Par Electronics End Fed Best SWLing Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
So many folks have said that the Par Electronics End Fed is the best shortwave listening antenna. Are there any other SWLing antennas that you think are better?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Best

So many folks have said that the Par Electronics End Fed is the best shortwave listening antenna. Are there any other SWLing antennas that you think are better?

I don't think there is something called a best antenna, I have a Par Electronics End Fed Antenna and it works OK for me , but just because it works for me does not mean you will get good performance also, It depends on the radio you are using, The antenna, The band conditions, what bands you want to listen to and what time of the year it is where you are situated and many other things, so the best thing I have found too do is buy several antenna's and try different antenna set ups and pick the one that is working best for you.
Steve

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there is something called a best antenna, I have a Par Electronics End Fed Antenna and it works OK for me , but just because it works for me does not mean you will get good performance also, It depends on the radio you are using, The antenna, The band conditions, what bands you want to listen to and what time of the year it is where you are situated and many other things, so the best thing I have found too do is buy several antenna's and try different antenna set ups and pick the one that is working best for you.
Steve

Since you are using the same radio as me and there are a limited number of bands in SWLing these days, I suspect the PAR EF will work fine. My current RF Systems EMF is only 16ft long, so I'm sure anything will be an improvement over that.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm not sure I would agree with the 'limited number of bands' - HF is a very wide territory, changing quite literally with the sun, so there's lots to hear, depending on what your interests are. At 16 foot, that antenna wouldn't be very efficient say, down on 49 meters or even lower. As Saint has implied with his description, there's a great many factors to consider when choosing an antenna. One of the most important is whether you can put up something outdoors and how much room you have.

Certainly the Par is one of the best - but 'the best' is very much in the mind of the beholder....

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.