Panasonic Toughbook CF-29

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Anyone here have or use a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook? I like the look and ruggedness. I was thinking of getting a refurbished one. I see them selling anywhere from $350 on up. What are the good and bad points? Is there another model that's better? Is there anything from another manufacturer that's as rugged? I'm just looking for basic computing, internet, email; no heavy graphics or gaming.

disasterops

Premium Subscriber
I like the CF-30 better it has the touch screen and backlit keyboard which is essential if you work at night...just my two cents..

RolnCode3

The real difference between the CF-28, 29, and 30 are the inclusion of evolving technology. They all can have backlit keyboards and touchscreens. The -29 refurbished would be a good choice for moderate computing needs in a ruggedized form. The -30 is the currently selling version still, and can be extremely expensive, even for a used one.

Older -28s can have up to a 1Gighz P3 (I think), and then you move up to a -29. I'm using a CF-28 600Mhz for basic work in my work truck. Slow, but still works fine. Just be realistic with your expectations from older computers.

If you're looking for other manufacturers, there's stuff like Getac, Motorola, General Dynamics, etc. Hop on ebay and search "ruggedized laptop" and similar phrases and you'll start to see some of the options.

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, I'm typing this on my CF-29 right now!

And for the record, it has a backlit keyboard and a touch screen. That isn't unique to any particular model line with the Toughies.

Attachments

• IMG00103-20101102-1736.jpg
    IMG00103-20101102-1736.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,191
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.