Paradise Valley PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
The only frequency I can confirm is 857.9625 100.0 PL. This is their main dispatch channel. I have never heard them on the Maricopa County Trunked system.

rwier

Does anyone here actually monitor this system and if so does your info correspond to RR data?

Thanks.

Does PV have a cruiser marked PVPD?
Does PV have a 2nd cruiser marked PVPD (for car to car)?
Does PV have an actual Police Station (structure)?
Does said Police Station (if exists) have a 24/7 switchboard/dispatch radio switchboard?

I have never heard a peep radio wise and have always assumed that the City/Town of PV was a few very expensive homes on a hill, and was basically only a technical political subdivision designed to control local Codes.

Last edited:

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Does PV have a cruiser marked PVPD?
Does PV have a 2nd cruiser marked PVPD (for car to car)?
Does PV have an actual Police Station (structure)?
Does said Police Station (if exists) have a 24/7 switchboard/dispatch radio switchboard?

I have never heard a peep radio wise and have always assumed that the City/Town of PV was a few very expensive homes on a hill, and was basically only a technical political subdivision designed to control local Codes.

What you are saying is what I've wondered about for years now. I've never heard a peep, ever. And I have tried monitoring in the area, on Friday / Saturday evenings when there should be SOME type of traffic. I have NEVER seen a PV patrol car. I have been an avid news watcher for years, and don't recall a single story EVER involving the PVPD. Could they be just a myth, an agency on paper only? Very good question.

rwier

Paradise Valley, AZ - Official Website - Divisions

From the above site

The Patrol Division of the Paradise Valley Police Department is comprised of five patrol squads. Each squad consists of four officers and one sergeant. The Department's Commander heads the patrol division, and is responsible for the overall delivery of daily police services.

The five patrol squads provide around-the-clock coverage of the Town, generally with four officers and a supervisor on-duty at any given time. Also, due to the compressed work schedule utilized by patrol (four 10-hour days), there are periods during the shift changes when two squads are working together for up to three hours. This overlap provides the most manpower during the periods of the highest demand for police service.

To provide this patrol service, a modern fleet of vehicles is utilized. These cars are equipped with the most modern systems available for radio and phone communications, first aid supplies for treatment of the injured parties, mobile video systems, and several thermal imaging cameras mounted on vehicle roofs. This camera allows officers to actually see in total darkness.

They sure keep a low profile for so much fire-power.

Last edited:

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
All I can say is...wow, and thanks for doing that digging. It sounds like they only spring for the best equipment, which makes sense given the lofty tax base. And for what is basically a bunch of houses on a handful of hills, that's a lot of manpower.

Now after thinking about what you posted, I am even MORE amazed that I have never talked to ANYONE who has heard a peep out of them. I find it hard to believe that they are using the frequencies listed everywhere when nobody is hearing them even as they have 5-10 units on patrol at any given time. I am even more intrigued. A good mystery...because it would be some interesting listening given their unique level of equipment I think.

hpycmpr

A FCC search turns up 860.2375 and 460.350 under the name of " Paradise Valley, Town of " with transmitters at Thompson Pk, Mummy Mtn, and I suspect city hall. They're out there somewhere.

Steve

rwier

And I suppose there is no legal requirement for the vehicles to be brightly lit and painted up like a NASCAR entry. Maybe they are matte black with all the chrome removed and with recessed emergency lights. Cadillac SUV's would be perfect. If the officers wore sport coats and ties, two or three of their vehicles stopped together would look like security for a high ranking politician or entertainment personality.

Espi

Pvpd

I can tell you this. Their main site is a solar powered site up on Mummy Mountain. I don't remember the freq off the top of my head.

Their dispatch is manned full time and they just recently upgraded their console system from and old Centracom Button and LED to MCC 5500.

If you are tying to monitor them and are located south of Camelback Mountain it may be a challenge.

There was talk of them migrating over to the RWC or maybe join up with county.

Astrak

They're quite active on the frequency provided by CellPhone. They don't have a fire department, I believe they contract with Scottsdale and Phoenix fire for medical services.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
I copied traffic on their 800mz repeater yesterday while sitting at N 67th Ave & I-10. Dispatch was giving out a job to one of the units.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
OK, as funny as it sounds I found the problem. Many years ago when first switching to software driven radios and entering the info, I picked the wrong PL code (was one off). All I did was go back and look, realize it, switch the code, and there they were, although you have to be in just the right location to get them. I caught some traffic on the I17 near Camelback, and that was it....gone. But the DO exist hehe.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I know this is an older thread, but I didn't see it when it was active. I monitor PV PD all the time. I work near there and live not too far away and I know people who live there so I have a bit of an interest.

Based on personal listening experience (your mileage may vary here), about once or twice a month they get something really interesting. the rest of the time it's vacation watches, silent alarms and people who don't look like they belong in the area, which basically means that unless you drive a fancy car, some resident is going to call 9-1-1 and report you as a suspicious person!

Probably THE MOST interesting call I've ever heard actually made it to a news clip. Someone went to go outside their house and saw an animal in their yard. They call 9-1-1 and report a BABY LION in their front yard. Then they said it could be a BABY TIGER, but either way they're pretty sure it wasn't a cat native to the area. So, the police show up, guns drawn, go looking for a 'big cat' and what they find is a bobcat taking a nap under a tree near a leaking hose. Pretty harmless. When it was reported on the news the reporter said the police were looking for a Mountain Lion, but mountain lion was never mentioned in any of the transmissions so I don't know where they got that from. Either way, a Bobcat looks nothing like a baby lion or tiger. hahaha.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I know this is an older thread, but I didn't see it when it was active. I monitor PV PD all the time. I work near there and live not too far away and I know people who live there so I have a bit of an interest.

Based on personal listening experience (your mileage may vary here), about once or twice a month they get something really interesting. the rest of the time it's vacation watches, silent alarms and people who don't look like they belong in the area, which basically means that unless you drive a fancy car, some resident is going to call 9-1-1 and report you as a suspicious person!

Probably THE MOST interesting call I've ever heard actually made it to a news clip. Someone went to go outside their house and saw an animal in their yard. They call 9-1-1 and report a BABY LION in their front yard. Then they said it could be a BABY TIGER, but either way they're pretty sure it wasn't a cat native to the area. So, the police show up, guns drawn, go looking for a 'big cat' and what they find is a bobcat taking a nap under a tree near a leaking hose. Pretty harmless. When it was reported on the news the reporter said the police were looking for a Mountain Lion, but mountain lion was never mentioned in any of the transmissions so I don't know where they got that from. Either way, a Bobcat looks nothing like a baby lion or tiger. hahaha.

I agree that they are not generally very exciting. Let's face it, the crime rate in PV is pretty low. The cops there are more security guards than anything I would suspect, preventing burglaries from homes with lots of goodies in them.

JoeyC

Paradise Valley PD is alive and well as previously reported. I'm listening to their traffic stops right now from Scottsdale. Which leads me to my next question in the Scottsdale PD thread....

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I agree that they are not generally very exciting. Let's face it, the crime rate in PV is pretty low. The cops there are more security guards than anything I would suspect, preventing burglaries from homes with lots of goodies in them.
I'm sure they don't see themselves as more of a security guard than a police officer, but unfortunately, that's pretty accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.