• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Part 95 GMRS radio list

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm looking for a good at least 4 watt portable Kenwood that is GMRS part 95a certified. Cheaper the better and that goes for the programing software.

TK-390 has 95a grant. 160 channels, and they can be set up for front panel programming. I have the VHF version, the 290, and they are nice radios. They are on e-Bay fairly often.

willgrah

I can save someone a bit of work, Any Ritron that transmits 450-470 is Part 95 Accepted. Repeaters, mobile and Ht's. They get it on everything. I use alot of RPM450 25 Watt Mobiles, RTX450 5 Watt Ht's, SST450 2 Watt Ht's and my Repeater is a RRX450 30 Watt. All type accepted.

I will add to that the SLX-400 HT's

Starion1

GMRS activity has been increasing in the Philadelphia, South Jersey and Northern Delaware area lately.
Many repeaters have been placed on-the-air over the past 2 years.

A great way to obtain equipment is via the auctions sites and looking into dealer surplus and rental returns. Since the mandate and migration toward narrow banding, many businesses and public safety radios have been swapped out for newer radio models. The surplus/used market is plentiful.

I've received some great deals on some of the Kenwood models. Good performers and very easy to program. Parts availability is strong too!

These models are personally verified to be Part 95A type accepted for use on GMRS.

Mobile ---
TK-860 32 Channels Numeric Display Only 1-32 (Wide/Narrow)
TK-860G 128 Channel Alpha-Numeric Display (Wide/Narrow)
TK-862G 8 Channel Numeric Only (Wide/Narrow)

Portable ---
TK-360G 8 Channel (Wide/Narrow)
TK-372G 32 Channel (Can direct software to write to radio as if it were a 128 channel version)
Alpha-Numeric Display (Wide/Narrow)
TK-370G 128 Channel Alpha-Numeric Display (Wide/Narrow)

jneale

I just picked a couple of Motorola Radius GM300s from a local agency and they are UHF I was just trying to figure out if they were GMRS certified. Thanks for any help in advance.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I am having some trouble with the FCC site. Does anyone know if the Motorola Radius GM300 is GMRS certified?
And the FCC ID number for the UHF GM300 is? Without that, it's much more difficult to look up the grant info.

If you have the FCC ID, go to this link and enter the ID exactly as they request it: OET -- FCC ID Search When you get a response from the website, click on the Grant to display it. You will see the FCC Parts under which the radio is certified and the emission types allowed.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
And the FCC ID number for the UHF GM300 is? Without that, it's much more difficult to look up the grant info.

If you have the FCC ID, go to this link and enter the ID exactly as they request it: OET -- FCC ID Search When you get a response from the website, click on the Grant to display it. You will see the FCC Parts under which the radio is certified and the emission types allowed.
OK, I was bored and thought I'd solve this puzzle myself. Since I don't know the FCC ID for the radio, I did some googling and found a lot of discussion, but no FCC ID. Then I went to eBay and searched for UHF GM300 and started looking at the auctions. About 1 in 10 actually shows the sticker on the bottom of the radio. So in just a few quick minutes, I now have the FCC ID for the UHF GM300. It is ABZ99FT4033. Pumping that into the FCC OET search, we quickly find that it is only certificated for Parts 22, 74, and 90 with several different emission types of 16K0 or 11K0.

So the answer is, no, the GM300 is not FCC Type Accepted for GMRS use.

There's a hint buried in here for some of you!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
GMRS activity has been increasing in the Philadelphia, South Jersey and Northern Delaware area lately.
Many repeaters have been placed on-the-air over the past 2 years.

A great way to obtain equipment is via the auctions sites and looking into dealer surplus and rental returns. Since the mandate and migration toward narrow banding, many businesses and public safety radios have been swapped out for newer radio models. The surplus/used market is plentiful.

I've received some great deals on some of the Kenwood models. Good performers and very easy to program. Parts availability is strong too!

These models are personally verified to be Part 95A type accepted for use on GMRS.

Mobile ---
TK-860 32 Channels Numeric Display Only 1-32 (Wide/Narrow)
TK-860G 128 Channel Alpha-Numeric Display (Wide/Narrow)
TK-862G 8 Channel Numeric Only (Wide/Narrow)

Portable ---
TK-360G 8 Channel (Wide/Narrow)
TK-372G 32 Channel (Can direct software to write to radio as if it were a 128 channel version)
Alpha-Numeric Display (Wide/Narrow)
TK-370G 128 Channel Alpha-Numeric Display (Wide/Narrow)

you can add the TK805D and TK350 to the list of 95A compliant radios also.

n9zas

Elfnetdesigns

A small listing of radio models I have with GMRS frequencies in them. Please note that I have 8 commercial licenses so I have those frequencies in the radios also.
I am no longer using the wideband radios listed on my commercial frequencies and they will be retired very soon completely and recycled.

Handhelds:
Maxon: SP120, 130, 140, SL-70, SP4000 series
Motorola: SP10, SP50, SP50+, GP300*, GP350, HT1000*, MT2000*, MTS2000, P1225, HT750, HT1250, HT1550, APX series, Mag-One, HT600, P200, MT1000
Kenwood: TK350, 360, 370 and 370G series
Vertex: VX160, 180, 210
Ritron: Patriot Series
Wouxun KG-UV1p
Baofeng: BF888s
HYT: TC500 and 600 series
FDC: FD98
Just about all of the Chinese breed radios that are classified for commercial usage

Mobiles:
Motorola: Maxtrac 300, Radius Sm50, SM120, M100, M120*, M130*, GM300*, M1225, CDM750, CDM1250, PM400, Spectra Low Power*
Maxon: SM4000 series
Kenwood: TK860 and TK860G series

Repeaters:
Motorola MSF-5000, MSR-2000*, MTR 2000, XPR 8300
General Electric Mastr-II*, Mastr-III
Kenwood: Nexedge NXR810
Vertex: VX7000 series

* = Certain types are accepted to be legal but depends on the ID

Last edited:

Elfnetdesigns

I'll add the Motorola M1225 mobile to the list. Both the 4 channel and the 20-24 channel models are FCC type accepted for GMRS use. They are currently selling for around $125 or a bit more.

This "was" a good solid radio in its time but today you may want to get a PM-400 Motorola which is the same form factor and sell on ebay for $70 with mic, wiring, and mounting hardware. We ordered 75 of these little radio for the local school board buses they bought over this past summer and they are working out great. They are 25 watts in UHF but they do the MDC encode and decode which is what we needed for the school board job to match their other radios.

N2MRG

There sure are a lot of different radios. I'm looking for cheap and easy to program mobile (I am assuming it's pretty easy to program with a proper cable with the Kenwoods?). A word display rather than frequency or channel number would be a plus. It would be nice if I could do 440mhz on the same radio as well.

My head is kind of spinning trying to research all the different part 95 radios haha.

Here's a pair for $85 (each) that seem decent - thoughts (I already checked, it is part 95 type accepted)?
Kenwood TK 880 1 Ver 2 0 UHF Two Way Mobile Radio 450 490 MHz w Mic Tested | eBay

I know you can start getting dinged $15-20 for a mic, $15-20 for a bracket, $15-20 for a power cable, so it all adds up. If those are included it's pretty good.

BTW, There seem to be a ton of tk-880s on ebay which should drive price per unit down.
Another note - the 880-H model is 40 watts rather than 25.

Last edited:

N4KVE

I have one of the 880's. It is an excellent radio, & I think I paid $60 for it a few years ago. Programs with Windows unlike the older 840 which needs Dos. But since it does wide, & narrow band, the price isn't as low as wide only radios. But be warned, it's not meant for rag chewing. The heat sink gets warm very quickly, so I run a fan on mine. It was designed for a plumber, or electrician to say what's the location of my next stop. Not long winded transmissions. Otherwise, a great radio, & the sw to program is easy to find. Those radios shown in the ad have the upgraded 2.0 fw. Mine does not, & I don't know what the improvement does, as I don't miss any features in the radio. Maybe someone else knows.

N2MRG

Cool thanks. I am not sure what the 2.0 firmware does either.

Short duty cycle is fine.

I might spring for the 40 watt "H" model as I'll most likely be doing simplex operations.

N4KVE

Cool thanks. I am not sure what the 2.0 firmware does either.
I asked about this in the Kenwood section. The reply was the 2.0 had improvements if you needed Fleetsync. Since I don't use that feature, there is no difference to me. Since the 840, & 880 are 450-490 radios, they are not spec'd for 440-450. However, all my 840's work great there, but the 880 needed to be tuned to work there, should you need the same radio for ham, & GMRS.

RandyKnowles

I have found searching the FCC OET Certification Database to be indeed erratic and unpredictable. I suggest the following:

1) Search both Part 95 and Part 95A. Older equipment before the creation of FRS was just listed as Part 95 in almost all cases. Even some newer equipment is listed this way. Don't search both parts at the same time, usually this returned no results for me. I had to do 2 searches separately, one for 95 and another search for 95A.

2) To cut down the number of results you can use Equipment Class: TNB. This should return only mobile and base (including repeater) equipment. Hopefully this eliminates cheap combination FRS/GMRS handheld radios (type TNE, TNF, TNT) with low power. Presumably entites that make better quality full fledged mobile and base equipment will also have better quality portables, as well.

3) As of March 21, 2015, searching this way returned 1,049 results for Part 95 and 111 for 95A.

4) The maximum numbers of lines in HTML format is 500. I could not get Excel or XML to work.

5) If you get no results, just redo your search and try again. Apparently the more heavy the use of the database the more it messes up :)

RandyKnowles

My Tait Orca portables are CONFIRMED Certified for GMRS. FCC ID = CASTEL0015. They do all sorts of selective calling, including my favorite, 5-tone :)

Randy Knowles, KAA 8142