Part Numbers SP501 and IC408

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicerwizard

floydpink999999 said:
Cold in Toronto eh? We have 20C here in Victoria and 18C tomorrow (just rubbing it in hehehe)
Yeah, but we have trunking systems galore here. Simulcast, SmartZone, LTR, PassPort, EDACS, MPT1327, VHF, UHF, 800, 900, analog, digital, P25.

You've got what, that CREST system? So there. :)

slicerwizard

floydpink999999 said:
I have the Printed Circuit Board Repair and the High-Reliability Soldering Level II qualifications. If I was to replace IC 408 in my scanner, I would bring it to my place of work where I have access to a Pace Soldering Station and a microscope to inspect. Solder type: normal. Temperature setting: high enough to melt the solder but not too high to damage the component, use heat sinks.
Bah, you kids - in my day we carved our transistors out of wood.

If you have access to the equipment, by all means, use it. If I ever get around to replacing my amp, I'll just snip the eight legs with small side cutters, desolder them individually, clean up the pads a bit, pre-tin the new amp and settle each leg in with the fine tip on my Weller. It won't look like factory work, but it won't look ugly either. :)

slicerwizard

floydpink999999 said:
I find this easier to interpret since I'm a very visual person. I hope you don't mind too much for manipulating your data and I didn't know who to give credit to.
Visual is always good, but I hope you don't mind a couple of comments...

- I found the first graph to be the most interesting, but none of the events are labelled :(

- some of the later graphs zoom in on minor voltage variations that could be nothing more than measurement errors or CPU / RF circuit load variations

- the main graph does nicely show (if you know what you're looking at) the trend of the charging current (gradually dropping off, which suggests that it's a simple resistance-based circuit)

- the noisy period from 1130 to 1540: the scanner was probably sitting on a busy SmartZone system (with the volume down; might've been holding on the control channel or might've been scanning); the current variations probably represent processing load variations and/or the audio amp being switched on and off. Contrast that with the period from 0300 to 0530 - a fairly smooth line while the system was quiet.

So, I say thank you for having the patience to monitor these over a 14-hour period and posting the values that I charted.
I didn't do anything. I just hooked up my RatShack DMM; it has a serial link to do PC-based logging. That text file is just the output from the meter.

BCD396T Complete Charging Cycle

This is much better, IMO

Thanks for the tips and feedback.

Anabella M.

Attachments

• BCD396T Charging Cycle.jpg
    BCD396T Charging Cycle.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 161

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
slicerwizard said:
Bah, you kids - in my day we carved our transistors out of wood.

Things were much simpler when you could just go down to Radio Shack and buy your crystal growing kit.

Only took a short time before you had grown enough crystals to make a few transistors.

slicerwizard said:
just snip the eight legs with small side cutters, desolder them individually, clean up the pads a bit, pre-tin the new amp and settle each leg in with the fine tip on my Weller. It won't look like factory work, but it won't look ugly either.

This would give a heart attack to my PCBR II teacher hahahahahaah!!!

Seriously though, when the unit is closed back up and works good, no one is the wiser and you're right, like you said, "it won't look like factory work" but it works for you...

But for myself, I personally do care a great deal about the quality of any of my soldering jobs. The quality has to be as good or better than original and this is what I aim for each and every time, irregardless of the importance of the job. It is only a matter of habit and personal pride.

Nothing wrong with that...as a matter of fact, nothing wrong with your method either, to each its own, that's what I say.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge of that audio circuit and battery charging with me and I really enjoyed learning new stuff.

:)

Anabella M.

Status
Not open for further replies.