• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Partitioning Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyboy

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know of any good, preferably free, partitioning software? Thanks

NightFox

If you have Windows XP then you have a partitioning tool already installed. I believe that it's in the system tools under the start menu but I could be wrong since I'm not on windows atm.

MacombMonitor

NightFox said:
If you have Windows XP then you have a partitioning tool already installed. I believe that it's in the system tools under the start menu but I could be wrong since I'm not on windows atm.
If he's partitioning a new drive, or free space on an existing drive, then yes. However, if he wants to change the size and number of partitions without loosing data, then he can not use the partitioning tool in Windows XP. As others have pointed out, he will need Partition Magic, or something equivalent.

If using Partition Magic, make sure your version is new enough to be fully compatible with Windows XP. Early versions are not, and will corrupt your drive. It is probably the best tool for the job.

cschmit

If you are partitioning a drive with data on it make sure it is BACKED UP!!! I have seen several unsucessful partitions with Partition Magic so make sure all your important stuff is backed up.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
there are some free Linux apps but I don't use Linux enough to suggest anything. I used to like Partition Magic but now it's not as good as it used to be. I like Acronis Disk Director 10. and yes BACK UP YOUR STUFF!!!! and do it to a media like DVD or CD or another hard drive that you will physically remove from the PC prior to doing anything.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

crazyboy

Premium Subscriber
For backing up I used Windows backup wizard and am going to put it on another computer on my network to another computer. Looks like i'm going to use Partition Magic. Thanks

bwhite

I'd go with Partition Magic unless you don't value your data.
If it is a pc you don't care much about or don't have data on you can be a bit more caviler about it since your risk is reduced.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
that's a version of Linux, correct? it probably comes with a free partition software like LILO or Grub. I would BACK UP EVERYTHING and try the install CD. if you just want to play with it, try VMWare and run it under Windows XP.

if you just want to play with Linux, there are a ton of other versions. all are a little different. there are live distros on CD. you could try these on your PC booting from the CD and it will leave your WinXP install untouched unless you do something to the drive from within Linux. you can find other Linux distros here:

http://distrowatch.com/

crazyboy

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it is a version of Linux. This one can run right off the cd but I would like to install it. It has partition software in it named Parted.

Status
Not open for further replies.