palmetto 800 tower sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2ERI

would anyone happen to know which sites are shared with the edisto island and walterboro tower sites im trying to listen in summerville and when i visit beaufort but didn't see where these may be shared too allow me to hear traffic from the edisto site

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Most of Summerville PD is fulltime Encrypted the DE
1 (1)012 (C)Summerville (Charleston County)Dorchester, SC851.1125851.950852.3125852.7125853.1875c853.950c

435010feDESmrvl PD ControlSummerville PD Control Law Tac
435110ffDESmrvl PD TacSummerville PD Tactical Law Tac
43531101DESummerville PD?Summerville PD? Law Tac
43711113DESmrvl PD RecordsSummerville PD Records

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you trying to listen to agencies at Edisto Island from sites away from Edisto? So you're trying to hear, for example, Edisto PD from your location in Summerville?

Edisto Beach seems to be a curious place for radio monitoring. The Edisto Beach site, 1-11, is apparently part of the Charleston County "portion" of Palmetto 800, meaning it's operated/maintained/controlled by Charleston County. This particular site has 2 licenses: WQNW340 licensed to Charleston County, and WQSB945 licensed to Colleton County. Based on my monitoring, which is incomplete, this site lists two "neighbor sites": Charleston County Simulcast 1-10 and Ravenel 1-59. Surprisingly, and this may be because I haven't monitored the site in a long time, the Walterboro site is not listed as a neighbor.

Neighbor sites don't mean a whole lot, but they can be clues to the way things are set up. It would be logical to me to think that Edisto Island agencies would occasionally be affiliated to the Walterboro site. However, I don't believe that I have ever monitored the Edisto PD talkgroup off of that site before. Looking back through my event logs from a recent trip to the Charleston area when I monitored the Ravenel site, I can confirm that the Edisto PD talkgroup is active on that site, at least sometimes. An affiliation request on the Charleston County simulcast site on the Edisto PD talkgroup was denied. The same is true for an affiliation request on that talkgroup on the Beaufort County SImulcast site, it was denied.

If you can hear the Ravenel site from Summerville, that might be your best chance and hearing Edisto PD. I'm pretty certain that you won't hear Edisto traffic on any Beaufort County sites, nor on the Charleston County simulcast. Likely Edisto agencies are only carried on the Edisto site (1-11) and perhaps occasionally on the Ravenel site. I'm not certain about the Walterboro site.

If I misunderstood your question, please restate it.

Brian

K2ERI

im trying to listen to edisto PD/FD as i want to hear whats going on when im off duty from working there we use to Edisto Island Site primary and Walterboro as Secondary, i was curious as too which sites may share along with these two to hear traffic when i travel to summerville and charleston i can pick up edisto sites when im home in beaufort county was just curious which sites also may be on the system

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You may have just answered your own question PRIMARY SITE and SECONDARY SITE.
The system admins control what talkgroups are allowed to use what sites plus most sites only transmit data when a talkgroup radio is affiliated with that site.

K2ERI

That's what I figured see I'm am a old VHF repeater guy and these 800 systems are new to me so if i understand correctly if the two sites i know work for that talkgroup and I'm have their control and secondary frequency programmed in they will not hear other towers unless those frequency's are not listed on that towers frequency listing? if I'm understanding the 800 system correctly?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
That's what I figured see I'm am a old VHF repeater guy and these 800 systems are new to me so if i understand correctly if the two sites i know work for that talkgroup and I'm have their control and secondary frequency programmed in they will not hear other towers unless those frequency's are not listed on that towers frequency listing? if I'm understanding the 800 system correctly?

Yeah, so each tower site is a set of repeaters, tied together, with one active control channel and potentially several alternate/secondary control channels. If you program the frequencies of a site into your scanner, you'll hear the associated talkgroups that that specific site carries, assuming you program the talkgroups.

Not all sites carry all talkgroups, and not all sites carry specific talkgroups all the time. It's a dynamic thing, based on radios affiliated to specific sites and tuned to specific talkgroups. So, on the Ravenel site, the Edisto PD talkgroup may come and go as radios affiliate and de-affiliate. You don't have any control over what talkgroups are carried on specific sites and when.

Based in the information I have in my monitoring logs, Edisto PD is carried on Ravenel at times, maybe most of the time. However, that talkgroup is blocked from using the Charleston Co Simulcast site, as well as the Beaufort Co Simulcast site. So, you'll never hear Edisto PD on those sites. You may hear them on the Walterboro or Port Royal sites from time to time, but I have not verified that with my monitoring.

K2ERI

Yeah, so each tower site is a set of repeaters, tied together, with one active control channel and potentially several alternate/secondary control channels. If you program the frequencies of a site into your scanner, you'll hear the associated talkgroups that that specific site carries, assuming you program the talkgroups.

Not all sites carry all talkgroups, and not all sites carry specific talkgroups all the time. It's a dynamic thing, based on radios affiliated to specific sites and tuned to specific talkgroups. So, on the Ravenel site, the Edisto PD talkgroup may come and go as radios affiliate and de-affiliate. You don't have any control over what talkgroups are carried on specific sites and when.

Based in the information I have in my monitoring logs, Edisto PD is carried on Ravenel at times, maybe most of the time. However, that talkgroup is blocked from using the Charleston Co Simulcast site, as well as the Beaufort Co Simulcast site. So, you'll never hear Edisto PD on those sites. You may hear them on the Walterboro or Port Royal sites from time to time, but I have not verified that with my monitoring.

would you happen to know if edisto fire talkgroup uses the ravenel or charleston County Sites?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
would you happen to know if edisto fire talkgroup uses the ravenel or charleston County Sites?

I do not know about Edisto FD. I would assume that that talkgroup has the same access to sites as Edisto PD - Edisto Site, Ravenel Site, and maybe Walterboro site. As fire apparatus are less likely to leave the island area and thus their radios less likely to roam to other sites, I'd say it's less frequent when that talkgroup is carried on other sites.

K2ERI

so far i know walterboro and the edisto site...would anyone know about the ravenel site?

Status
Not open for further replies.