• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Part 95 GMRS radio list

SCPD

QRT
Thought I would throw this out to the ones who are trying to stay compliant with the GMRS rules and do not want to pay the price on new radios,here is a list of a few I have used and are readily available used online.

Maxon SM 4450SC-16 channel 40 watt mobile with dual priority scan
Kenwood TK 805d-1 16 channel with scan and front panel program options
Midland 70-630b 30 watt 80 ch with a small control head with a trunk mount transceiver

Here are a few hand held radios I know of and used for several years.

Maxon SP-2850 16ch 5 watt with scan
ICOM F-IC F221 16 channel 4 watt with scan and paging options

I know the list is small but there a few more,the ones I listed from experience and found those to be great radios which you can find at a cheap price on eBay for pennies on the dollar.Hope this helps on the newbies who are looking to get the full benefits of GMRS...William

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I'll add the Motorola M1225 mobile to the list. Both the 4 channel and the 20-24 channel models are FCC type accepted for GMRS use. They are currently selling for around $125 or a bit more.

nd5y

Instead of relying on people who may or may not know what the hell they are doing to post stuff that may or may not be accurate, you can go to the FCC OET search page at https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

Under Application Information: Application Status: select Grant Issued
Under Equipment Information: Rule Parts (up to three): select 95A
Under Formatting Options: Show results in You can select HTML to view it on the web site
or select Microsoft Excel or XML to generate a spread sheet. I haven't tried those so I don't know how they work.

Doing that returned 829 radios that are certified for GMRS (Part 95A).

Darth_vader

I'll second that. Maintaining an exhaustive list of compliant rigs is an undertaking that's probably better left to the F¢¢. Perhaps WayneH or somebody can put that URL and the instructions in a sticky on this forum.

On the other hand, the F¢¢ list would probably be useful information to have in the database or the wiki, if it isn't there already. Too bad they use PUT instead of GET; it'd sure be nice to be able to post a direct URL to that particular search instead of doing it manually every time, but I guess that's just the way it is.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Instead of relying on people who may or may not know what the hell they are doing to post stuff that may or may not be accurate, you can go to the FCC OET search page at https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm
Thanks. That's a great way to encourage folks to participate and offer valid information.

I posted those two radios because I already verified them through the FCC's OET search.

If you really feel that us common folk don't have anything useful to contribute, just say so. I'll be glad to go someplace where my 45 years of knowledge and experience in the radio and public safety industry is welcome.

Darth_vader

I think he meant that in general, not referring specifically to one particular user. Taking it personally accomplishes nothing.

While I don't exactly agree with his particular choice of words on a forum of this nature, I don't doubt that there are a lot of people on this server who would (and probably do) fall into that category and post false or inaccurate information without verifying it first.

stmills

I have verified the following radios as 95a accepted via the FCC website:
Kenwood Tk3140
Icom F40GT
Motorola Radius M100 2 ch uhf not sure about the m208 or 216

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

dksac2

The Kenwood TK-840-1 is part 95A legal, not sure what the part A means, but I've been told it's legal.

73's John

SCPD

QRT
I'll add the Motorola M1225 mobile to the list. Both the 4 channel and the 20-24 channel models are FCC type accepted for GMRS use. They are currently selling for around $125 or a bit more.

I agree with you on the M1225 forgot about those and for the other comment I checked the radios I listed thoroughly on the FCC website before posting Part 95 compliance.

SCPD

QRT

Under Application Information: Application Status: select Grant Issued
Under Equipment Information: Rule Parts (up to three): select 95A
Under Formatting Options: Show results in You can select HTML to view it on the web site
or select Microsoft Excel or XML to generate a spread sheet. I haven't tried those so I don't know how they work.

Doing that returned 829 radios that are certified for GMRS (Part 95A).

I personally researched all the radios I listed as FCC Part 95 certified from the FCC website.
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

SCPD

QRT
Does it normaly take a while before the search results show up? Because I'm not getting anything from the FCC. My browser says waiting for apps.fcc.gov...

It should show up when you type it in,sometimes the site is slow but not to bad.

willgrah

I can save someone a bit of work, Any Ritron that transmits 450-470 is Part 95 Accepted. Repeaters, mobile and Ht's. They get it on everything. I use alot of RPM450 25 Watt Mobiles, RTX450 5 Watt Ht's, SST450 2 Watt Ht's and my Repeater is a RRX450 30 Watt. All type accepted.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I still can't get the FCC page to work. I tried my regular Comcast connection and a VPN and I got nothing!

I'm looking for a good at least 4 watt portable Kenwood that is GMRS part 95a certified. Cheaper the better and that goes for the programing software.

Or! If someone could save the FCC page to HTML for me with all the part 95a radios that would be great.

Jaxco

I hope more folks will post good radios that they, themselves have confirmed and not a fried of a cousin of a chick's dad they spoke to on facebook.

The FCC website is unreasonably klunky and bloated - but why should it be different from the rest of the government??? LOL

I have a GMRS and Amateur license, I'd love to see lists like this of verified LEGAL model numbers, the whole GMRS/MURS spectrum is muddled in confusion from the regulations. I hate even going there to get my FRN or callsigns it is so bad.

I want these for my family, who have ZERO interest in Amateur radio but love outdoor activities.

Don't discourage good guys from sharing accurate data, if they indeed have it.