Palmetto 800 Sites/Frequencies/P25 Phase ll

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrat1234

I have noticed the threads about the changes on Palmetto 800. I have also noticed changes.

Lexington county simulcast - 859.9625 was a alternate control but is now only used for voice

Winnsboro (Fairfield county) - 851.175 is listed as being used for voice but i haven't heard any activity on it for a week now. I have recorded all the winnsboro site voice traffic on the other voice frequency 858.7125. I believe that there is a second fcc license for the winnsboro site as there is currently only one frequency used for voice. if that is correct that may be why i hear alot of Fairfield county 800 users get bonked when they try to talk. SCHP,Winnsboro DPS,FCSD,DNR. I believe the Chester site also only has 1 frequency used for voice.

Prosperity (Newberry county) - saw some new frequencies being used that are on the fcc licenses. 852.2625,853.225,853.4875,859.9875

I also saw that a site named Clemson was added. What is this tower used for as its dead center of 4 existing towers and covers the same area. Is it a dedicated tower for Clemson university? . When i looked at the fcc license i saw all the frequencies for the Clemson site were licensed for 9K80D7W P25 Phase II fixed-end 2-slot TDMA (Harmonized Differential Quadrature Phase Shift Keyed modulation - H-DQPSK). This is the only tower i can find on plametto 800 licensed for phase ll.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I also saw that a site named Clemson was added. What is this tower used for as its dead center of 4 existing towers and covers the same area. Is it a dedicated tower for Clemson university? . When i looked at the fcc license i saw all the frequencies for the Clemson site were licensed for 9K80D7W P25 Phase II fixed-end 2-slot TDMA (Harmonized Differential Quadrature Phase Shift Keyed modulation - H-DQPSK). This is the only tower i can find on plametto 800 licensed for phase ll.

I was on Lake Hartwell this past weekend (staying on the Seneca side of the lake) and discovered the Clemson tower during some searches, so I added it to the database. I only listened to it for a few hours, but during that time I only heard DNR Region 1 on it. So I can confirm (1) it is active, (2) it is not limited to just Clemson University, and (3) it doesn't currently have a ton of traffic on it, at least during the weekend it didn't. Although it is located roughly in between 4 existing towers, I think that makes it an especially good location for a new tower. Surely there were areas of Clemson - especially inside buildings - where the other towers didn't penetrate especially well, and no doubt this tower fills in some gaps in the city.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I think the new site in Clemson may imply that there are other users (maybe Clemson City, Clemson University, or some Pickens County agencies, that may soon switch to Palmetto 800 as a primary radio system. I agree with Dan that the new site is probably to improve coverage and possibly add some capacity to account for potentially new users. It's not unusual for new sites to be quiet at first - unless the subscriber radios are reprogrammed with an updated list of control channel frequencies, the radio would have to to use neighbor site roaming or a band scan to find the new site. Given the coverage of the other local sites, that's probably not very common for a radio to look for the site.

If there are frequencies and/or callsigns missing from site listings, please let me know and I'll add them, or submit the changes through the submission process. A good way to find new callsigns is to go to one of the callsigns listed for the site. Scroll down on the license page to the frequency information. Use the displayed map to determine which location (1, 2, 3, etc) the site in question is listed as on the license, and then click on the Latitude number for the location. That will show a list of all callsigns at that particular location, or within .1mi. You can change the range to see more nearby licenses.

mrat1234

Brian this is what i have so far.

Prosperity Site new frequencies: 853.225,859.9875,853.4875

Winnsboro Site new frequency: 851.450

Also thanks for the info on the Clemson site. I believe the Harbison site is kinda like the Clemson site. used for more capacity/building penetration. I hope at some point they will add some more fill in sites to the system in the Fairfield/Chester county areas because their are a lot of dead spots in those counties.

mrat1234

Im having some trouble with Fairfield county. Im using a xts5000 and monitoring the voice frequency conventionally from the winnsboro and blair sites. Which includes winnsboro = 851.175/851.450/858.7125 and blair = 851.050/851.825. I have the correct nac of 1D4 in for all frequencies. The problem i have is im not receiving any traffic. One of my friends is a Fairfield county deputy. I met up with him and talked a little. While we were looking at our radios his radio was busy with 2 units looking for a vehicle while mine was silent. He said they have been having some problems tonight as well. What could be wrong. It was working fine on Saturday. I looked at the licenses for the winnsboro site and blair site and the frequencies were all licensed for simulcast (P25 Linear Simulcast Modulation ASTRO (9.6 kbps in 12.5 kHz channelspace). Could they be connected and be a 2 site simulcast cause i also see the winnsboro and blair site neither list the other as a neighbor site while all other sites are.

Sorry for the long question. Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.