• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Palomar Model 50 AMP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty87

Anyone know anything about a Palomar model 50 amplifier? The power wires are cut on mine. I've never used one. Not sure if its 12v or 120v? Looks like there's a transformer. Anyone?

Attachments

• 20200607_165050.jpg
    20200607_165050.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200607_165244.jpg
    20200607_165244.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 48

Salty87

Also, like I said I don't know a lot about amplifiers for cb. Is this for keying up on the amp? And any idea, or guide on how I can hook it?

Attachments

• 15915652719197163875178273821764.jpg
    15915652719197163875178273821764.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 25

K4EET

Chaplain
In the picture on the right of the interior, at the bottom, is that a vacuum tube (valve)? Also, CB amplifiers are illegal in the US...

a417

A lot of times when the power wires are cut on things like that, there's a REAL good reason.

Find someone familiar with valve/tube driven equipment and have them have a look-see.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Change all your electrolytic caps, and see if you can find NoS tubes.
These things worked, i had 1 in the 70 or 80's it blew caps & a tube ... I overworked mine so it wasn't a surprise...
It will sound better than most cheap amps out today.
No idea what the green wire is; where does it go? According to a schematic, maybe it's 'ground to start'?
You'll need about 30 amp power supply to run it. Original power wires were probably just wires coming out. and so instead of de-soldering, they just got cut?

Salty87

Change all your electrolytic caps, and see if you can find NoS tubes.
These things worked, i had 1 in the 70 or 80's it blew caps & a tube ... I overworked mine so it wasn't a surprise...
It will sound better than most cheap amps out today.
No idea what the green wire is; where does it go? According to a schematic, maybe it's 'ground to start'?
You'll need about 30 amp power supply to run it. Original power wires were probably just wires coming out. and so instead of de-soldering, they just got cut?
Its actually a blue wire. And it goes to a relay inside..Thats why I was thinking it's for a switch or something? Will this thing just work as long as it has the radio and antenna hooked up? I was under the assumption you needed some type of keying switch to activate it. But like I said, I've never used one, this is totally new to me.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I don't recall it needing to be switched on only when keying up... but maybe it does. To test it; you could just ground the wire out & try it. did you google to see if you could find a manual? cbtricks is a good 1st stop...
You need to be sure your SWR is below 2 (1.5 is much better). If your caps are dried out (likely) it may not work at best, at worse it'll fry the tubes.
You should see a big draw when you transmit; if you see a big draw when you ground out that wire then it will need to be wired into the mic (easy to do on the inside of the radio). If it were me, I would replace all the electrolytic caps before trying it; but I'm paranoid about that stuff... you maybe OK and it'll work fine. Just make sure you have wiring suitable for about 30 to 40 amps.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
according to what I found, you don't need to wire anything up to your mic; it switches based on RF, as long as you transmit over 1 watt.
The blue wire is to "turn it on" (the doc suggests routing it to the dash so you can turn it on/off remotely)
it also points out that you should turn it on and wait a bit before use so the tubes can warm up....

Salty87

I don't recall it needing to be switched on only when keying up... but maybe it does. To test it; you could just ground the wire out & try it. did you google to see if you could find a manual? cbtricks is a good 1st stop...
You need to be sure your SWR is below 2 (1.5 is much better). If your caps are dried out (likely) it may not work at best, at worse it'll fry the tubes.
You should see a big draw when you transmit; if you see a big draw when you ground out that wire then it will need to be wired into the mic (easy to do on the inside of the radio). If it were me, I would replace all the electrolytic caps before trying it; but I'm paranoid about that stuff... you maybe OK and it'll work fine. Just make sure you have wiring suitable for about 30 to 40 amps.
Ok thanks. I did get it to power up with a desktop power supply. The tubes glowed red so I assume those are good? I'll have to buy another power supply since the one I have only does 5 amps. Thank you so much for the help. Do you have the link for the info you found?

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Got it from cbtricks.com.
I'm no expert on tubes; but I believe they can fail and still glow. Here is some info; but it is geared towards stereo amps, not RF amps. There is a Russian company that (as of a few years back) was making new vacuum tubes for reasonable costs if you can't find NoS stocks... Good to have spares on hand.

Salty87

I'm no expert on tubes; but I believe they can fail and still glow. Here is some info; but it is geared towards stereo amps, not RF amps. There is a Russian company that (as of a few years back) was making new vacuum tubes for reasonable costs if you can't find NoS stocks... Good to have spares on hand.
Thank you. I'm waiting on a power supply. Maybe ill try it out.this weekend. Ill let you know how it goes.

prcguy

The tubes in the Palomar were designed for use as TV horizontal line drivers in big old color TV sets. They are essentially designed for RF and there are no current mfrs for most of them or probably all of them since they are not used in audio applications. When you find them used the prices can be a bit scary like $20 to $50 each. Sometimes parting out an old CB amplifier is more profitable than trying to sell the amp complete if the tubes are tested good and guaranteed.

As far as glowing but being considered bad, this is true. When the filament is broken the tube doesn't lite up and its dead dead dead. It can light up fine but have most or all the special coating on the cathode (Tungsten carbide if I remember) and its emission will be down, or the amount of electrons that will usually be able to pass from cathode to plate will be diminished and the amount of power it will transfer will be greatly reduced. Some people say "my dang tubes are flat" meaning they will not amplify to spec and the amount of power you can get out of them is way down. You need a good tube tester or an amplifier set up to compare tubes to weed out low emission tubes.

Last edited:

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Someone told me that you should run your amp & CB with a shared ground - I don't know why, if it's an RF or other issue...
If it were me and you end up using a switching power supply, I'd run everything off the same power supply.
Remember: Tubes need to warm up. Don't power on and start transmitting right away -- let the thing warm up.
I'd get the numbers off the tubes now & start looking... same for the electrolytic... that's just me.

JayMojave

Hello Salty87: Those Palomar 50/60 linear amplifiers were all `12 Volt DC as said perversely. Even tho there low power and small they still help you get out much better. I had one in a 1962 Ford Comet with a 102 inch stainless steel whip antenna on top of the ca and talked to most everyone. Those Amps will have a high pitched wine when keyed, but normal. Make ya think your gettin out better.

Good luck with that hope you can make it work, its a great first linear Amp, the Ham Radio Guys at Palomar made a bunch of different Linear Amplifiers. I had one in a 74 duster and it was a blast, just a little 100 watt amp. but worked great. Those Palomar 50/60 won't put a lot of power out but again will help ya get better, it will more than double your range. Good luck please let us know how it works out for out.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

Salty87

Thank you all for the replies. I got everything powered up. And warm up ( damn it gets hot) but it seems it doesn't work :(. The "Relative Output" meter just barely moves when the stby switch is on. And it does the same amount of movement when the stby switch is off. I don't hear any of the relays inside clicking when I key up. Seems like something is definitely not working. Oh well. Still looks cool on my desk haha

What would you guys recommend for a modern amplifier? I don't want to go crazy. Just want to get out there a little more than I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.