• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Part 95 certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQOQ867

Premium Subscriber
I would like to be able to use Motorola trbo radios on GMRS or the new vertex vdx-720 in analog. I don't think they are part 95 certified. (if they are please let me know!) how hard would it be to get them part 95 certified if that's even possible?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If a radio isn't already certified by the manufacturer, I'm not exactly sure how you would go about doing it. Not that it would be impossible, just not sure of the steps.

To do it, the radio has to be checked out by an approved test facility, not just any old shop with a service monitor. There are a number of tests that need to be done that require expensive and specialized test equipment. It's not something you'll likely want to do, as it's going to be expensive.

If you can post the FCC ID number from the back of the radio(s), we can assist you in looking them up to see what they are certified for.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I took a quick look at some of the MotoTrbo UHF models, and none of them had a part 95 certification, so out of luck there. Haven't been able to find the FCC ID for the Vertex model yet.

willgrah

I think one of the few manufacturers that actually go all the way to get Part 95 acceptance is Ritron. If you haven't already made your purchase the SLX series are quality PC programmable HT's with a wide frequency range. Worth a look. I love mine and love to be able to plug them into the PC to make whatever changes I want in minutes.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Icom portables, at least up until a couple of years ago, had Part 95 certification on the UHF models. I think my knowledge on those stopped around the F-4TR time, so it's a bit dated. Mobile UHF radios didn't have the certifications, however.

willgrah

The Ritrons like the RPM450 and the newer RPM460 have the Part 95 acceptance. They are both PC programmable and field programmable. Both are 25 Watt mobiles.

n1das

I use Kenwood NEXEDGE NX-300 digital portables on GMRS, in analog mode. I've been playing with NDXN digital mode on the 440 ham band.

Kenwood's NEXEDGE line of digital portables, mobiles, and NXR series repeaters specifically have Part 95 type acceptance, in addition to Part 90. It appears to be Kenwood's company policy, i.e., make the radio marketable in every radio service the frequency range covers. Makes sense. Motorola and others didn't bother to check the Part 95 box on FCC Form 730 when applying for type acceptance, most likely because it pertains to where they intend to market the radio. Kenwood's approach may be somewhat of a leftover from the old days where you had to use Part 90 radios on GMRS because there weren't any cheap bubble pack radios around at the time.

Kenwood is an excellent choice for good Part 90 radios that specifically have Part 95 type acceptance in addition to Part 90.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.