• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Part 95 GMRS radio list

n1das

Add to list:
Kenwood NEXEDGE NX-300 handheld
Kenwood TK-3140 handheld
Kenwood TK-3160 handheld
Kenwood TK-3170 handheld
Kenwood TK-3101 handheld
Kenwood TKR-820 repeater
Kenwood TKR-850 repeater
Kenwood NEXEDGE NXR-800 repeater (nice 5W 1U package for driving an external PA)

These are radios I've owned before and have looked up their FCC ID in the past.

amocjr

Are there any commercially-available Part 95A mobile GMRS transceivers?

I have perused this thread and searched the FCC's equipment authorization database myself, and it does not appear that there are any GMRS-authorized, mobile, repeater-capable, transceivers, with 16 memories or more, and more than 5 watts output, currently available commercially (new, from the manufacturer or distributor) in the US.

I thought the Kenwood TK-8302HU might be the exception, but it appears to be available only used on eBay.

In fact, with the exception of that and another Kenwood model, all the final action dates in the database are earlier than 2010, most of them being 2006 or earlier, indicating that it has been a long time since a mobile transceiver has received approval for GMRS.

Forgive me if I missed it, but am I wrong?

Thanks,
Tony

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have perused this thread and searched the FCC's equipment authorization database myself, and it does not appear that there are any GMRS-authorized, mobile, repeater-capable, transceivers, with 16 memories or more, and more than 5 watts output, currently available commercially (new, from the manufacturer or distributor) in the US.

I thought the Kenwood TK-8302HU might be the exception, but it appears to be available only used on eBay.

In fact, with the exception of that and another Kenwood model, all the final action dates in the database are earlier than 2010, most of them being 2006 or earlier, indicating that it has been a long time since a mobile transceiver has received approval for GMRS.

Thanks,
Tony
. Maxon used to market a Gmrs talkie, specifically designed for Gmrs, Model; 210+3. It was 5 watts and was repeater capable with a slip on rechargeable battery. It looked a lot like the radio shack Htx-202's. I now wish I would have kept the one I had. :( 73, n9zas

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
TecNet purchased the assets of Maxon, but none of their current products are 95A certified. I guess there's just not enough of a market to justify the expense of additional certification. :(

The database at the FCC shows:
1118 results were found that match the search criteria:
Rule Part Exact Match: Selected First Rule Part: 95A
but none of them are new equipment as far as I can find.

bharvey2

I always wondered what became of the Maxon company. I've got a number of Maxon SM4450s and SP2850s that are programmed up for GMRS. They're built like tanks. The programming is a pain now and the outer sheathing on the mic cords is deteriorating. Otherwise, they are still good radios.

toastycookies

Every LMR (part 90) Kenwood UHF radio i have owned has also been Part 95 type accepted.

Just looked up the NX-800 and it is Part 95.

If you want I can look up more, I am sure there are many others if not all their UHF radios that are Part 95a.

There are many options from the Kenwood line for you. (yes, I am a kenwood fanboi.)

-chris

Thanks,
Tony

nd5y

The TERA TR-505 is Part 95A Certified, at least for now. This radio is likely being replaced with one that can't be reprogrammed as a dual-band, but for now, it indeed has the FCC ID: 2ACK8TR505D :)
There are three identical looking radios with three different FCC IDs:
2ACK8TR500 is VHF/UHF Part 90
2ACK8TR505D is MURS/GMRS Part 95
2ACK8TR505 is GMRS only Part 95
I don't know if they all have the exact same hardware.

K6LED

There are three identical looking radios with three different FCC IDs:
2ACK8TR500 is VHF/UHF Part 90
2ACK8TR505D is MURS/GMRS Part 95
2ACK8TR505 is GMRS only Part 95
I don't know if they all have the exact same hardware.

I think I explained this in another related forum, but the 2ACK8TR505 ID was for the GMRS/MURS radio, but was a 1st "botched" submission. I'm not sure why that ID is still active, but it's not used. The 2ACK8TR505D is the current Part95A/J ID for the GMRS/MURS radio. The 2ACK8TR500 is for the commercial version of the same radio, which just has a different faceplate, manual & factory programming. :)

They also make a TR-590, which is also a commercial radio, but has a keypad and 200 channels, so when "unlocked," makes for a nice ham HT.

K2RNI

Hello forum,
Anyone know of a cheap bubble pack pair of radios that can do PL tones? I have a 20 dollar set of CX112 Cobras I got at Walmart and their great but no PL tone capability. No waterproofing or "50 mile range" needed I just use these for short distance onsite talkaround when needed. Just need another cheap pair just like the CX112 but with PL tone capabilty if anyone knows any thank you.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hello forum,
Anyone know of a cheap bubble pack pair of radios that can do PL tones? I have a 20 dollar set of CX112 Cobras I got at Walmart and their great but no PL tone capability. No waterproofing or "50 mile range" needed I just use these for short distance onsite talkaround when needed. Just need another cheap pair just like the CX112 but with PL tone capabilty if anyone knows any thank you.
Just shop around a little. Pretty much all the bubble packs have Pl tones and even Dcs now. Some of the motorolas are even repeater capable. :wink: 73, n9zas

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Privacy codes = PL codes. Any bubble packs with privacy codes will do. With a tiny bit of googling you can find cross reference charts for all the major manufacturers codes.

timazon

FCC Certification - SM-4450SC

Dear Sir;
I can't find online any validation of Sm-4450SC Part 95 Certification; can you send me a link to see actual documentation of this? Thanks! Tim H.

bharvey2

Dear Sir;
I can't find online any validation of Sm-4450SC Part 95 Certification; can you send me a link to see actual documentation of this? Thanks! Tim H.

The FCC ID# for the Maxon SM4450SC is: F3JSM445C

You can enter that here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

The search results get you this:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearchResult.cfm?RequestTimeout=500

The page that lists which Part or Parts the radio is certified for is here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo..._id=+OHnIdkFXOc4w7rxog3FWQ==&fcc_id=F3JSM445C

OldEastSider

In the two years since the last post above Midland have introduced the MXT400 and MXT275 mobiles.

But have there been any Part 95 approved handhelds introduced since mid 2016? I can't find any.

It looks like the only serious contenders with full certification, decent power (~4w), and repeater capability are two older models: the Tera TR-505 and Btech GMRS V-1.

Is GMRS on the wane?

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am also looking for a current list of Part 95 compliant GMRS radios.

RFI-EMI-GUY

In the two years since the last post above Midland have introduced the MXT400 and MXT275 mobiles.

But have there been any Part 95 approved handhelds introduced since mid 2016? I can't find any.

It looks like the only serious contenders with full certification, decent power (~4w), and repeater capability are two older models: the Tera TR-505 and Btech GMRS V-1.

Is GMRS on the wane?

Using search tools on the FCC database, I found over 66 Part 95A MOBILE radios, mostly older models that are in the 25 to 45 watt range and will do 16K0F3E modulation. Kenwood shows the best prospects of radios that are good, inexpensive and easily programmed. Many of these radios are sold used by dealers for $150 or less including programming. Yaeusu/Vertex is a possibility, Tait also has many models that are part 95A. It would not be very hard for a manufacturer of a new radio to add part 95 to the certification process. Maybe an arm or two can be twisted at Icom or Kenwood.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Has anybody seen any other new GMRS Part 95 certified radios lately?