Part-time streaming from my Home PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETMegabyte

Currently I am broadcasting to RR LIve audio using ScannerCast. I am also using Windows Media Encoder to stream to a webpage. Can I do both with SC or do I still need to run both? I also have a Droid and would like to receive my streams without having to go through RR (no offense to RR).

I don't send to RR Live, but my usage of the program leads me to believe that you can at least do the RR Live and the Droid both from SC. ScannerCast's configuration allows for direct port connections, with an option to send stream to icecast. It's the icecast setup that connects it to RadioReference, so my understanding is that they are mutually exclusive... The only thing you may need Windows Media Encoder is to embed it in a webpage, as I don't know what's involved in doing that...

If you set up the "Server Port" in the "Config" tab to 2080, for instance, and also configured RR Live, then RR Live would get the feed, and you would be able to connect to it directly through port 2080, which you can set up your droid to do. Port forward 2080 to your scannercast machine, and set up your droid to connect to port 2080 on your internet ip.

And, a final feature request. I could have sworn I had already suggested it, but I can't find that suggestion, so here it is... I'd like to have username/password authentication on my direct feed. For some reason, even using an alternate out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere port, I keep getting connections from "rate-limited-proxy-##-##-##-##.google.com", which I'm led to believe is a google feedburner bot. They must have port scanned me and found an http response so now they parse it. I have no way to tell them to stop connecting to me, so I'd like to be able to put in my phone "http://user : pass @ ipaddress : port / stream.mp3"... Then bots wouldn't be able to connect, and if they do, then I can just change the username and password...

Last edited:

KC8SVG

Premium Subscriber
I have been using ScannerCast for private streaming for about a year and it is absolutely amazing. I too would like to see authentication for SC for the reasons listed above. Hats off to Peter for this amazing program and for sharing it with everyone. Does anyone know if there is a way to use authentication via Icecast that can be recognized by an Android phone? I have no problem setting up and using authentication with PC based media players, but I am looking for a way to require authentication for the stream which is compatible with mobile devices. Any ideas? Thanks.

simplec6

I have been using ScannerCast for private streaming for about a year and it is absolutely amazing. I too would like to see authentication for SC for the reasons listed above. Hats off to Peter for this amazing program and for sharing it with everyone. Does anyone know if there is a way to use authentication via Icecast that can be recognized by an Android phone? I have no problem setting up and using authentication with PC based media players, but I am looking for a way to require authentication for the stream which is compatible with mobile devices. Any ideas? Thanks.
I would also like to see this.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Glad people are using ScannerCast for direct connection, and not only sending feeds to RR. That was, in fact, the original design goal of the program.

Regarding authentication... I answered this same query from ETMegabyte in detail in another thread a while back -- ScannerCast originally DID have authentication by username and password, but I removed it because there's no standard mechanism for passing an encoded username and password in a URL from a web browser.

If enough people are seriously interested in this feature, I would consider adding it in a way that's unique to ScannerCast. For example, if your feed URL for direct connection is:

http://audio.scannercast.com:5700

For a connection that required authentication, I could require a URL like

http://audio.scannercast.com:5700/password

Of course, that password would be sent across the network "in the clear" (neither encoded nor encrypted). Would that be sufficient, do you think?

I'm willing to consider other mechanisms as well, so feel free to suggest. Just know that the old way of encoding a username and password in a URL was never supported universally and isn't even supported by IE anymore... so that's not an option.

Peter
K1PGV

simplec6

I think that's a great way to do it with /password after the port number! Any other way is fine with me as well.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Sorry, but that is not a "mechanism for passing an encoded username and password in a URL from a web broswer."

What that IS is a mechanism to allow a server to request a web broswer pop a dialog to initiate a credentials exchange.

Peter
K1PGV

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
In all fairness Peter, the latest version of every Web browser available currently supports basic authentication credentials in a URL:

Code:
http://username:password@www.example.com

PeterGV

K1PGV
In all fairness Peter, the latest version of every Web browser available currently supports basic authentication credentials in a URL:

I would be *very* pleased to hear that this is true. However, what of this MSFT KB article which says IE does not support this by default?

This is precisely the code that I had in ScannerCast and removed, because it didn't work predictably for me several browsers.

I also recall problems with basic credential caching -- Different browsers were caching the basic authentication credentials in different ways, and there didn't appear to be any uniform way to get them to purge those credentials.

If my info is out of date, I'd be excited to know that, because it WOULD sovle a problem for folks... and I'll add the code back to ScannerCast Full Edition.

Peter
K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.