Pager/Frequency Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

This is a rather odd question but may someone can help me with the answer...
Ok, I am interested in purchasing a minitor III SV 2 channel pager, However My local FD has already said NO to allowing permission to program it to their channel, I have an alternate to that, someone who will do it anyways but they need the exact numbers, I think it's called selective call tones, In this format
A: 784.5 Hz.
B: 856.7 Hz.

OR if it's just a single long tone, it would be something like:

A: 1014.6 Hz

But I don't know them and have no way to get them, Is there a way to find them?
Something that will tell me what they are, etc.?

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
your best bet is to record the tones to a computer, and use a program ( i believe it's called a frequency counter) to figure out what they are....

DickH

... However My local FD has already said NO to allowing permission to program it to their channel, ...

And why would you need their permission? Do you need their permission to hear them on your scanner? As far as finding out what freqs. the tones are, your taxes paid for that system. It is not a secret. If they won't tell you, and you're really serious, file a request under the "Freedom of Information" Act, or whatever it's called.
Or just do what someone suggested. Record the tones and use the program.

Then, after you get the pager working, go down to the fire station and wave it in front of the Chief and say, "Nyaa, Nyaa, I've got it working". But after doing that, don't ever show up at a fire or go to the station again. LOL

Last edited:

btritch

And why would you need their permission? Do you need their permission to hear them on your scanner? As far as finding out what freqs. the tones are, your taxes paid for that system. It is not a secret.
I thought about that myself when they told me that...
If they won't tell you, and you're really serious, file a request under the "Freedom of Information" Act, or whatever it's called.
Or just do what someone suggested. Record the tones and use the program.
I thought of that to....I may just do that, Can't hurt anything...I dunno where you'd go to file that though, PD? May have to look into that Monday..

Then, after you get the pager working, go down to the fire station and wave it in front of the Chief and say, "Nyaa, Nyaa, I've got it working". But after doing that, don't ever show up at a fire or go to the station again. LOL
EXACTLY, BUT The Chief Knows Me, He's related to my grandma, He was her late husbands grandkid... So I dunno... ha ha ha, I'll figure something out though... Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it!

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
I thought about that myself when they told me that...

I thought of that to....I may just do that, Can't hurt anything...I dunno where you'd go to file that though, PD? May have to look into that Monday..

EXACTLY, BUT The Chief Knows Me, He's related to my grandma, He was her late husbands grandkid... So I dunno... ha ha ha, I'll figure something out though... Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it!

Ask your grandmother to ask the chief? lol, good luck...

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Wintone and a good sound card. http://www.personainternet.com/~northscan/files.html

There are some freq. counters that will show tones as well. Some even for P25, namely sold by Optoelectronics.. I am one of a very few who have the famed OS535 and Pro-2042. :D Two actually. Anyone wanting the cell phone code? hehe. Doesn't do much in this day and age..

HEY! I never THOUGHT OF THAT!!! Good IDEA!

LMAO! While she is there, have her try to sell them a ketchup Popsicle for a FLIR device. :lol:

Last edited:

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Why???

Why do you really need that pager? You have scanners that'll pick up everything ya need to hear.

No offense dude - you're quickly approaching Whacker territory.......

Are you not a volunteer fireman already? You have a firetruck for an avatar.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why do you really need that pager?

Do people NEED LCD TVs or scanners or SUVs? If he wants to have a pager, I say that is his business.

You have scanners that'll pick up everything ya need to hear.

Are you sure? I know that there were many of calls my pager picked up that my scanner was not RXing well enough to ID, so if someone wants a dedicated reiceiver for a frequency, then a pager should work fine.

Plus it is less geeky to carry a pager on a belt than a scanner :D

btritch

I used to be one...It's a long story behind that one...It was a merged dept. between two and they split, When they split one of them wanted new ppl, So after they got a bunch of us together after about three months when our call volume was more than the other dept. they got jealous and decided to mend their differences and merge back again, When they did that let all of us newbies go...Let's just say we had words, I wouldn't go back to them, to make a long story short, The others that are all volunteer are too far out for the area I live in and our city here is full time but fully staffed at this time but as soon as one of them gets an opening, I'm going to go apply for it...So it's not because I'm not trying, It's a matter of finding an opening..lol

KC0QNB

I carried a pager for years, got to the point I hated the damn thing, wanted to toss it but the boss said I couldn't, it was required equipment for the job. It took me years to recover from the stress it caused. Brian if you want to carry a pager be my guest.

Last edited:

KC0QNB

You kind of remind me of me 27 years ago, I had an old moto pageboy that had a reed decode, if you slapped it just right it would go off.
I had a moto motrac control head in my white ford galaxy, just the control head but the lights would change on it when I pushed the mic button.
In that old ford I had deck lights to the rear window, I had them set up mainly because the factory brake lights didn't work anymore and I had to have brake lights, later after a fair amount of money I got a new turn signal switch and the factory break lights were working again.
Since I already had the deck lights, I rigged them with a special flasher and switch setup that would flash them alternately, at the same time, or they would come on with the brake lights.
One night the Denver PD stopped me, and was asking about the deck lights, and what they did, I said they were additional brake lights, he wanted me to show him what they did, so I flipped the right switch combination, and put on the brakes, they turned on he was happy, glad I remembered the right switch combination, or he would have wrote me up for an "unauthorized vehicle accessory".
It seems if you aren't driving an emergency vehicle or a school bus you can't have alternately flashing lights of any kind.
Meanwhile I had acquired a 4 beam 12" federal beacon, with one bulb facing up at a 45 degree angle, white/amber combo on the roof, along with three radio antennas all quarter wave units, and two hustler antennas on the rear fenders.
Whacker mobile deluxe, I tell you what, I had it all, except a decent job, a decent place to live, and and a decent wife. Radios of all kinds, CBs, scanners hf, pagers (two)
What is my point? you are asking yourself, get your toys before you grow up, you won't be able to afterwards, get it out of your system now, then in a few years look back on the situation and chuckle while you are thinking, how silly that was. 20 some years ago:eek:

btritch

Well I have a light and a siren that I used to use when I was with the VFD, However, Neither of them are still on the truck, I took them off shortly after I've still got'em in case I need'em but they're not installed.. I've always been facinated by radio's, CB's Phones, Etc.. If it was the latest thing or a good Idea, I had to have it, Not so bad now as then.. But you're right, years from now I'll look back and laugh while telling the kiddos, You know how silly your ole' pa used to be, LOL No fancy lights, Etc.. Just something similar but smaller than a scanner to carry without getting unnecessary questions looks from ppl while in public.. Nothing illegal planned, No running calls, etc..

That's funny though, Thanks for sharing that, I needed a good laugh this early in the AM.. lol

KC0QNB

I wish I still had a picture of the old ford, it was the best $299 car I ever owned, it was retired from the phone company, it still had the blue and yellow stripes inside the edge of the hood and trunk, I bought it from Honest Al's, buy here pay here quality used car lot, funny thing though I went by there a few months after I bought it back in '80, there wasn't a car lot there anymore, wonder if Al wasn't. Anyway it lasted a year or so, then I had a buddy rebuild the carb, come to find out that was one of those carbs, you weren't supposed to rebuild, never ran right again, of course I was broke from buying all the other junk, and couldn't get a new carb, sold the car for $125 to a junk yard, I did ok on that deal! Then I bought a Datsun b210 wagon for $200, you should have seen that big federal 4 beam on that little blue thing, quite a sight to behold. I'm done G'night all.

btritch

I wish I still had a picture of the old ford, it was the best $299 car I ever owned, it was retired from the phone company, it still had the blue and yellow stripes inside the edge of the hood and trunk, I bought it from Honest Al's, buy here pay here quality used car lot, funny thing though I went by there a few months after I bought it back in '80, there wasn't a car lot there anymore, wonder if Al wasn't. Anyway it lasted a year or so, then I had a buddy rebuild the carb, come to find out that was one of those carbs, you weren't supposed to rebuild, never ran right again, of course I was broke from buying all the other junk, and couldn't get a new carb, sold the car for $125 to a junk yard, I did ok on that deal! Then I bought a Datsun b210 wagon for $200, you should have seen that big federal 4 beam on that little blue thing, quite a sight to behold. I'm done G'night all.

Curiosity makes me wonder, What kind of job did you have that required a pager? With a boss?

Just curious, Not bein' nosy... Well acutally I am, ha ha ha :D

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber

That's just awesome.... If only you could find a car like that now a days for that price.... jeeze....

Status
Not open for further replies.