Panhandle Regional Planning Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjm2001

Has anyone in the Texas Panhandle programmed in all the Panhandle Regional Planning Commission frequencies? It appears that the PRPC has licensed several public safety frequencies including the Med Channels. I have heard a couple of frequencies being used by fire and EMS.
Does anyone know just how this organization is working with the panhandle counties to provide the radio frequencies that are being used and that are not showing up as being used by any one county?

ki4wbn

I don't know all of the specifics, but just coming from another regional planning commission in Texas, I know what they are doing.
Basically, that region has it's own radio system that is paid for and used by those in the region. It's a VHF linked radio system I believe, but that's strictly off the top of my head. Any jurisdiction has the ability to access and use the system if they choose to do so.

ki4wbn

Also, just dug this up on their website: "The Panhandle Regional Interoperable Communication System (PANCOM) is a state-of-the-art VHF repeater infrastructure that consists of a network of 52 tower sites interconnected by microwave radio to provide the 26-counties region-wide P25 standards-based communications. In addition to VHF communications, the PANCOM microwave system also provides backup communication services, patching ability and rerouting capability for the regions 911 PSAPs. The PANCOM system is managed by the PRPC on behalf of its 88 city and county member jurisdictions."

nd5y

Why would PANCOM not be included in the database for the counties that pay into this commission?? Seems like this would be listed in the database but I don't see it.
A lot of things are missing from the database. Especially in sparsely populated areas like western Texas.

The only things in the database are what is submitted by us users/members and is supposed to be confirmed.
If nobody in a certain area cares or is capable or smart enough to make decent submission of the proper information and keep the information up to date then the database is a joke.

This was added a few days ago:
Panhandle Regional Planning Commission Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
There are no input frequencies or tones.
PRPC is not a state agency but the admins put it under 'Texas State Agencies' even though it doesn't belong there.
The database is a mess and only getting worse.

mjm2001

PANCOM or Panhandle Regional Planning Commission Radio system

Had a conversation with a radio tech who is familiar with the Pancom system and learned that in Dallam and Hartley counties that the three towers in that area are tied together in such a way that radio traffic that comes in on one tower is re-transmitted on all three. The towers also use a receiver voting system that uses the strongest received radio signal to be re-transmitted.

PRPC has developed and built the communication infrastructure it is up to each county, agency or municipality to determine how they will use the system and to what extent of course dependent on funding. There is no set CTCSS or DPL plan in place however some counties or agencies do pick one tone and use it throughout. The system is used mainly by fire and EMS at this time with some counties or municipalities law enforcement using it as well. Some of the users are using P25 digital and some are analog. The choice which is used is dependent on the agency and of course funding.

I have been able to identify some of the agencies and what channels they are using by them calling a given agency name while others don't do that making it difficult to determine who is using what. I have also been able to determine the agency or county service such as EMS by the traffic on the channel and am working on a list for that purpose.

I am using proscan software to do logging and it is working great to determine which frequencies I can hear as well as the PL tone used and other info. My suggestion is to program all the freqs found in other posts about the Panhandle Regional Inter-operable Communication System (PANCOM)or Pancom system and use a program like proscan to log the active freqs in your part of the panhandle and submit your findings to the database.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.