Paragould PD to go Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzdiesel

PARAGOULD, AR (KAIT) - With the close of 2011, many cities are preparing costs for the new year. And for the city of Paragould, there's a lot in store for 2012.

It's that time of year, when city officials sit down to nail down the budget for the coming year. And for Paragould Mayor Mike Gaskill, it's no different.
"It's all part of the budget process to ensure that we are going to live on what we know we'll have coming in, as oppose to living on what we anticipate coming in," said Gaskill.

Gaskill has a lot he wants to accomplish in 2012. One item on the list includes adding new video cameras to all city police cars. "That's something we've been working on the past couple of years," said Gaskill.
He say the city is also working to transition all city radios from analog to digital. "That expense itself is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 440-thousand dollars," said Gaskill.

It's a cost that has already been included in each individual department's budget, along with a little assistance for the 911-reserve fund. But one of the largest expenses in the coming year...

More at Paragould Considers big purchase in 2012 - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports, classifieds-

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Now we have to wait for the new FCC lic to see WHAT KIND of digital.... True P-25 on AWIN, or stand alone... OR that MotoTRBO or nXDN crapola.

btritch

I can tell you it will NOT be AWIN. It will most likely be the same thing GCSO is going to.. That being the case it'll be Kenwood NEXEDGE... They're going to their old UHF trunking system that they don't use, However, GCSO is going to UHF Kenwood NexEDGE... Most likey that's what the New Paragould System Will be as well. It will be PD and Fire.

btritch

I know Greene County SO will be fulltime Encryption, I'm not sure about city but I'd just about bet money that they will be if the use any at all it'll be fulltime most liikely.

ktedder

Scanner

Does this mean we will not be able to pick up ppd and fire , gcso on the scanner? If their will be a way or some type of scanner to get let me know because I would still like to listen to them and state police

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Another waste of encryption. And another waste of taxpayers money by not buying something that allows interop. Another case of paranoia and fear by the powers that be. They don't even need encryption when using nexEdge... we can't hear it anyway and never will as nexEdge, MotoTRBO, etc are propriatary and will never be seen in a scanner.

JRayfield

The CAI (Common Air Interface - 'over the air' protocol) used in MOTOTRBO is not 'proprietary'. It's DMR - Digital Mobile Radio, which is a standard. Given enough usage, it's entirely possible that DMR will eventually make it into scanners.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Another waste of encryption. And another waste of taxpayers money by not buying something that allows interop. Another case of paranoia and fear by the powers that be. They don't even need encryption when using nexEdge... we can't hear it anyway and never will as nexEdge, MotoTRBO, etc are propriatary and will never be seen in a scanner.

btritch

Does this mean we will not be able to pick up ppd and fire , gcso on the scanner? If their will be a way or some type of scanner to get let me know because I would still like to listen to them and state police
Not sure if Fire is changing, PD and GCSO definately is and NO, There is NO scanner on the market that will hear it..

ktedder

How about Arkansas state police? Can you and will you be able to listen to them?

ktedder

What digital scanner would you recommend and what about the uniden home patrol scanner?

safetyobc

The HomePatrol-1 is a great scanner. Especially with the "Extreme Upgrade." Even without the upgrade it is a great radio. I use the PSR-800 and love it! I have also owned and like the PSR-500 and the BCD396XT.

If you are looking to save a little $$ you may can find a used digital scanner like the BCD396T, BCD996T, Pro-96, Pro-2096, etc. Radio Shack also discounts their digital scanners like the Pro-106 and 197 from time to time.

More on the extreme upgrade Introducing the HomePatrol-1 Extreme Update - YouTube

ktedder

Thanks for the info. What frequencies can we listen to the Arkansas state police on in the northeast Arkansas area?

safetyobc

Thanks for the info. What frequencies can we listen to the Arkansas state police on in the northeast Arkansas area?

Check out this map and see what towers are in your area (within 20 to 30 miles of you). Then check out the Arkansas AWIN database and program those towers and any talk groups (channels) you are interested in hearing.

Of course if you get the HomePatrol or PSR-800 then that information isn't really that relevant because the scanner already has the information built into it. All you have to do is select your area and what you want to hear within the scanner.

Last edited:

btritch

the story in the paper yesterday said that ALL Departments in the City (Police AND FIRE) will be going to Digital... Encryption was not mentioned but from what I hear it will be Digital NexEDGE and will be on UHF. Greene County Sheriff's Dept. will also be Digital UHF NexEDGE...All of this will take effect April 1st 2012...Arkansas State Police Will Remain on Digital AWIN at this time...

Status
Not open for further replies.