Park Cities Dallas New Radio System News

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Fix For HP, UP Radio Troubles Forthcoming
Emergency radios are a lifeline for first responders.

That being the case, authorities with the town of Highland Park and the city of University Park will soon get a big assist in the form of replacing their outdated public safety radio systems.

“It was a partnership with University Park and a big part of that was interoperability,” Highland Park Department of Public Safety public information officer Lance Koppa said of the project. “We share borders, we very frequently work together, train together, so having a radio system that allows us to talk back and forth seamlessly is important.”

The joint public safety radio system project will replace both the city’s and town’s outdated systems and will comply with current P25 standards. Meeting P25 digital communications standards allow interoperable communications with surrounding public safety agencies during large-scale disasters and mutual aid response. The city council and town council approved the necessary interlocal agreements and contracts necessary for the project last summer.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Fix For HP, UP Radio Troubles Forthcoming
Emergency radios are a lifeline for first responders.

That being the case, authorities with the town of Highland Park and the city of University Park will soon get a big assist in the form of replacing their outdated public safety radio systems.

“It was a partnership with University Park and a big part of that was interoperability,” Highland Park Department of Public Safety public information officer Lance Koppa said of the project. “We share borders, we very frequently work together, train together, so having a radio system that allows us to talk back and forth seamlessly is important.”

The joint public safety radio system project will replace both the city’s and town’s outdated systems and will comply with current P25 standards. Meeting P25 digital communications standards allow interoperable communications with surrounding public safety agencies during large-scale disasters and mutual aid response. The city council and town council approved the necessary interlocal agreements and contracts necessary for the project last summer.

Lindsay,
There have been several threads on this, including this one where new licenses were obtained:

And in this one, a timeline was posted:

There were council meeting minutes from June 2019 where the interlocal agreements between the two Park Cities, Garland, and Mesquite were approved.

But the odd thing is noted in the first thread above is that while the licenses have been issued, they only have the emission codes for DMR, not P25. So far, that has not changed.

And in none of these discussions have I seen anything noting that SMU will participate in the switch. SMU & University Park work together quite a bit, both using conventional 800MHz licenses. Logical, I would think that SMU would desire access to the Park Cities system for incidents where UP & SMU police both respond.

I have already set up a 'dummy' system for the frequencies issued to Highland & University Park and periodically scan it to see if anything shows up. So far, nothing. But I should be in range for these, since I'm in central Oak Cliff.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Steve if or when you need help monitoring that let me know. I live in old east dallas not far from Baylor hospital.
I can pick them up now however i dont monitor them on a regular basis.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I should be able to hear them. I can hear their current DMR system without problems. (I’m not far from Kiest Park.) if I can’t get a good enough signal I’ll shoot you a message.

If you have time, take a whack at the Seagoville site for GMRS. I see occasional transmissions logged in ProScsn from the new site. The site is not in the database right now, but I created the site in Sentinel using the frequencies on the FCC license.

I suspect it’s mostly testing, but at times I do get a control channel indication, though not strong enough to analyze. No idea if they have put up their planned new antenna, or they have the transmissions focused sharply on their city.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
about 6 months ago i did have 1-2 on the GMRS site in my G4 and it worked. Then they made a system change and it showed out of range. I also tested with my KNG2-P800 and same thing. But things could have changed again since then.
Ill be visiting my parents in Mesquite this weekend so ill throw in the 1-2 site in both my devices and test again.

Ill message you direct since this isnt part of the current discussion.

Last edited:

Texoma24

I had always heard they were just "band-aiding" the current system until Dallas came online with the BIG system. Guess they're tired of waiting?