Palmetto 800 Going ENCRYPTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiewmorris

Some agencies are already encrypted; like SLED, and some county LE agencies, but as for all LE going encrypted, I seriously doubt it. It is left up to the agency whether they are analog, digital or encrypted, and going encrypted is very expensive, and some counties probably couldn't afford that.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
i'm not sure what affiliations your wife may have with the palm 800 system, but no, they are not all switching to encryption,i promise you, they might in time, but no time soon, maybe, maybe when nextel pays for them all to upgrade there sytems for rebanding, inthe next two years, but no sooner than that....

crazzycatman

Premium Subscriber
thanks guys, My wife heard it at work, she is a federal officer. she said by 2007 This is hopefully not true as i just got a 396 and 996. thanks for the replys

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
jaymatt1978 said:
Wouldn't they have to go DIGITAL before they went encrypted?

Not at all, but if they decide to go encypted while still using analog, their coverage area will drop and their audio will be horrible compared to if they were digitally encrypted.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
All the Feds will go encrypted digital, with individual counties/cities still doing as they are now... In other words, it'll be up to each agency.

jaymatt1978

Just an update I was in SC for my grandfather's funeral a few weeks ago and as far as I can tell the fire, ems and most of the law enforcement groups are still analog. I took my BC246T down there and it worked like a charm. So as of mid January everything is pretty much status quo!

LarrySC

Anderson Co Sheriff and Greenville Co Sheriff use encrypted on narc ID's. About once a week on an average. Some units are [e] and others are [dig] on the same ID. Just another day in the big city.

Status
Not open for further replies.