paging/radio telephone in the fm broadcast band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9cra

Just for fun, go to the fcc's uls license search page. Go to advanced search and select range to enter a range of frequencies. Put in 88.005 as the floor and 107.995 as the ceiling. See what happens.

You'll see what I did. There are companies using what looks like broadcast facilities for paging transmitters. The problem is that the uls has them listed on fm broadcast frequencies. Some of these licenses are even active. It could be typing errors, but I'm not quite sure. They are definitly using the broadcast facilities of radio stations.

Are radio stations broadcasting paging signals on their frequencies? I don't know how this would work, because we listeners would most likely hear the noise from the data being transmitted, but maybe it's inbedded in the signal some how kind of like the digital information identifying the song/artist that shows up on some radios today?

At one time, I remember hearing news reports about tv's that would turn themselves on in the event of an EAS activation. I was young at the time and didn't hear much more than that, but might this be the same thing with radios. Could it have been an experimental trial of a paging system that would turn on your radio automaticly? I'm just morbidly curious. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I couldn't find the fm/am broadcast forum. I know it's around here somewhere.

nd5y

Can you give a link to one or more of these licenses?
I just tried that and didn't see anything that wasn't a broadcast station.

Back in the paging hayday (mid 90's) SCA paging was a market that never really developed, paging was killed off pretty quickly by cellphones.

nd5y

Interesting. The attachements on the applications spell out what they are doing. I had never heard of a separate license being issued for SCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.