Paramedic needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdf747emt

I'm a Paramedic in Spencer Co, Ky, we went to all digital this year. My old scanner will not work anymore. The most Horrible thing happened this day less that 1/4 mile from me. Two of my daughters friends died there, and one was airlifted to UofL room 9, here i was with my ALS kit , less than 2 minutes away and didnt know, i'm just destroyed by this, as is my daughter. what scanner do you advise I get to pick up our digital freq's??? My name is J.D. Fleming EMT-P, Spencer Co. / Henry Co. EMS. Just need the simplest one I can get, only need 5 freqs covered. Thankyou, and please pray for these familys who have lost so much, i will alway now wonder, if i could have helped prevent them from dieing, cant sleep now, Thankyou all. jdf747emt@yahoo.com

KK4ELO

Well, as much as i feel your pain, (being a vol. firefighter, one of my friends from H.S. died in a house fire.) it all depends on how much you are willing to spend. there re several scanners that are digital capable.unfortunately, none are "simple". a home patrol may beyour best bet, but others may chime in on this. scannermaster.com is a supporter of this website, you might check with them. also radio shack and many other places carry digital capable scanners. another thing i would consider, even though im a FF in my county, we do not respond to medical calls. i have a 2 yr old daughter that suffers from seizures, so i got a minitor v, (with the ems directors approval, for the radio police) to receive our local ems that i can carry to work.
a scanner may be just a bit cheaper than a minitor v. just remember, GET YOUR DIRECTORS APPROVAL. Hell, who knows, he may give you a pager. all you have to do is ask....

a good place to start. https://www.scannermaster.com/Digital_Scanners_s/269.htm

My sympathies to your daughters friends. will pray for their families.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Thanks I appreciate the info!

Just looked at the database here on RR, and there isn't any digital for either county. There is conventional analog frequencies for Spencer County FD. The only thing that is might be interpreted as digital is the digital PL (DPL) which when monitored on an analog scanner, will still be heard. My take is that a regular analog scanner would work. Maybe asking in the KY state forum further down the forums page would get you better answers:)
HTH,
Larry

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

N8IAA said:
Thanks I appreciate the info!

Just looked at the database here on RR, and there isn't any digital for either county. There is conventional analog frequencies for Spencer County FD. The only thing that is might be interpreted as digital is the digital PL (DPL) which when monitored on an analog scanner, will still be heard. My take is that a regular analog scanner would work. Maybe asking in the KY state forum further down the forums page would get you better answers:)
HTH,
Larry

To expand that, a bit: if your system did go digital, and it is not reflected in the database yet, knowing what type of digital it is, is important. There are some digital systems that no scanner can monitor. (OpenSky, NexEdge, MotoTrbo, etc...)

Even if you had a scanner, had it on, had it tuned correctly, and was in the area with your kit, you should not worry as they had to airlift anyway. I trust my coworkers as much as myself, and in a situation like this, depending on the severity of the wounds, I may have a deer in the headlights trance upon recognition of the person/family member and any emotional attachment may waste time, so perhaps it was better for you not to be there. Dont take offense, you never know.

Elmo56

Premium Subscriber
There is a website... its policescanner.net...click on the link to pick a scanner for you and fill out the info and it will suggest a scanner for your area and tell you if you need digital,analog or what.Sorry to hear about those deaths its sad...i will pray for you and your doughter to cope well with the loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.