Paging Transmitter Plague..

Status
Not open for further replies.

WouffHong

I have not been able to find this bad-boy in the Gilmer County North GA listings/forums, so am asking some of y'all that are good with FCC searches to find who "WNQE700" is - Frequency ~~ 158.92 or .93 and tearing up local SO reception at 158.85.

Thanks, and HOPE this Forum is OK for the question - found no other that sounded better. :)

Tom, W4NOV
http://scannorthga.com

af5rn

Is it tearing up SO reception for the SO? Is it doing so on professional equipment? Or is it interfering only with scanner reception of the SO?

kf4lhp

As the others have stated, it's licensed to the state of Georgia as part of their statewide paging network. Runs POCSAG at 1200 baud.

But, it looks like you won't have to deal with the interference for much longer. Information on their website states that they are the only state in the nation to operate their own paging network and will be shutting it down effective September 30, 2008.

http://gta.georgia.gov/00/press/detail/0,2668,1070969_110064732_111000503,00.html

--mws / kf4lhp

kf4lhp

Just in case another co buys it out and continues its service try the company (PAR Electronics) below.

The PAR filters are fine indeed.

That said, I doubt it'll be sold to a private vendor and remain on the current frequency. 158.925 is in the public safety pool.

--mws / kf4lhp

SLWilson

Paging...

Paging. Arugh!!!! Is is the scourge of our society!

Our EMS operates on 155.295 with a PL of 162.2 (South Towers) and 91.5 (North Towers) and Unity Communications runs a 300 Watt alpha-paging base about 3/4 of a mile away from our tower main site.

Even though we are PL'ed, at times they bust right through it. Or, they simply block mobile transmissions from our ambulances entirely. They are on 152.47 if you can believe that....

Steve/KB8FAR :(

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Paging. Arugh!!!! Is is the scourge of our society!

Our EMS operates on 155.295 with a PL of 162.2 (South Towers) and 91.5 (North Towers) and Unity Communications runs a 300 Watt alpha-paging base about 3/4 of a mile away from our tower main site.

Even though we are PL'ed, at times they bust right through it. Or, they simply block mobile transmissions from our ambulances entirely. They are on 152.47 if you can believe that....

Steve/KB8FAR :(

There was a story on the news a while ago about new homes going in about 1/4 mile from an AM radio station pumping something like 10,000 watts or around there. and all her metal in the house would hum and make a noise. shes currently trying to contact the FCC
There should be a law or something, couldnt you contact the frequency corridnator or something? juste turn down the power a bit?

Last edited:

n2mdk

There was a story on the news a while ago about new homes going in about 1/4 mile from an AM radio station pumping something like 10,000 watts or around there. and all her metal in the house would hum and make a noise. shes currently trying to contact the FCC

I think she would have better luck teaching the fence the words than contacting the FCC.

gcgrotz

As the others have stated, it's licensed to the state of Georgia as part of their statewide paging network. Runs POCSAG at 1200 baud.

But, it looks like you won't have to deal with the interference for much longer. Information on their website states that they are the only state in the nation to operate their own paging network and will be shutting it down effective September 30, 2008.

http://gta.georgia.gov/00/press/detail/0,2668,1070969_110064732_111000503,00.html

--mws / kf4lhp

Interesting, because the last I heard, the state of Virginia is building a statewide paging network somewhere on a 900 MHz frequency.

BTW, one of those PAR filters won't work that close. I have one blocking 158.700 0.6mi away from me and it still trashes up some rail freqs on 160MHz. You would probably need some expensive commercial filters, and that close in frequency the losses may be unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.