Passed my General - Now on to Amateur Extra: Recommend some Books, Videos, Study Tips?

KC1THE

I just passed my General Exam yesterday and feel I would like to now study for my Amateur Extra.

My typical approach for the Technician and General study, was to go through the Gordon West books*, then use the AARL books to go through the questions sequentially.

In addition, I used the flash cards and practice exams at HamExam.org, and also did the practice exams at eHam.net and HamRadioSchool.com.

Needless to say, the Extra material looks a bit daunting to me (although I felt that way with the Tech and General but now, not so much) and would appreciate other approaches and suggestions to study. I’m not sure if my standard approach will work with all the deeper technical material.

* I am going to seek out and ‘thank’ during field day next week - the Elmer I met during field day (last summer) who suggested the Gordon West books to me after I explained to him the difficulty I was having with the AARL Technician Book.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I used the "No Nonsense Extra Cless License Study Guide" from Amazon Kindle. It goes step by step through the sections of the question pools and teaches you theory rather than simply memorizing the questions. You need to have a basic grasp of algebra and be familiar with several formulas used in the questions. I already had an Advanced class license when I took Extra. Also had a First Class Radiotelephone license (no longer exists) so was very familiar with those formulas. Nevertheless, it is not that difficult and by studying you will pass.

Good luck!

_sundown_

Premium Subscriber
Yep. Gordos book and HRP. Actually try to learn what you read and avoid going through and "just"memorizing the question pool. Too many of those
operators on the air and it shows instantly.

KC1THE

Thanks for the Gordon West book recommendation. They didn’t let me down for my previous exams.

I will need to wait a bit to order until the 2024-2028 version is out. Amazon still has the 2020-2024 listed which is good till the end of June.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I used Ham Test Online to study for General. When I thought I was ready, I went to a VE session and took the General test. Passed it and they offered to let me take the Extra test. Passed it.

Then the learning began.

KC1THE

I used Ham Test Online to study for General. When I thought I was ready, I went to a VE session and took the General test. Passed it and they offered to let me take the Extra test. Passed it.

Then the learning began.
Congratulations!

The VE also offered the Extra test to me after I finished the General. I took it. Needless to say… …at least I got an idea of the questions and what to study for.

hjc4604

Check out this YouTube Channel W4EEY . He and his teaching partner have recorded the online classes they've don for all 3 license levels with handouts for each class session linked in each videos description. It's an excellent resource and it's free. The classes are based on the ARRL License Manuals which they cover in depth, showing you how to do the math and all the other stuff. Gary is a retired Voice of America Radio engineer. Dave Casler's (KE0G) videos are good to. I plunked down the money for Ham Radio Prep's course because it was like having electronics flashcards on my phone. It worked, I got 100% on my Extra exam last November. Good luck! 73 de KN4IEF.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I also used Ham Test Online to help me prep for my Extra test, but I also had years of experience as a General.

The Extra test is full of arcane, very technical (and somewhat worthless) questions. My experience with a variety of modes and bands as a General, plus real-world equipment servicing, mods, installs and antenna projects helped immensely. Dave Casler's (KE0OG) videos were also useful as were various online study guides.

I used the ARRL Extra book, too, but more for question review. I find ARRL's writing style and presentation to be numbingly boring. Gordon West's is considerably better.

Wavicle

I am prepared for the Extra test coming up on July 27. I used on-line sources including Ham Radio Prep and Ham Study (on-line and their App). They were both early in getting the new 2024-2028 materials available. I have also been using the ARRL 13th edition of the Extra Class License Manual and the 6th edition of the ARRL Extra Q&A - more on that resource in a second. I found using different materials helps by both seeing the materials in different formats and the style of presentation, which gives a broader view of the materials. After studying the materials I then transitioned to taking their practice test and added the ARRL practice tests. By using multiple sources of practice tests you should be seeing all of the questions in the new pool.

About the ARRL 6th Edition of the Extra Q&A: After using it a few weeks I have found at least 6 errors where they identify the wrong answer or in one case omitted key words in the multiple choice answers. So if anyone uses that resource be aware it has errors.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
About the ARRL 6th Edition of the Extra Q&A: After using it a few weeks I have found at least 6 errors where they identify the wrong answer or in one case omitted key words in the multiple choice answers.
Did you report those errors to the ARRL?