Panasonic headphones circa 1978

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard5588

Hi. I have just bought a Panasonic RF-2200. Does anyone recall what model of headphones would have been sold circa 1978, that might have been marketed to be used with this radio? I'm looking to buy a modern retro set of headphones made by Panasonic, but before I decide anything, I'd like to know, if possible, what the headphones were at the time the RF-2200 was made. Perhaps an old-timer can recall. :) Thanks.

k9rzz

Welcome to RR!

??

20091208021128535.GIF

majoco

Stirrer
There might have been one of those el-cheapo single earpiece thingys, but the ad in Japanese shows an open-ear type pair of earphones much like my Akai that I still use now - very comfortable and good sound without that bass 'pumping' that you get with the enclosed ear variety.....

Boombox

Compared to today, the quality of most of the headsets made in the 1970's and they were marginal: too bassy and boomy compared to a lightweight set of modern headphones. They had speaker cones in them. OK for listening to record changers, perhaps, but not that great for DXing.

A more modern set will bring out the quality sound of your 2200 a lot better. You will hear the highs with more clarity, and will still be able to hear the bass sound. I just think that headphones made since the mid-1980's are much better quality.

Just my two cents worth.

richard5588

HI. I see that behind the battery compartment is a space for an ear bud type of earphone. I'm probably better purchasing a pair of new Panasonic RP-HTX7 retro headphones. A bit pricey in UK and Europe and even in Japan. Seem less costly is US though.

richard5588

By the way I love this RF-2200 I recently purchased here in the UK. Great on AM. I listen to a local oldies station much more now than I have this radio. Sounds something akin to a tube radio. Of course, I have to use a step down transformer with it, if I run it off mains. I get hash when I use mains, from all the hash caused by PC's in the room. So, for now I am using battery power.

richard5588

I assume that pair of headphones in the ad, will be made by Panasonic. I don't suppose a model number is see-able on the ad?

baltokid1

I owned a couple of Panasonic radios back in the seventies. I think I bought a set of Panasonic headphones
that were made to be used with these specific Panasonic models. I think the big thing about them was they converted FM to stereo.

Status
Not open for further replies.