PAPD P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Can confirm all encyrpted, only channel Im still hearing sporadic comms on is the "Central Police Desk" channel on 453.4

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
That's what I thought since I wasn't hearing anything on the new P25 system. Thanks.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
The bus terminal operations on UHF are still analog, building maintenance/operations staff are using APX6000

Probably worth a try to listen on 453.6500 for airport operations

Airtrain staff are most likely staying on the same channel as well (they are on UHF)

PAPD did not upgrade to “new” radios, they are still using MACOM/Harris P7100. I can’t speak for dispatch or mobile radios though. Unless they upgrade to newer generation radios, I can’t see them going TDMA since the P7100 are not capable of it.

coolrich55

From what I can tell, not that it matters but a place in NJ, right near the Hudson, I'm not picking up the new system where as the old system was always loud and clear. So I suppose even if they weren't encrypted we'd still have problems monitoring.

coolrich55

Did any of the local media report on the change? Are they disappointed that they can't listen anymore to get a news story? I'd imagine if nypd decides to go full encryption media would make a stink about it. Not that they could do anything about it.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Well, this explains why my SDS100 was silent on the PAPD EDACS system last week when I spent a night at an EWR hotel before a morning flight. Glad I didn't waste time trying to reprogram it thinking the file was corrupted. Sorry to see yet another one bite the dust.

ansky

Did any of the local media report on the change? Are they disappointed that they can't listen anymore to get a news story? I'd imagine if nypd decides to go full encryption media would make a stink about it. Not that they could do anything about it.

The NYC media doesn't care about this because they are not using scanners anyway. This isn't 1985 anymore. The second any newsworthy story occurs there are 100 people posting it on Twitter, Instagram and now the Citizen APP. The media basically has 20 million freelance reporters all over the tri-state area. They don't need scanners to get their news.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
quick question why did papd when fully encrypted?

Rumor has it.....

....that a job they had out at JFK (perhaps last year?) where ICE let one of their "detainees" being deported escape at the airport, was monitored and sent out by one of the paging services, verbatim, to what was said on the PA radio. So much so, that the 11pm news repeated what was reported on the pagers, word-for-word, and it became national news.

To an agency that demands secrecy on all levels of their operation, and to be able to deny anything they want, that was TOO much.

(PS...the escapee was eventually arrested in Chicago at a later date).

Status
Not open for further replies.