• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Part 95 GMRS radio list

NAVSEABE

I'm not clear on what you are describing. Are you saying that it works fine as an in-band repeater or that it works fine as a cross-band repeater?
Guess the type cert. is a real issue. Will have to consider dumping the TYT's.
Selective GMRS channels refer to the 5watt and 50 watt GMRS channels.

Hans13

Guess the type cert. is a real issue. Will have to consider dumping the TYT's.
Selective GMRS channels refer to the 5watt and 50 watt GMRS channels.
But, are you referring to in-band repeating or cross-band repeating? I still am confused about your original statement.

ETA: Here is the quote I am confused about... "Ha! The TYT UV8000E works just fine as a repeater on "Selective" GMRS channels."

NAVSEABE

But, are you referring to in-band repeating or cross-band repeating? I still am confused about your original statement.

ETA: Here is the quote I am confused about... "Ha! The TYT UV8000E works just fine as a repeater on "Selective" GMRS channels."
Sorry. The relay signal works fine on GMRS channels.

Hans13

Sorry. The relay signal works fine on GMRS channels.
I'm not trying to be obtuse. I seriously don't know what you mean. Were you using the TYT UV8000E as a repeater and it worked fine; in-band or cross band? Relay signal means nothing to me in this context.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Just a reminder that this thread is intended to list Part 95-certified GMRS radios. Let's leave the debates about non-certified radios for other threads.

kc8ldo

Premium Subscriber
I'm seeing this thread a bit late. Another older Kenwood Part 95A radio is the TK-370G-1.

With a documented, in service manual internal hardware mod, and enabled in the software, the radio can be front panel programed. I've got several of these radios and they will also work out of band, at least down to around 440 MHz. I have a bunch of Ham 70cm repeaters programmed in along with GMRS stuff. Works fine and convient as a dual service radio.

The front panel programming looks like it's a real pain so I never modified any of mine, so there is no question about the FCC certification being voided.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
If someone is going to be serious about GMRS I would hope they would be serious about the radios they purchase to use on GMRS and not buy junk.
Like the XPR3500e. It's expensive but well made. I'd rather use that than a rebadged and limited UV-82, but that radio that's rebadged is the only one that's type certified.
Where I am, no one seems to care. Guys get on with anything from Baofeng to Icom, AnyTone, and Motorola. If your radio is causing problems, other GMRS operators will just tell you.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I'm seeing this thread a bit late. Another older Kenwood Part 95A radio is the TK-370G-1.

With a documented, in service manual internal hardware mod, and enabled in the software, the radio can be front panel programed. I've got several of these radios and they will also work out of band, at least down to around 440 MHz. I have a bunch of Ham 70cm repeaters programmed in along with GMRS stuff. Works fine and convient as a dual service radio.

The front panel programming looks like it's a real pain so I never modified any of mine, so there is no question about the FCC certification being voided.
Since it predates the rule changes in 2017 it is grandfathered for GMRS. good find.
FCC parts 22, 74, 80, 90, 95
FCC ID ALH29473110

Does wide band as intended for GMRS and also narrow band if you "must" talk to the Midland or Baofeng crowd.

450-470 MHz4 Watts2.5ppm16K0F3E22, 74, 80, 90, 95A

450-470 MHz4 Watts2.5ppm11K0F3E22, 74, 90.210, 95A

AK9R

Super Moderator
Would the GMRS grandfather clause also apply to a Yaesu FT-90R FCCID K66FT-90R?
I'm not aware of any grandfather clause regarding FCC grants of equipment authorization for GMRS radios.

The Kenwood TK-370G mentioned above was granted an FCC equipment authorization for Part 95A in October 1999. Since then, Part 95 was reorganized and GMRS is now in Part 95E instead of Part 95A. Since the TK-370G had a valid equipment authorization before the reorganization, it still has one.

The Yaesu FT-90 has an equipment authorization for Part 15B. This is typical for amateur transceivers. Among the various clauses in Part 15B is the stipulation that scanning radios can't receive cellular phone frequencies. The FT-90 has never had a GMRS authorization and never will unless Yaesu submits it to the FCC requesting that authorization. And, that's not likely.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately there seems to be a growing trend among GMRS groups that modified ham gear are magically OK for use on GMRS frequencies. The leaders of one GMRS group in my state have been pushing the Icom IC-2730 as the radio to get for GMRS. To suggest to them that it isn't acceptable only gets you laughed at and told that the FCC doesn't care and that we shouldn't either. Whether it works or not or whether the FCC will come fine them or not isn't the key factor; it's still not an accepted radio for GMRS according to the rules.

Back to what was asked, I'm also not aware of a 'grandfather' rule that somehow makes radios type accepted for GMRS when they never were.

Warus

I'm not aware of any grandfather clause regarding FCC grants of equipment authorization for GMRS radios.

The Kenwood TK-370G mentioned above was granted an FCC equipment authorization for Part 95A in October 1999. Since then, Part 95 was reorganized and GMRS is now in Part 95E instead of Part 95A. Since the TK-370G had a valid equipment authorization before the reorganization, it still has one.

The Yaesu FT-90 has an equipment authorization for Part 15B. This is typical for amateur transceivers. Among the various clauses in Part 15B is the stipulation that scanning radios can't receive cellular phone frequencies. The FT-90 has never had a GMRS authorization and never will unless Yaesu submits it to the FCC requesting that authorization. And, that's not likely.
Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Unfortunately there seems to be a growing trend among GMRS groups that modified ham gear are magically OK for use on GMRS frequencies. The leaders of one GMRS group in my state have been pushing the Icom IC-2730 as the radio to get for GMRS. To suggest to them that it isn't acceptable only gets you laughed at and told that the FCC doesn't care and that we shouldn't either. Whether it works or not or whether the FCC will come fine them or not isn't the key factor; it's still not an accepted radio for GMRS according to the rules.

I've run into similar things at work a few times.

Someone needs radios. Instead of asking the department that handles radios, they talk to their friend, random people on the internet, or "fly-by-nite communications inc." and buy a bunch of CCR's.
When they don't work right, they complain to me. I point out the problems with the low quality equipment, lack of type certification, licensing issues, various other FCC violations. In return I get "Well, the guy on the internet said it was OK and the FCC doesn't care".

Unfortunately, the internet has made everyone an 'expert'. There are far too many radio 'experts' out there that don't understand what they are doing and cover it up with "The FCC doesn't care.".

In other words, self proclaimed experts with zero professionalism, zero attention to detail, minimal skill.

Back to what was asked, I'm also not aware of a 'grandfather' rule that somehow makes radios type accepted for GMRS when they never were.

Because there isn't. Type acceptance is required on FRS, GMRS, MURS, etc. There is no grandfathered clause that permits the use of hacked amateur radios. And the FCC -does- care.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Unfortunately there seems to be a growing trend among GMRS groups that modified ham gear are magically OK for use on GMRS frequencies.
I've seen this phenomena in my area, too. Guys who spend thousands of dollars putting up high-quality, linked GMRS repeaters and guard the PL tones to those repeaters like they are gold seemingly don't care if users use non-FCC accepted radios. There seems to be no effort to educate users and encourage them to buy legitimate radios. As long as the repeaters owners can point to how many people use their infrastructure, their ego has been sufficiently stroked.

We have become a nation of scofflaws. I used to blame it on the federally-mandated 55 MPH speed limit from back in the 70s. Then, I learned about the Volstead Act. The problem runs deep.

merlin

I downloaded the .xls. too bad it is limited to 500 entries, and then for a given maker, you need to know your FCC ID for a given radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Unfortunately there seems to be a growing trend among GMRS groups that modified ham gear are magically OK for use on GMRS frequencies.

Not sure what the story is with this repeater, but it's an interesting read:
A self proclaimed GMRS/ARES repeater….

Of particular interest is this line:

"It is also open to FCC part 97 operators that do not have a GRMS license, those radio amateurs must register with us for an identifier under the license of the repeater owner."

Another group that doesn't understand the FCC rules for GMRS. But, it's an "anything goes" attitude for most.
Even if they were operating under a grandfathered GMRS business license, those licenses are not permitted to increase radio count as shown on the original license.

Would love to hear what the true story is behind that one.