• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Patching Analog VHF Simplex to Trunked P25 for VFD Voice Paging

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully we can do that in the future. I'm told our dispatch center is not setup for paging over the TRS, and it sounds like they have no plans to do so.

We're going to leave things alone for now as for paging, but crossband the XTL1500 to rebroadcast over VHF so we can have radio traffic on our pagers again.
To the dispatcher, using the special TG, which on MPSCS are called PageGroups (PG), is just like using any other TG. The differences are on the system administration, moreso the network operations.

This is presuming the dispatchers can select more than one TG at a time, which most consoles & consolettes can do.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
So I do the exact same thing with our SAR Talkgroup. XTL1500 wired to a CM200 back to back. No interface box just cable. Its been on the air for 5 years with no issues. COR/RX audio out of XTL and into Mic High and PTT on CM200. For antenna the XTL is on a mag mount and the CM200 is on our DB208

So I tried this setup and it worked great.The only issue I ran into during testing was when the XTL powered on, it would not send its RX audio until the PTT was pressed. Only then would it start sending as it should.

Simple solution is to not turn off the radio, but in the event of a power bump... it's about 30 seconds for the backup generator to kick in. I guess there is always the option of battery backup.

I guess what I'm asking is if this is normal behavior for the XTL?

jayhawkfirearms

Premium Subscriber
Reviving this topic.

We're once again looking into this and would like traffic from both P25 trunked and VHF simplex passed back and forth over each system. This will allow us to hear VHF voice pages over P25, and hear our P25 operations over our VHF pagers.

I was in contact with our 911 provincial coordinator who also manages the P25 system for the province. He is only aware of 1 other fire dept having a similar setup. He wasn't sure on the equipment needed or the process to set it up and just said I should reach out to that dept specifically for more info.

I have never received an email back from our dispatch center with their thoughts so I may have to try again.

To be continued....
Did you ever figure out how to do this, we have the same exact radios, can’t afford the interconnect system, XTL2500 to CM200 or CM300. Would like to hear traffic on both bands.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Did you ever figure out how to do this, we have the same exact radios, can’t afford the interconnect system, XTL2500 to CM200 or CM300. Would like to hear traffic on both bands.

It's actually pretty straight forward for the XTL 1500 and CM200 Models.

XTL to CM200
Pin 13 ACT to pin 3 PTT
Pin 21 RX to pin 2 MIC
Pin 14 GRD to pin 7 GRD

CM200 to XTL 1500
Pin 11 RX to pin 23 MIC
Pin 8 COS to pin 16 PTT

jayhawkfirearms

Premium Subscriber
It's actually pretty straight forward for the XTL 1500 and CM200 Models.

XTL to CM200
Pin 13 ACT to pin 3 PTT
Pin 21 RX to pin 2 MIC
Pin 14 GRD to pin 7 GRD

CM200 to XTL 1500
Pin 11 RX to pin 23 MIC
Pin 8 COS to pin 16 PTT
Any programming need to be done to either radio for this to work correctly other than having the appropriate channels. Just wondered if any options need to be turned on.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Any programming need to be done to either radio for this to work correctly other than having the appropriate channels. Just wondered if any options need to be turned on.
Ours didn't need any programming. Best to try it and see if it works.

jayhawkfirearms

Premium Subscriber
The CM will require programming. the XTL will only require audio change but nothing with pins.
What programming will need to be done? Realized my mistake and why I couldn’t get it working a first (user error) and now I have it where the 800 transmits to the vhf, but the vhf won’t transmit to the 800.

jayhawkfirearms

Premium Subscriber
What wire did you use to go to PTT on the XTL ? Pin 8 ? If so that needs changed in the CM300 to PL/CSQ Detect and Low.
What wire did you use to go to PTT on the XTL ? Pin 8 ? If so that needs changed in the CM300 to PL/CSQ Detect and Low.
XTL to CM200
Pin 13 ACT to pin 3 PTT
Pin 21 RX to pin 2 MIC
Pin 14 GRD to pin 7 GRD

CM200 to XTL 1500
Pin 11 RX to pin 23 MIC
Pin 8 COS to pin 16 PTT

This is what I used as provided above, the 800 transmits and can be heard on the 800 and the VHF, when we transmit on the VHF, it won't kick the 800 so we get no handshake or traffic.

jayhawkfirearms

Premium Subscriber
Got radio back from the shop today and it works great, they programmed it so I could use COS or PL/DPL. They recommended using PL/DPL. Really didn’t explain why, and recommendation from the crowd and why?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Got radio back from the shop today and it works great, they programmed it so I could use COS or PL/DPL. They recommended using PL/DPL. Really didn’t explain why, and recommendation from the crowd and why?

COS will trigger off any carrier on the frequency. That carrier could be from another agency that you don't want to hear, from interference, or anything else that the radio receives.

The PL/DPL operated switch will only trigger if it hears a carrier AND the PL/DPL match, increasing the chances that what gets passed is what you actually want to hear, and reduce the chances for random interference to trigger things.