PALMETTO 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINNSBORO1

Anyone know of any chances of the Pal800 changing to Phase 2 anytime soon?
Also will a BCD-996 scanner be a good purchase for listening to SC systems and Charlotte and Atlanta systems. My Pro-96 died after over 9 years. Heard of too many problems with the new Unidens that I am looking hard at the 996 or possibly the 396 to replace it. Also what type of cable do these scanners use for programming? May consider the Home Patrol also.

I need some input to help me decide as I can get both scanners at a very good price.

Jaxco

The 996 comes with a programming cable, it will use either a special proprietary USB port or you can use a DB9 (COM Port) to USB cable. The 996 comes with it in the box though.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Palmetto system in Charlotte?

What I do to condense is to make a separate group for fire, police, medical and move the appropriate channels/talkgroups into those groups and then delete the original groups that I moved from. Generally each group many times will only have 1 or 2 items in it and the 20 limit comes up fast when it is that way.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know of any chances of the Pal800 changing to Phase 2 anytime soon?
Also will a BCD-996 scanner be a good purchase for listening to SC systems and Charlotte and Atlanta systems. My Pro-96 died after over 9 years. Heard of too many problems with the new Unidens that I am looking hard at the 996 or possibly the 396 to replace it. Also what type of cable do these scanners use for programming? May consider the Home Patrol also.

I need some input to help me decide as I can get both scanners at a very good price.

I am pretty sure the Pal800 is not going Phase 2 TDMA any time soon as that would require every radio on the system to be an APX radio (or Phase 2 TDMA compatible radio) and there are too many radios on the system that can't do Phase 2.
VIPER in NC is in the same boat: too many non-capable Phase 2 radios on the system.
I would not sweat Phase 2 TDMA anytime soon.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.