parametric equalizer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beejay

Premium Subscriber
One of my problems with the MARCS system is being subjected to dispatchers who are less than trained in radio transmitting protocol ! Simple little things such as not dropping their voice at the end of a sentence,speaking clearly and not to fast etc. Many of the female voices have more of a tendency to blend into the background racket also.! It would seem as tho some sound baffleing might help that a bit..

Now before anyone gets their shorts in a tork be advised that I have a daughter who has been a dispatcher for some time ! I admire ANYONE who is willing to take dispatcher jobs in the turmoil
of today !!

Question-- has anyone tried or can give any thoughts to using a para-metric equalizer with a scanner ?
In my location I have very little problem withe mobiles but the dispatchers are what I would like to to try to filter out the background racket on.

I run 2 gre-600's and a gre-500 , all with the attenuator "on". 600's are on both indoor and outdoor antennas. 500 uses different antennas for different freq's as needed.

I have one of the first " clear voice " units but it is not that much of an improvement !

thanks for reading,

beejay

Last edited by a moderator:

jackj

I have the same problem with dispatchers speaking too fast and slurring their words. Also background noise can be a problem. It seems that the dispatchers don't want to wear headset type mics so the console's mic gain is set too high in an effort to bring their voices up to the proper level. This tends to bring background noise up and covers the dispatcher voice. This isn't a problem for the mobile most of the time as the officer can read the dispatch info on his Mobile Data Terminal but it is a problem for officers who aren't in a car. Proper training is needed as well as supervisors who insist on dispatchers using proper procedures. But don't hold your breath waiting for improvements.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The problem isn't just confined to dispatchers; officers and firefighters on the street do it too, all the time.

Any kind of equalizer won't help too much; all it will do is emphasize or de-emphasize certain bands of audio frequencies, so unless your problem is only in a specific range of audio frequencies it won't help.

You should consider trying the Digital AGC setting; I've found that it does help smoothing out those audio peaks and valleys. Nothing is perfect, but it does help.

Status
Not open for further replies.