• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Patching an NXDN channel into analog FM

766keith

The police agency I work for is currently switching from analog to NXDN. We operate on an analog channel that belongs to the local sheriff’s department which we have no control over. Where we are at we have extremely poor, almost non-existent reception. We decided that during the process of finding a solution, we would get ahead of the ball game and upgrade to digital. We have contracted with a local shop who has created a solution to patch us and our new digital system into the Sheriff’s analog system. The sales guy were working with can’t tell me the operational workings of this patch which their engineers have created. I’m hoping those who understand this type of thing can give me an explanation to better understand how this thing is going to work. All I know about it is we are getting a digital repeater that will work in conjunction to a TK-8180 to convert the digital to analog and vice versa. We will operate locally on a repeater pair of frequencies, it will be converted through the repeater/ 8180 setup and be sent out on the analog system. When dispatch talks back the pattern will be reversed. Thanks ahead of time. I have very limited knowledge of this stuff which I’m sure is evident.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Pretty simple to take audio in/out and Push To Talk/Carrier operated relay out of the individual radios and tie them together with a few connectors and some wire.

When the SO transmits on their system, the TK-8180 will close a relay that will trigger the transmit on the NXDN repeater and pass audio to your NXDN system.
When your agency transmits on your NXDN system, the NXDN repeater will do the same thing, trigger PTT on the TK-8180 and pass audio to the SO.

Shouldn't really be a problem if this is all implemented correctly.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
The guys in Knoxville are pretty knowledgeable on this as you're saying. They are part of my MR Group as well.