ThomasMcKean

That depends on where you are, and what you're decoding.

In the USA, if it's a common carrier pager, it's illegal to decode anything but tone-only pagers.

As far as the law reads, it should be ok to decode a public safety agency's pagers IF they use their own frequencies rather than a common carrier to page. Not, of course, if they're encrypted, but no matter, if they are, you won't be able to, anyway. :roll:

Telling someone what you 'heard', whether from pagers or voice, is a seperate legal problem. Some will say it's ok now to 'reveal' police comms. The most recent court case posted here differed, and says it is NOT ok. The FCC currently seems to say it's ok to reveal. But they aren't the ones who'll prosecute. Your local US Attorney's reading of the law is what will, or will not, cause him to file charges.

Yeah I know this is an old and dead thread but it speaks exactly to what I am trying to determine.

The frequency I have here is 158.100 and there is a lot of EMS traffic on it. Also seems to be a security agency sending notifications of various sensors in homes going off, a lifeguard chopper and a heating and/or electric company.

I keep getting conflicting reports as to whether one is allowed to decode these as they are not scrambled or encrypted. I tried looking at the EPCA, but it was so full of unintelligible language that I had to give up there.

I am not talking about revealing info, I am talking about monitoring pagers.

Allowed or no? With documentation to back it up? I can't find answer anywhere! ARGH! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.