Palmetto 800 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFDQ1

Premium Subscriber
I recently moved to Chapin into a neighborhood off of Broad River Rd and I am having a terrible time hitting any tower that's remotely close to me. I am running a BCD536HP and a 436HP. I can not figure out what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

evan

Database Admin
Which sites have you tried? If you are trying to listen to the Lexington or Richland County sites, both are simulcast sites that the 536/436 can have a terrible time decoding due timing issues, though this is somewhat location dependent. See Simulcast Distortion - The RadioReference Wiki
Have you tried monitoring Newberry or Harbison?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
The Prosperity site, 2-94, is actually the closest site to your location, most likely. And it's not simulcast as far as I know. The question is, does it carry the talkgroups you're most interested in listening to? The only way to find out is to program it and see what you hear.

On the Palmetto 800 RR database page, look at the very top of the site list, and you'll see links to "Site Maps." If you click on the "FCC Callsigns" link, it will show you all tower sites that are part of the Palmetto 800 system based on the FCC licenses we have linked to all sites. If you click on "RR Locations" it will show you the location of each individual site based on the location information we have associated with each site. You have to do a little deductive reasoning to figure out which site corresponds to which pin on the map, but if you have a sense of the locations, it's easy to see which are simulcast.

You're probably also within range of Harbsion (which is also not simulcast), Lexington and perhaps Winnsboro. As Evan mentioned, location is everything, listeners a few doors down can have a much different experience. Elevation relative to nearby terrain, extent of trees surrounding your property, nearby commercial wireless towers, your antenna arrangement, all factor into your ability to monitor.

Let us know how the Prosperity site works for you.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
BTW, I noted some mistakes in the site list and made some minor corrections. I added "Simulcast" to the Newberry site name as it's a simulcast site now. And I corrected a mistake with the FCC callsigns on the Lexington site. This is why those sites show as recently modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.