Passed TECH and GENERAL Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

brusso99

Just wanted to stop over and pass on what i learned and how i did it. Today I took the ham exam over in West Palm Beach, FL with the Lakeview Club, Very Very Nice people giving the test.

I passed the TECH and then they game me the General Exam. I had a great time. Very smooth..

My Preperation was simple..

1. I used QRZ Practice Tests:

QRZ.COM QRZ Ham Radio Practice Tests

2. I used a printed copy of:

http://w5yd.org.msstate.edu/new_site/files/Element3_Study_Guide.pdf

3. At night i played these pod casts on my iphone at bedtime..

Home of the Ham Radio Podclass - Get your first ham

4. On the way in the car i had my wife asking me questions from the pool.. When you can give the answers without hearing the choices your there..

the most i spent was half-hour - hour total a day in two sessions answering questions on qrz.com

Total Time from starting was less then a month. i may now start 30 min sessions for the extra.

I missed two questions on the tech, three on the general..

Good Luck to Anyone working on this.. Its a nice easy and enjoyable process..

Brett...

General Call Sign Pending.

Last edited:

N6RDC

Congrats! That's great, taking & passing both on one day...now you have the fun of buying gear and setting up a station....

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations! I'm in the process of studying for my Technician license myself and I am hoping to take the test later this month. Thanks for providing the links you did I hope they help me out as well as they did for you.

RadioDaze

Congratulations Brett!

If your wife knew how much money this new license of yours is going to cost over the long term, she probably would have driven home without you. What did you tell her? "Oh, it's just $15 for the exam. A bargain, really."

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Good Luck to Anyone working on this.. Its a nice easy and enjoyable process..

Brett...

General Call Sign Pending.

Congrats, Brett. I agree, a very enjoyable process. I wish more people would realize it can and is actually fun just going through the process of getting licensed, not to mention playing with a radio once you are able.

Mike

brusso99

thanks everyone for the kind words.. this whole hobby only costs $15 bucks right... wink..

i really would like to make a contact with the iss.

Brett

brusso99

ill just throw that 20million dollar ticket to the station on there also.... come on all i need now is a kenwood ts-2000, a yeasu vx-8dr and maybe somthing for the car.. and some satellite rotors.. she should have no problem with that.. lol

nexus

thanks everyone for the kind words.. this whole hobby only costs $15 bucks right... wink..

i really would like to make a contact with the iss.

Brett

Brett, all you'll need is a dual-band HT with at least 2 watts, a 5 watt model is even better (the Yaesu FT-60r works great for this) and a dual-band portable satellite yagi (I use the Arrow Antennas "Arrow II" $139 for the complete package) and you'll probably want a computer with tracking software on it like SatScape.

It's very easy to work the ISS, but you just have to catch them when they're on the air, or at free time. In the mean time you can use those items to work hams all over the country on the 3 primary FM "birds" satellites we have orbiting earth. AO-51, SO-50, and AO-27 freqs are at amsat.org.

Congratulations on passing and I'm sure you'll enjoy the hobby.

elk2370bruce

Welcopme to the international fraternity of amateur radio. You're gonna love it! When you get your vhf/uhf rig, and one of the nearby repeaters has IRLP, give me a call at node 4777 (e mail me first so I will be sure that I'm listening). Our club welcomes new and visiting hams from all over.

KC0KM

Good Job -- I got my Tech back in April, still working on my General (it is driving me nuts BTW -- I do not even come close to getting the math). I hope I get it soon.

JeremyB

What math problems are causing troubles, no doubt someone here knows a way to remember the equation/reasoning

Status
Not open for further replies.