• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Parallel port to Serial Port Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob

I just picked up an IBM Thinkpad in excellent condition. But missing is the serial port I was assured that it had.

Can I use a parallel port (M) to serial port (M) adapter plug to program Motorola mobiles and HT's? Any gotchas doing this?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
A serial port transmits data one bit at a time. A parallel port transmit data 8 bits (1 byte) at a time so I seriously doubt it. It seems almost no computers come with serial ports anymore. It's all gone to USB

krazybob

Understood and why I asked. Is there a USB-Serial adapter that works? It seems that each device has a different driver. Like software to program HT's of various brands uses one cable/driver and another cable requires a different driver. I've got an Astro Spectra mobile to program. A MSF5000. A couple of MT2000's. A couple XTS's HT's. Is there one USB-serial that works?

SCPD

QRT
Motorola had reccomended the iogear usb to serial converter back during the xts beginning. I recall we used a few when we had a few machines missing a serial port during a switch over and never had a issue but it was short lived as we went to other directions. Of course it was using legit serial cables not any of the fly by night ones. But I have heard hams saying they never had a issue. You will need to make sure the drivers are installed correctly and assigned usb port. Not hard. But the iogear serial to usb I recall worked on the xts and xtl as a last resort Motorola had reccomended if no serial ports were available and you did not order the oem usb cable or had machines lacking serial and had oem serial cables around. However they did not reccomended any firmware or ibutton updates being thrown through the iogear. Only reading and writing of the codeplug basic data.

The model at time back then for the (xts and xtl) was the GUC232A. As for other brands or models never tried or they did not specify other then the xts xtl. Maybe someone else could chime on using other late models or brands they programmed using it. I sure wouldn't try a APX with it though. But that is my thought.

Last edited:

krazybob

Thank you both for your replies. I have a box of USB adapters, each with a different driver. This will make a nice programming PC that will replace the 386 with the tiny screen...

Let me ask, though. I have a the programming RIB that comes with an active parallel-to-serial adapter. It runs on 9v or an adapter. Would this work? Hell. my head hurts. I don't remember how to even plug into the MSF it's been so long. Total brain fade.

kawa-rib.jpg

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
That plug on the left looks like a printer port.

toolman60

The cable that came with my 4008e rib was db 25 on the pc end so it should do just fine on the db25 on the thinkpad.

clbsquared

The Astro Spectra and the MT2000 are the only radios you will need a RIB for that's in the list of radios you mentijned. The other radios will program straight from a USB to Serial converter connected to the programming cable. The RIB in the photo you posted is a Kawamall RIB and not an OEM RIB. And to answer your question, yes, serial to serial and the DB25 end to the radio.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

clbsquared

If it's an Astro Spectra mid power it's the accessory connector. Which is a DB15 if I'm not mistaken. High power spectra are the DB25 to the right of the control head port and an Astro Spectra Plus is through the mic port

clbsquared

The more I think about it, I might be wrong on the direction of connectors on the RIB. I'll have to verify it in the morning when I have access to my RIB.

krazybob

LOL. Its OK. I can't remember either !!!

It's DB9 from the laptop to the RIB to the DB25 but I forget where it plugs in. The SSCB or the MRTI.

I have the test set and they plug into their respective RX and TX ports.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It is a parallel cable to a RJ45 that I think is underneath the faceplate.

s-l225.jpg
That cable requires a RIB box.

Motorola RIB always required a 9 or 25 pin RS232 to 15 pin custom cable. The 15 pin connector is on the PC side of the RIB box. The 25 pin connector is on the radio side.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Just to eliminate any confusion that I think may be in this thread. SERIAL ports came in two flavors on the PC, a 9 pin (DB-9) and 25 pin (DB-25). Adapters between the two sizes were common. 25 pin serial fell out of favor and in the "later years" of serial ports most were 9 pin.
Parallel ports came in a 25 pin (DB-25) and 36 pin (Centronics). The 36 pin was usually on equipment like printers.
On the PC chassis, serial (9 or 25 pin) connector was normally a male connector, and parallel connector female.
Just because a device has a particular DB connector does NOT mean it is serial or parallel. DB connectors are used for a whole variety of interfaces. One can not assume a particular interface by the size or gender of the connector.

krazybob

Thanks. 30 years building computers and its real helpful to know that. Now I wonder if anybody can answer the question as to whether or not there is a parallel to serial adapter that actually works.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.