Patch Cable / Pigtail

Status
Not open for further replies.

iang123

Premium Subscriber
I have a run of about 50' of LMR400 and I'm looking for a low loss flexible cable to go between it and a radio it would need to be about 10' long. Is there a cable as flexible as 58u with less loss. I would prefer to do it right the first time. Currently the run is for a scanner but I'm hoping to get my license soon and would be using it for TX as well.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
RG8x (or the lower-loss equivalant - LMR240) would be the next size up from RG58, but I'm not sure that with only 10' of coax there would be a significant difference in loss (assuming high-quality cables... not cheap stuff).

If your radio is a base/mobile type, the 8x-sized coax would be fine. But if your radio is a hand-held, you want to make sure that you don't put too much stress on the antenna connector by using a heavy, too-large cable. Sometimes, a very short, smaller-diameter jumper is needed to connect from the radio to the main coax.

John AC4JK

iang123

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the replies, I have LMR 240 but is about as flexible as a coat hanger. It would be going into a hand held either way. I use the scanner on a distant 800mhz system that just comes in with the antenna and 30' of rg58 so I was hoping to improve a bit. So how do I know if I'm looking at a quality piece of RG58u over a cheap import. The piece I have reads up RG58/u coaxial cable 50 ohm.

cpetraglia

If you are using LMR400 to get inside from the antenna, then a short (2-3 ft piece) of rg58 wont be a problem. Your last post says you have 30 ft of rg58 so I am not sure exactly what you have. I recommend the 400 from antenna to as close to the radio you can get. Then a short jumper of just about any flexible 50 ohm coax will work fine.

iang123

Premium Subscriber
Yes I have 50' Of LMR400 thats replacing the 30' piece of rg58. After the LMR 400 ends at the wall plate I need a 10' piece of something to get to the hand held radio and be flexible enough not to damage the radio. I was hoping there was something as flexible as rg58 but with less loss.

byndhlptom

Pigtail

If you can find the RG58 that has the multistrand center conductor (RG-58/A, RG-58/C ?), it is more flexible than the solid center .....

It's what we use for in house test cables....

$.02

ridgescan

LMR-195 or LMR-200 is the same size as RG-58 and a little less loss. I prefer LMR-240, which is the same size as RG-8X.
prcguy
I second the LMR240. I use it for feedlines and patches here. Most people don't even think about LMR240. Very good cable. They also make a flexible version with stranded copper inner conductor and softer jacket.

ridgescan

So it's not to stiff off the top of a handheld.
The regular LMR240 is pretty stiff as its inner conductor is solid copper and the hard outer jacket is the direct-bury kind. But the nice thing about it is if you're going to connect it to your handheld, which ever way you bend it at the radio it stays in that shape. Just don't bend it sharply. Otherwise, the LMR240 flex version is highly flexible. I would buy that one for your needs.

lmrtek

using coax designed for transmitting is a waste of money for receive only

if you use rg6 you can run it straight to the scanner and its a fraction of the price of 50 ohm coax which is designed for transmitters

cmdrwill

Genuine Times LMR240 Flex and the proper connectors. There is a co on Ebay that makes jumpers with the RG 142 or 400 type microwave coax, same size as RG58A/U.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
Given how dirt cheap foil (LMR-XXX) coax is these days I don't see why you wouldn't buy it.
Like if you are going to buy a RG-58 assembly the LMR-195 equivalent is nearly the same price. Weather you'll realize the performance increase depends on many factors but it's objectively better stuff so why not spec it since the price difference is nominal.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
Genuine Times LMR240 Flex and the proper connectors. There is a co on Ebay that makes jumpers with the RG 142 or 400 type microwave coax, same size as RG58A/U.

Unless you are in a multi-carrier/duplex application (repeater) don't bother with RG-142 or RG-400. High price and identical loss to standard RG-58.

Status
Not open for further replies.