paperwork gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMS_Beagle

I’m hoping someone who is more familiar with all this can provide some insight.
Because of how small the community is I am going to omit any details that may be revealing.

I passed my tests for tech and gen.(not without snide and accusatory comments from the VE’s) Or so I was told, the VE’s said they aren’t allowed to tell us how well we scored. I wait and wait, nothing in the uls. Everyone else who tested and passed, showed up right on time. I make inquiries. No one has my paperwork, no one knows where it is/was/went. I have the csce, but without the original paperwork the csce isn’t worth the paper its on.

I’m starting to think the VE just threw my paperwork away, aren’t they supposed to keep copies? How else could this happen? I can understand copies getting lost in the mail, but the originals are gone too?

From everything I have read, I have to start over with the tests. Is there any way I can get my originals and submit the copies on my own next time(really bad taste in my mouth right now)? That's if I even bother, the next test I can make is 3 months away(I will have to travel quite a ways to avoid that person). And I’m really not into starting over with the studying.

HMS Beagle

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Contact the VE organization you tested with. Their headquarters VE office, not the locals. Be prepared to send them copies/scans of your documents.

Sent from Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Your CSCE is proof that you passed the tests. It is not a worthless piece of paper. How well you scored on the test has no impact on whether or not your license will be issued. If you passed the test, and the paperwork is processed by the VE team and their VEC, you get a license. If you have a CSCE, you passed the test unless the VE team really screwed up.

As krokus said, contact the VEC that coordinated the VE group you tested with.

You can find a list of the VECs here:

NCVEC - FCC Certified VECs

Last edited:

HMS_Beagle

krokus,

That is what I did. The only paper I have is the csce. They have not seen anything with my name on it .

W9BU
Without the original test to make and send a copy of, the csce is worthless, thats the arrl stance on it. Even though I have the csce(1 copy), it is not honored without the test(copy/original copy).
The ve's claim to have nothing with my name, vec never received anything with my name.
I know that the actual score isn't really a matter, unless, my score was close to passing and upon further review it was determined to be failing(even tho 3 ppl graded it there). Then perhaps my papers got tossed. That's as close to a rational explanation as I can get.

I'm ok with writing this off as an anomaly. But I won't be taking the test again if I can't handle my own paperwork.
Thank you both for taking the time to respond.
HMS Beagle

N0IU

Or so I was told, the VE’s said they aren’t allowed to tell us how well we scored.

The other guys have already answered your question, but as to whether or not the examiners can tell you your score, that is entirely up to the discretion of the examiners.

k6cpo

Unless it's the policy of the particular VEC, there is nothing wrong with telling you how well you scored on the examination. As a matter of course here, if the candidate passes he exam we will put the final passing grade on the back of the CSCE. What we DON'T do is tell them what specific questions they missed.

If you were given a CSCE and it was later determined that you actually failed the test, the VEC should have contacted you and made arrangements to have you retake the exam. It sounds like this particular VE organization is sloppy in their record keeping and needs to be reported to the National Council.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Without the original test to make and send a copy of, the csce is worthless, thats the arrl stance on it.
Did you take the test with an ARRL VE team? If so, and the ARRL never received your paperwork from the VE team, there's not much the ARRL can do except investigate the matter with that VE team. If you didn't take the test with ARRL VE team, there's not much the ARRL can do.

The ve's claim to have nothing with my name, vec never received anything with my name.
So, you've contacted the VE team and that's what they told you?

But I won't be taking the test again if I can't handle my own paperwork.
If that's your stance, then you probably won't be taking the test again. I know of no way that you can take an U.S. amateur radio license test and get your application processed unless you go through a local VE team and their VEC.

HMS_Beagle

W9BU,
Yes, it was arrl.

yes, that is what i was told.

You confirmed what I have come to understand, too bad, no ticket for me.

Thank you very much for your time in answering.

regards
HMS Beagle

AK9R

Super Moderator
I'm an ARRL VE. I don't understand why the ARRL is telling you that your CSCE is not valid. Assuming you have the original CSCE and it is signed by three VEs, it should be valid.

I quote from the ARRL VE Manual:

Valid Forms of Examination Element Credit

The following are means to verify the credit status of someone eligible for credit. At a test session, the VEs will review all documents presented by applicants. FCC does not require the applicant to have been continuously licensed.

Such valid credit documents may include:

1. For any credit, a CSCE issued within the previous 365 days for Element Credit (credit as indicated) is acceptable.

Credit from CSCEs

FCC Rule 97.505 provides for a candidate to be given credit for elements passed at earlier VEC-coordinated sessions. A Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) is valid for 365 days beginning on the date it is issued. A CSCE conveys credit only for elements and the upgrade indicated. (Not all CSCEs validate an upgrade.) The team must collect a copy of every CSCE reviewed and include the copy with the test session package being sent to the ARRL/VEC.

To be given CSCE credit for any element(s) claimed at your test session, the candidate must present your team with the actual original valid CSCE document issued within the previous 365 days. A candidate may hold more than one valid CSCE at test time. Also, the CSCE(s) may have been issued by any one of the current 14 VECs--all of which must be accepted in the ARRL/VEC Program.

If I were you, I'd go to the next VE session in your area with your original CSCE and ask that you be given credit.

HMS_Beagle

W9BU,
Yes you are correct, credit for an upgrade. I never had a license. While I can go take the extra and use the csce for credit(and if i pass), it still doesn't give me a license to apply the upgrade to. For that I need the originals. I asked that question too.
Trust me, I was really frustrated. I've gotten over it.

HMS Beagle.

LtDoc

Sounds like the VE team screwed up. That csce is proof that you DID pass the test(s), now it's up to you to 'chew' on the VEC to get things straightened out. The VE team goofed, so they can correct their mistake. It does happen, and it can certainly be corrected.
- 'Doc

AK9R

Super Moderator
OK, let's quote 47 CFR 97.505 directly:

§97.505 Element credit.
(a) The administering VEs must give credit as specified below to an examinee holding any of the following license grants or license documents:

(1) An unexpired (or expired but within the grace period for renewal) FCC-granted Advanced Class operator license grant: Elements 2 and 3.

(2) An unexpired (or expired but within the grace period for renewal) FCC-granted General Class operator license grant: Elements 2 and 3.

(3) An unexpired (or expired but within the grace period for renewal) FCC-granted Technician or Technician Plus Class operator (including a Technician Class operator license granted before February 14, 1991) license grant: Element 2.

(4) An expired FCC-issued Technician Class operator license document granted before March 21, 1987; Element 3.

(5) A CSCE: Each element the CSCE indicates the examinee passed within the previous 365 days.

(b) No examination credit, except as herein provided, shall be allowed on the basis of holding or having held any other license grant or document.

Your original CSCE is valid for examination credit whether you are applying for an upgrade or not. You can take it to any VE session and get credit. Any VE team can process a license application using your CSCE.

Last edited:

HMS_Beagle

W9BU,

thank you for the information. I tried sending you a pm but I'm not allowed.

HMS Beagle

Status
Not open for further replies.