Passive air band aircraft monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

questnz

I use to have simillar unit from Black Box not impressed at all, ver poor performance. Only thing suppose to be good about it that it cover whole air band and no tunning required, also you can hear multiple conversations in the same time, well this the theory anyway! Better get cheap scanner with "close call" eg Uniden 95, you get more value. Sorry didnt use Ramsey but the specs looks simillar. Try before you buy.

Chris

majoco

Stirrer
You have to admire the sales pitch of the "Black Box" receiver.....

"This radio is designed to receive all AM airband VHF transmissions within range"

....so is there a receiver designed to receive transmissions that are out of range......?

Where do I get one? :)

Cheers - Martin ZL2MC

questnz

Yep, it was written by Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck, it is a "Near Field Fommunication" receiver, you must sit NEAR airport controller to in control tower hear him. It is ironic that NFC (coming to your Cellphones or Smartphones from next year) have range about 4"

Chris

charlielinn

I'd like to try one "just for kicks" around the airfield..for curiosity sake, but damn sure wouldn't pay
that kind of price for it. five-ten bucks..maybe.

pathalogical

And look at what else they make GUITAR AMP - PERSONAL PRACTICE - PGA1 - SAYAL Hobbies Product Details - 204943 Darn things are nearly identical ! Now if I plug my guitar into the amplifier, solder some wires into the airband receiver then connect my discone to it, I should be able to provide in-flight serenades to passing aircraft ! Any request ???

EDIT - In the Final Caveat, good luck trying to get into the cockpit to speak with the pilot to show 'em an unkown electroninc thingy that isn't gonna interfere with navigational aids !!!!

Last edited:

DennyRB

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone used this receiver? If you have, would you relate your experiences with it.

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtfirstlook-ramseyair.pdf

I have used it (Ramsey Passsive Air Band Monitor) on a number of commercial flights -- put it in my shirt pocket, run Bose noise-cancelling 'phones so it looks like I "have" to be listening to music, and have never had a question. But I leave it in the pocket to avoid questions since it sure doesn't look like an iPod.

True, you don't have the readout of the frequency you're hearing, but since most pilots read back the frequency they are going to be going to for the next sector, you can build a log list that way. It seems to pick up all transmissions from the aircraft I'm in, unfortunately including ACARS. But, that's the nature of the beast. It's fun even tho you will hear only your own flight except when you're on final approach or on the ground at the airport, then you'll like get quite a mix if it's a large airport. If all you want to do is hear the transmissions from your flight, it definitely does the job.

Denny (KE9VG)

Status
Not open for further replies.