Passive multicoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
So I'm using an indoor antenna with my 536. I have my older 996XT I decided to use just for aircraft. Do I really need a powered multicoupler, or is the passive OK. Only doing two radios. TIA!

MDScanFan

A passive splitter (combiner) is fine provided the signals you are trying to receive are moderate to strong. If the signals you are trying to hear are already very weak, then a passive split would only make the signal that much weaker. I would try a passive one first and see what you think.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Technically, it does not make very weak signals weaker than any other signals (dB change is the same). But a combination of the signal level and noise of the receiver make make the signal-to-noise more of a communications problem. But I do agree, if only splitting to two receivers, trying a passive one first is a good recommendation.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Previously I was using one omni directional antenna and one yagi for 700-800MHz for two different scanners. All my antennas are in my home office that has a very high ceiling. I bought a Stridsberg MC202 passive 2-port multicoupler and put both scanners on the one omni and still have full signal bars on both scanners. That got rid of the antenna and some cable clutter.

1607220057317.png

Status
Not open for further replies.